Closed Headphones that don't seal

I

Isaac52

Audioholic Intern
Hey guys, I'm wondering if perhaps my head shape means I cannot get a proper seal on closed-back headphones. I was looking for a closed-back pair that could serve as a monitor while recording but could double as a personal listening pair as well. (Prefer flat sound signature, controlled and extended bass rather than boomy room bass, detail, soundstage if possible, etc., would rather not spend more than $200...). I tried a bunch of pairs at a local Guitar Center, and my favorite was the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, so I bought it. However, it doesn't seal on my head because I have a very prominent jawline, and there's just a giant space where it doesn't seal under my ear. I was hoping perhaps the store-test-model was just weakened through use, but the new model has the same problem. Do you guys have any recommendations for me? Are there any closed headphones that would even work for me with my jawline issue? Do I just need to give up on closed-backs?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The Shure headphones might well be a solution.

These might work also. I use them. They really fit closely to the ear. I find it hard to believe they would not fit pretty much any head.

They are also better phones than the ones you have. These are the best closed phones I have yet encountered.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have a problem with snug-fitting over-ear headphones making me uncomfortable (I get sweaty under there),so I now have a pair of on-ear that I really like. KEF M500. Supremely comfortable and the very soft ear pad seals just fine to the point that my wife doesn't realize I'm not listening to her and she can't hear them blasting.

Fairly flat response as compared to others, deep yet controlled bass. Reviewed well here. Under $200 shipped.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Head shape is a tricky one... no two will be the same, kinda like we all have different hearing quality.

I won't recommend Koss Pro 4AA's because they are heavy and boomy. I use Audio Technica ATH-M50x and they give me a good seal. My head is long (somewhere between football and xenomorph), but I have a fairly normal front profile so headphone fit has never been an issue.

Crazy as it sounds, your best bet might be to go to the HeadFi forums and post pics of your front and side facial profile, and see if someone can recommend a good pair for you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis