God21

God21

Audiophyte
Hey everybody I'm pretty new but need some info on clipping. I read a ton of info on what clipping is and I get that now if I want to stop a pro amplifier from clipping how do I go about it. Story: I have a friend using an older crown concert amp, cl series I think, to power two custom subs and he's using a yamaha rxv series reciever and the amp will clip at high volumes (playing call of duty 2). Is there any way to stop clipping from happening or atleast reduce it? Any info will help.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hey everybody I'm pretty new but need some info on clipping. I read a ton of info on what clipping is and I get that now if I want to stop a pro amplifier from clipping how do I go about it. Story: I have a friend using an older crown concert amp, cl series I think, to power two custom subs and he's using a yamaha rxv series reciever and the amp will clip at high volumes (playing call of duty 2). Is there any way to stop clipping from happening or atleast reduce it? Any info will help.
Your hint lies with the high volume levels, turning it down will reduce clipping. Also, what type of speakers are being used. It is pretty hard to get a proamp to clip, the speakers may be being overdriven.:)

I had a problem with Yamaha and the x-over settings using the preouts, it may not be an option to reduce stress on the amp, but it is worth a try. If your friend has a subwoofer set the x-over on the receiver to about 80-100hz and bypass the subwoofer's x-over by turning its frequency rolloff to the very highest setting (not the gain). Then proceed to set the fronts and all other speakers to small.:)

Other considerations, the receiver's preouts may be clipping. If there is any gain setting on the proamp set it to max or near to it. The game's audio may also be compressed, and likely is, and could be clipping from the disc (this is not correctable). If you say it only happens at high volumes this is not likely the problem. Try playing the game at a considerably lower volume and listen closely to see if the same distortion is present.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Clipping is a generic term that means different things in different contexts. You are implying amplifier clipping; ie driving the amp too hard and rounding off the tops of the waveform because the amp cannot supply the voltage required to faithfully reproduce the waveform.

But first, how have you determined that the amp is clipping?

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Sub distortion

You could also be reaching the mechanical limits of the sub, causing the sub to "bottom out". This is different from amplifier clipping. Either way, it sounds like you are exceeding the capabilities of the sub's Amp or the Woofer.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis