R

Rblaster85

Enthusiast
Hello everyone, I have been having problems with my surround sound system when playing Call Of Duty Blacks Ops 2 on PS3.
I have the following

Marantz SR5007
Klipsch RF-82 II (Fronts)
Klipsch RC-52 ii (Center)
Klipsch RS-52 ii (Surrounds)
Klipsch RS-41 ii (Back Surrounds)
Klipsch SW-110 (Sub)

There are times when I am playing where there is a large explosion, and I get a some nasty sound out of my speakers. I can't tell if this is the amp clipping due to the dynamic swing in the sound or if its just in the game. I don't have any problems when I listen to music in stereo, or when I watch movies with all speakers running. Dose this sound like my amp is clipping? I have read that the SR5007 really only puts out about 60WPC, which makes me think that I should get an external amp to help supplement my receiver. Is there any way to tell if its a power issue?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You should really turn it down to see if it's the game or your system.

If it makes those noises at a much. much lower level then you know it's in the game.

If not, you know it's a power issue and adding enough power to make a significant difference is an expensive and risky proposition.

To get a barely noticeable 3 decibel in loudness, you need to double the power, or about 120 watts.

Note I said "barely noticeable"

To effectively double the loudness of those peaks you'll need ten times the power, or about 600 watts, and who knows how your speakers will handle that.

If that's not enough of an explanation, check out this link for the same information only in a more visual and verbose format.

You might want to play it at a lower level.

A

Actran

Audioholic
I have a Denon 2312 which offers a little more power per channel, but run into the identical issue toward the end of the intro and some sporadic places in the game as well. Unless I turn the volume way down (~ -55 dB) it remains. It's probably still there, but I can no longer hear it. However, with most other uses the issue seems absent regardless of volume. My vote is that the issue is something with how either the game or my old school PS3 is decoding the sound.

I have one or two songs that I used to think I heard it on as well, but I now realize that it was actually part of the song. The intro to "Such Great Heights" by the Postal Service is one example.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you play the same thing over and over and it does it in the same spot even if you turn it down, it is in the recording (game, music, whatever) or possibly it is a processing issue. I had that happen to me sometimes with my PS3s and my previous receiver. Does not seem to be happening now that I moved to a newer pre/pro.

Unless your room is huge, you likely have sufficient power for the Klipsch speakers, but more certainly won't hurt the cause.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hello everyone, I have been having problems with my surround sound system when playing Call Of Duty Blacks Ops 2 on PS3.
I have the following

Marantz SR5007
Klipsch RF-82 II (Fronts)
Klipsch RC-52 ii (Center)
Klipsch RS-52 ii (Surrounds)
Klipsch RS-41 ii (Back Surrounds)
Klipsch SW-110 (Sub)

There are times when I am playing where there is a large explosion, and I get a some nasty sound out of my speakers. I can't tell if this is the amp clipping due to the dynamic swing in the sound or if its just in the game. I don't have any problems when I listen to music in stereo, or when I watch movies with all speakers running. Dose this sound like my amp is clipping? I have read that the SR5007 really only puts out about 60WPC, which makes me think that I should get an external amp to help supplement my receiver. Is there any way to tell if its a power issue?
Do you know exactly what "explosion" in BLOPS2 is causing the noise?

When you get hit with an EMP, it is LOUD on the LFEs. The first time it happened to me (running Rythmik F15HP), for just a split second I thought a truck hit the side of my house, scared the crap out of me.

You can get about 1/2 the bass output if you equip an EMP grenade and throw it right at your own feet. That could let you test it out. The point is that the bass is usually what demands the power. You may just be hearing the bass effects, you may be bottoming out the drivers, or you may be clipping.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't think about the sub and the fact that it could be LFE causing the issue. OP, have you calibrated the system? Maybe you are running the sub too hot? Klipsch is a mass market brand, so their subs are not necessarily among the best out there. AH reviewed the 115 and it was a pretty positive review though.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not a gamer but I do know that in real life, explosions go well above the subwoofer range. The initial impact alone can stress full range drivers. Play back Beethoven's 1812 on Telarc for a perfect example of this. The full range speakers get quite a digital workout.

But, to see if the noise is all from the sub, simply turn it's power off from the baxk of the sub. Don't change any settings.

Then play the game. It may not sound as good but remember, you're trying to isolate a problem here.

R

Rblaster85

Enthusiast
The distortion typically happens when a car explodes, I used the provided calibration software to set up my speakers. The sub is set at -9 on the levels (Set by the software). I tested my insufficient power theory by disconnecting my tower speakers and playing a multiplayer game by my self. I walkup to cars and drop a grenade, when the grenade explodes the car does too, the results were a smoother sounding explosion. All of the speakers sounded fuller with the towers disconnected. I believe this points to not having the required power.

A friend told me to try turning on dynamic volume which didn't improve the sound. I also tried increasing the crossover to 90 on all my speakers to try and give the receiver a break, However it didn't seem to make much of an improvement.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
The distortion typically happens when a car explodes, I used the provided calibration software to set up my speakers. The sub is set at -9 on the levels (Set by the software). I tested my insufficient power theory by disconnecting my tower speakers and playing a multiplayer game by my self. I walkup to cars and drop a grenade, when the grenade explodes the car does too, the results were a smoother sounding explosion. All of the speakers sounded fuller with the towers disconnected. I believe this points to not having the required power.

A friend told me to try turning on dynamic volume which didn't improve the sound. I also tried increasing the crossover to 90 on all my speakers to try and give the receiver a break, However it didn't seem to make much of an improvement.
How about if you give it a try in the puredirect mode? i.e. no room correction turned on.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis