O

opus007

Enthusiast
Can I rewind these ciols and all will be ok.They come out of a set of B&W 685 speakers I sold and had them reurned to me in this condition.The drivers are all working and it even works with the coils in this condition.

For replacement pats B&W wants 104.00 per board and both crossovers look like the picture.The buyer took delivery months ago,left good feedback on Agon and today I received them back in this condition with a note in the box saying bad speaker.The buyer never has recontacted me so I feel he is a idot and why he did this as I can not believe that it is ups damage as the box I sent them in and the speakers and cabinets are in no way damaged.

What should I do as I want to repair them.I would just replace the coils but have no idea what the wind is.Any thoughts and help appreciated.

Attachments

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It looks like the coil was glued to the board and if there were no wire ties, I would have to say it looks like the box was dropped pretty hard during shipment. That means you should file a "concealed damage" claim with whoever you used. UPS has $150 of automatic insurance, but USPS has none unless you specifically paid for it.

O

opus007

Enthusiast
Yes there where cable ties on the coils but not when I got the speakers back.I do not need to file anything with ups as I was paid months ago and the buyer has my phone number and email address and not a peep out of him.he has not contacted me or disputed the transaction on Agon.

He eveidently took them apart for whatever reason and did what he did for whatever reason.My concern is fixing them as I am going to keep them.

my question now is can I rewind the coils and though it will not be a pristine rewind will they work as they should.I will rewind them to the best of my ability and hot glue them and re cable tie them.
thanks
Shaun

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes there where cable ties on the coils but not when I got the speakers back.I do not need to file anything with ups as I was paid months ago and the buyer has my phone number and email address and not a peep out of him.he has not contacted me or disputed the transaction on Agon.

He eveidently took them apart for whatever reason and did what he did for whatever reason.My concern is fixing them as I am going to keep them.

my question now is can I rewind the coils and though it will not be a pristine rewind will they work as they should.I will rewind them to the best of my ability and hot glue them and re cable tie them.
thanks
Shaun
If you hand wire them the coils will have a different inductance. You will have to wind them perfectly to the previous dimension (diameter and length)

You will need to check the values with an inductance bridge. You will need to know the specified value, in mH.

Your best solution is to get the value of those coils from B & W and buy coils of the same value from Madisound.

O

opus007

Enthusiast
Will madisound make a special conductor?I found the schematic for the crossover and it lists the conductor as 1.35 mh 1.2 mm wire air core.Is the 1.2 mm the size of the wire?I do not see this value on there site.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Will madisound make a special conductor?I found the schematic for the crossover and it lists the conductor as 1.35 mh 1.2 mm wire air core.Is the 1.2 mm the size of the wire?I do not see this value on there site.
1.2 mm is the same as 16 Gauge.

I suspect Madisound will make you one, of not then you put a 0.85 mh choke in series with a 0.5 mh choke.

That will work just fine.

O

opus007

Enthusiast
1.2 mm is the same as 16 Gauge.

I suspect Madisound will make you one, of not then you put a 0.85 mh choke in series with a 0.5 mh choke.

That will work just fine.
Thanks TLS Guy.I contacted Madisound and talked to Josh.He requestd I send him the schematic as he needed the dcr ohms or something to that effect.He said for 30% more than a 1.25 mh inductor they can make them for me.He recommended I not put the other 2 inductor in series to compinsate and that the 1.35 mh is the way to go.I sent him the schematic and am waiting on him to get back to me.

I did contact B&W and they said I could go with a slightly higher or lower value if I had to and it would not change things dramatically.But of course I prefer the correct value.
Thanks again for your help.
Shaun

Last edited:
L

lennon_68

Enthusiast
Looks like Madisound is going to hook you up but if not Meniscus audio does custom values, their website interface even includes the option.

http://meniscusaudio.com/150mh-p-665.html
Then change "custom value" dropdown to 1.35.

I don't hear much about them but they came highly recommended by someone helping me with a project and have ordered from the a couple times - excellent experience all around :)

O

opus007

Enthusiast
After further testing the other day the drivers are all damged so a waste of time and money.So onto something new.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

After further testing the other day the drivers are all damged so a waste of time and money.So onto something new.
That's too bad, the cost of repair will not be worth it.

O

opus007

Enthusiast
Well after doing nothing with these speakers I decieded to try and fix them.I oredered the inductors from Meniscus audio .Great people there and a joy to do buisness with.They made the inductors for me at around 14.00 dollars a piece and shipping was super fast.

Also had to get a new mid-range driver.which I was able to get 1/2 off from B&W with a lot of talking and annoyance.So all is put back together and sounding good except one slight problem.

Since I have a new mid-range in one of the speaker cabinets it is a little brighter than the other.Just a tad brighter and assume it will tame down with some hours on it.Is there a way to break the mid in by itself?

The speakers are biwireable so should I just remove the jumpers and play only the mid.And if I do that will the new inductors suffer as only one speakers will be playing.Or do inductors need burnin as do speakers?

What would be the best way for me to do this.Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well after doing nothing with these speakers I decieded to try and fix them.I oredered the inductors from Meniscus audio .Great people there and a joy to do buisness with.They made the inductors for me at around 14.00 dollars a piece and shipping was super fast.

Also had to get a new mid-range driver.which I was able to get 1/2 off from B&W with a lot of talking and annoyance.So all is put back together and sounding good except one slight problem.

Since I have a new mid-range in one of the speaker cabinets it is a little brighter than the other.Just a tad brighter and assume it will tame down with some hours on it.Is there a way to break the mid in by itself?

The speakers are biwireable so should I just remove the jumpers and play only the mid.And if I do that will the new inductors suffer as only one speakers will be playing.Or do inductors need burnin as do speakers?

What would be the best way for me to do this.Thanks.
First of all ask B & W if they have changed the spec of that driver. That is often the case. If they have you need two drivers. Otherwise just give it time. My suspicion is though, that the drivers really are different. I'm not a big believer in speaker brake in. Not much data to support it, mainly anecdotal twaddle.

O

opus007

Enthusiast
The driver has the same specs as I made sure before I bought it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis