Coca cola made with real sugar

annunaki

annunaki

Are there any other sodas made with real sugar other than coke, pepsi, and dr. pepper?

Is there a way to get the pepsi?

Thanks.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Believe it or not, today I actually found some Coke that's bottled in Mexico right here in my neighborhood supermarket!

They are in those recyclable glass bottles, about $1.29 each. Bought two bottles right on the spot. They do taste better than the Coke we have in the States. The sugar coke doesn't have that sticky acidic after taste corn syrup coke has.

Now I know where to get more of that good stuff. I'm happy (even though each bottle packs 150 Kcal, and I just consumed 300 Kcal in addition to my breakfast). :D

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, we can get those bottles at christmas here (i think its christmas...could be wrong though. They're pretty neat and do taste better then the Coke in the can for some reason. I dont know why. It's probably the same ingredients, so why doesn't it taste the same as the canned stuff?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Well, it may be made with sugar, but even if it is made with high fructose corn syrup, some of the aluminum from the can dissolves into the coke and alters the flavor. It's actually better for you to drink coke from glass, too much aluminium in your system is BAD.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Ahem...has the gustatory superiority of Coke with sugar over Coke with high fructose corn syrup been verified in double-blind testing? :D

Actually, either way there's way too much sugar in soda IMO. So I prefer slow poisoning by aspartame with Diet Coke (or, in Mexico, "Coca Light").

You know what I wish we could get that they have in Mexico? Lime flavored potato chips! Dang, those things are addictive. Sometimes I find them in Mexican markets here. Sabritas is the main brand -- it's the Frito-Lay of Mexico, apparently.

I guess those and Mexican/Canadian/kosher Coke would be junk-food Nirvana, hmm?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Acutally Rip, in every other country I've been to (all over Western Europe), our "Diet Coke" is "Coca-Cola Light".

And drinking coke isn't that bad, as long as you don't drink it all the time (like I do....mmmmmm.....2 liter at work....)

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
I think the aspartamine in diet coke does you more harm than the sugar in the "real" coke.

Anyway, that's just what's I've read some place on the internet. Do a search for "aspartamine" and see what you'll turn up.

I think if we drink the real sugar coke in moderation, like 150kcal (or one glass bottle) per day, I think we would be fine. Just cut out some calories from dinner, and we are even. ;)

I've also heard that the carbonation in sodas are bad for calcium loss. That's another concern with drinking carbonated beverages.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
In terms of being bad for your teeth, I don't think there's a beverage worse than Coca Cola. You can use coke to clean the corrosion off battery terminals :eek:

I believe this is because the highly carbonated water is made with carbonic acid, which naturally decays into water and carbon dioxide. Any chem people, correct me if I'm wrong here.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Carbonic acid is quite harmless. Your body is forming carbonic acid all the time, that's how the body transports carbon dioxide in your blood.

I think the culprit lies with the sugar.

And diet coke is worse in this regard, in that whatever they use in the diet coke (some sugar substitute) sticks to your teeth harder than real sugar does, so it forms a protective coating for oral bacteria to cause tooth decay. You get cavities more easily if you drink diet coke.

Of course any sugar based drink is bad for your teeth, and your weight. But if you take things in moderation, I woulnd't worry about it. But ice cream, deserts, etc., all do that to you.

The carbonation in sodas causes accelerated bone loss. That's a real price you pay for drinking carbonated beverages.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

You'd be very wise to give all that crap a wide berth. Sugar consuption, whether from cane sugar or corn syrup, is at the crest of a tidal wave of health problems ranging from obesity to diabetes to heart disease. Both kinds of sugar are horrible for your teeth, and despite the urban legends about aspertame that clog the 'net, caffeine is a thousand times worse.

Do your self a huge long term favor and ditch garbage like that. You'll be healthier, live longer, and you can funnel all the coin you waste on all those empty calories into buying more CDs.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
How many of you drink orange juice? Gatorade? Fruit punch? Deserts? Candies? Your favorite breakfast cereals?

Almost everything in modern diet contains sugar.

And what about starch? Break starch down you have your basic glucose.

And if you only have your protein based Atkin's diet, your body will still make glucose out of those amino acids.

The only way sugar is causing the obesity (and it's related diabetes) is because Americans are consuming sugars in huge quantities, ergo we are drowning ourselves in excess calories.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
All sugars are not created equal

furrycute said:
How many of you drink orange juice? Gatorade? Fruit punch? Deserts? Candies? Your favorite breakfast cereals?

Almost everything in modern diet contains sugar.

And what about starch? Break starch down you have your basic glucose.

And if you only have your protein based Atkin's diet, your body will still make glucose out of those amino acids.

The only way sugar is causing the obesity (and it's related diabetes) is because Americans are consuming sugars in huge quantities, ergo we are drowning ourselves in excess calories.
The word "sugar" is too broad a term to be throwing around. There is a huge difference between natural cane sugar (sucrose) and the sweetener that is found in soft drinks and breakfast cereals and various snacks. That being high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). There is nothing natural about this product, and many studies have linked it with many health problems.

Do yourself a favor and read about how this garbage is processed and the health affects it is linked to. There is a good summary here:

http://www.westonaprice.org/motherlinda/cornsyrup.html

HFCS has been found to block the chemical that signals your brain when you are full. Therefore you just keep eating and eating and eating. Or you throw down 40 oz instead of 20 oz of your favorite soft drink because you never feel like you're full.

Fructose is not broken down to glucose by your body. Therefore any comparison to natural sugar (sucrose) or glucose is not accurate. Here is a quote from another article I suggest you read. "Because it is metabolized by the liver, fructose does not cause the pancreas to release insulin the way it normally does. Fructose converts to fat more than any other sugar. This may be one of the reasons Americans continue to get fatter." That's right. This stuff goes right to the liver and any excess is converted to fat. Why? Because it can't be converted to glucose by our bodies.

The entire article can be read here: http://www.mercola.com/2002/jan/5/fructose.htm

Educate yourselves my friends. Keep this junk away from your children. This product is only used because it is cheaper for corporations to use than natural sugar. Read the first article and see how enzymes and fungus and chemistry are used to produce a substance that your body has no use for. Unless you think obesity, heart disease, diabetes, liver damage, etc . . . are useful.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
If my high school chemistry is still with me, sucrose is a disaccharide and is made up of the monosaccharides glucose and fructose.

I don't remember all the biochemical pathways, but eventually if your body needs to burn energy, everything sooner or later gets converted to glucose, that includes fat, proteins, and starch.

Your body does use ketones under conditions of starvation (I think that's from fat or proteins, but I'm don't remember the exact details).

Fruits are beneficial for you, but I think that has more to do with ingesting all those fibers and vitamins found in the fruits, not with consumption of sucrose.

Common table sugar, the one that is derived from either cane or beet, is sucrose.

Again, I think the problem is more with excess calories than anything else.

And let me just make one thing clear. I started this thread advocating the drinking of Coca-Cola made with REAL sugar, NOT with high fructose corn syrup. And I stressed again and again like everything else, we should drink coke made with REAL sugar with moderation.

I can bet you 150Kcal of coke made with real sugar wont cause you anymore health problems than what you already have.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
I'm just trying to educate people on the dangers of high fructose corn syrup. Instead of starting a new thread, I thought this was a good place to mention it.

I agree that drinking soft drinks with real sugar is a better alternative than those with HFCS. When you have a choice between a natural product (cane or beet sugar) and a laboratory conconcted sugar substitute (HFCS), I say always go with the natural product.

Your biochemistry knowledge is decent. However, when sugar is in excess (which is almost always the case in the typical American diet), it ends up being stored as fat. That is after our glycogen stores are full. In our society it is nearly impossible to eat too few carbohydrates and most consume far too many. Hence the obesity epidemic. It's hard to start burning fat for energy when there is always an excess of simple carbohydrates (sugars) in the blood stream ready to be burned first.

Now, don't even get me started on partially hydrogenated oils!!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis