Cloth vs Metal for grills?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What the?!

Just as I'm coming to terms with this... What am I supposed to think now?! ;)

The new Outlaws have, what?, metal grills?! What!!!?! :confused:

Since I don't know what to think anymore. Or if I should even bother. :p ...thinking that is. :rolleyes:

I have to ask: What kind of mesh (round or hex... photos weren't clear)? Can we approximate open area? And why does it work here? And if it can work here, why not elsewhere?

Please and thank you! :cool:
They use round holes. Here is a close up:

The Outlaw grilles do cause some comb-filtering effects, which is more prevalent above 16 kHz which would not be very audible to most people. The nature of their effects look more apparent on a simple response graph then they would be heard. The reason is that a microphone only measures the response at a single location in space, but the nature of the comb-filtering would change the response according to distance and frequency. If I measured the response at a whole bunch of different distances and averaged them out, the end response on such a graph would effectively resemble the response without grille. In other words the grille doesn't interfere with the response all that much.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
They use round holes. Here is a close up:

The Outlaw grilles do cause some comb-filtering effects, which is more prevalent above 16 kHz which would not be very audible to most people. The nature of their effects look more apparent on a simple response graph then they would be heard. The reason is that a microphone only measures the response at a single location in space, but the nature of the comb-filtering would change the response according to distance and frequency. If I measured the response at a whole bunch of different distances and averaged them out, the end response on such a graph would effectively resemble the response without grille. In other words the grille doesn't interfere with the response all that much.
Cool. Thanks again, Shady! I know i'm being a little silly in that post, but the review caught me totally off guard with the grills! Especially working hard to learn on the fly as I am, I really want to get this as right as possible, whichever speakers I buy.
Cheers!

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
My daughter’s cats (now known as Osama and Bin Laden) did a number on my wonderful Triad Gold Monitors. I had to replace a very expensive woofer. These speakers don’t come with metal grills, but I had Triad custom make 3 of them for when the “terrorists” come over.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis