coax cable-nitrogen charged?

S

se7en

Audioholic Intern
I saw some coax cables that were nitrogen charged or something with nitrogen. Does anyone know what excatly that means. Does it mean it is at 75 ohms? :confused:

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
"Nitrogen Charged" refers to the type of gas injected into the dielectric (the insulation material). Usually the material is Polyethylene (PE) or Teflon. This is generally referred to as Foamed PE or Foamed Teflon. There isn't anything special about this, as it is very common in coaxial cables. While it doesn't ensure 75 Ohm impedance, it does lower the dielectric constant which in turn lowers the capcitance of the cable. Impedance is a combination of capacitance and other metrics.

Bottom line: is it a good thing? Yes. Should you pay a lot of money for it? No. Out of curiosity, what brand of cable were you looking at?

S

se7en

Audioholic Intern
i was looking at monster cable coax and acoustic research. do you know how i could tell if the cable is at 75 ohm impedence. the packages don't say anything about the impedence.

B

Bill Wood

Audiophyte
Seven

While consumer cable manufacturers do not usually specify the impedance for video cables such as component, S-video, composite or even RGB cables, nearly all are 75 ohm as that usually is the required impedance.

Bill

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis