Codecs for HDMI video for PS3?

G

GordonW

Enthusiast
A friend of mine is trying to get a Sony PS3 to properly output video via HDMI, so that we can use it as a hi-def "video server" in a video room at Anime Weekend Atlanta ( www.awa-con.com ) this fall.

So far, it's passing audio, but NOT video through the HDMI port, playing Blu-Ray discs. As far as we know, there's talk of a codec needed for this?

Anyone got any specifics, as to what we need to do? IIRC, the projector planned for use is a big Sanyo, with HDMI inputs... it's relatively new (probably less than 2 years old, at the oldest).

Thanks!

Regards,
Gordon.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I think* you need to provide a lot more info, such as the component(s) the signal is running thru (receiver?), and the settings. Then there is the issue of firmware updates and/or availability.

If by codecs, you mean things like AVC/MPEG4, MPEG2, etc, I've never come this issue as far as playback.

The first thing I'd look at would be receiver/processor settings. Next would be PS3 settings. If the audio unit is Onkyo/Integra, you might need to put HDMI audio to "off" or something, and yes that's rather counterintuitive. See, the HDMI audio as "on" means that the audio is instead being passed to the Sanyo projector, which I rather doubt is reproducing your audio. Just an example. Good luck.

edit: I might repost somewhere else for more viewership, perhaps the general av discussions subforum.

N

Nugu

Audioholic
Sounds like you are playing just a blu-ray and not getting picture but you get sound. Right? If so you probably do not have a HDMI output setting the display device can use being output.

Simple fix is to turn on the PS3 and hold the power button until you hear 2 beeps. This resets all video settings and should prompt you asking if you want to use the HDMI you have hooked up. Let it auto detect output settings for you, do not change them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis