Classe CT-2300 Stereo Power Amplifier Review

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
When my amp is distorting, I do not reach for a panel of experts and a blindfold :)

These difference are not always subtle.

Edit: Just having some fun :)

- Rich
They all distort but differently in many forms. My point is, when blindfold most people couldn't tell those distortions (0.05, 0.001, or 0.0001% of any distortions) apart.

How many times have you read a professional review that claims a $2000 amp such as the A21 that sounds as good or better than a $100,000 Boulder, Goldmund, or even the lower high end in the $10,000 range from McIntosh, Krell, Conrad Johnson, Pass Lab etc.? I have never come across one. Invariable they would praise the entry level high end A21 or Bryston SST2 to the nth degree and then would add something like, that is not to say it is as good as the $10,000.............., for example the $10,000 xyz amp just give you that extra bit of warmth, and that final touch of details in the highs, blablabla etc etc... Ever wonder why?

Yep I'm having fun too, fun is good.:D

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
They all distort but differently in many forms. My point is, when blindfold most people couldn't tell those distortions (0.05, 0.001, or 0.0001% of any distortions) apart.

How many times have you read a professional review that claims a $2000 amp such as the A21 that sounds as good or better than a $100,000 Boulder, Goldmund, or even the lower high end in the $10,000 range from McIntosh, Krell, Conrad Johnson, Pass Lab etc.? I have never come across one. Invariable they would praise the entry level high end A21 or Bryston SST2 to the nth degree and then would add something like, that is not to say it is as good as the $10,000.............., for example the $10,000 xyz amp just give you that extra bit of warmth, and that final touch of details in the highs, blablabla etc etc... Ever wonder why?

Yep I'm having fun too, fun is good.:D
I know why.

I guess I will never experience that final bit of control, heft, and air. :p :)

I think sometimes it is unclear that if we are discussing $400 receivers versus ATI 3000's or
Pass Labs and Parasound.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know why.

I think sometimes it is unclear that if we are discussing $400 receivers versus ATI 3000's or
Pass Labs and Parasound.

- Rich
I feel the same way in that regard. For me, when I say amps sound the same I always meant mid range to high end class A, A/AB and AB amps in perfect condition and operating within their specified limits with adequate headrooms. I would not expect an Outlaw monblock m2200 or an Emo upa-200 sound the same as any classe monoblocks. They may, but I just would not expect them to and would not believe it, not until I have heard them side by side in a blind test.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I know why.

Pass Labs and Parasound.

- Rich
Of course, I totally forgot the heft and air lol!!

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I feel the same way in that regard. For me, when I say amps sound the same I always meant mid range to high end class A, A/AB and AB amps in perfect condition and operating within their specified limits with adequate headrooms. I would not expect an Outlaw monblock m2200 or an Emo upa-200 sound the same as any classe monoblocks. They may, but I just would not expect them to and would not believe it, not until I have heard them side by side in a blind test.
I am on the same page. I never don't worry about was about small levels of distortion.

I suspect some amps produce less harmonics played at low levels and that may matter if you have a system/room capable of resolving them.

Some amps may handle complex loud better than others.
Dynamic content can have greater demands than you can account for.
It is not easy to determine how much power is needed for a given system and I suspect we are pretty tolerant to clipping.

Well made A/B amps are more alike the different.
There are certainly better places to put money than some of these rarified amps.

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
any votes for an ATI Signature Series. :)

- Rich
I assumed that ATI was the better value, but perhaps I may be wrong. Parasound Halo might be the better value. I will have to look into that. :D

I mean if you could get the Parasound Halo A21 250WPC amp brand new for a few hundred dollars less than the ATI AT2002 200WPC amp, I don't know if I can recommend the ATI. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis