J

J.R.E.

Audiophyte
In researching receivers, I’ve found that the Pioneer Elite SC series differentiates itself by offering Class D amps (as opposed to the Direct Energy A/B amps in the remainder of the Elite lineup). Does anyone have experience or tech advice about whether upgrading to the SC series and it’s Class D amps provides a higher quality listening experience and is worth the price premium? I assume that the overall AVR construction is a higher quality, but if anyone can confirm or deny this, it would help.

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
In researching receivers, I’ve found that the Pioneer Elite SC series differentiates itself by offering Class D amps (as opposed to the Direct Energy A/B amps in the remainder of the Elite lineup). Does anyone have experience or tech advice about whether upgrading to the SC series and it’s Class D amps provides a higher quality listening experience and is worth the price premium? I assume that the overall AVR construction is a higher quality, but if anyone can confirm or deny this, it would help.
I doubt that you would notice any difference in audio quality whatsoever as to what you are using now. I have an older Panasonic SABX500 receiver in the back room that is powered by class D amps and I really can't hear any difference between that and the newer receivers that I have owned. The SABX500 is incredibly light but puts out 130 watts/channel. In my opinion, a well made class D amp can sound as good as any.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pioneer's parent Onkyo also offers class D amplification in at least several of the RZ avr models, too. Pioneer has offered class D longer, tho. As to whether it provides a different sound quality experience, I agree with Paul, doubtful you'll hear a particular difference because they're class D.

mcquicker

mcquicker

Audiophyte
Hello guys. I have a McIntosh 2205 that I bought in 1978. I've spent more in repairs than it originally cost. Still I think it sounds fantastic with my Klipsch K-Horns, also bought in '78. After watching some of your videos I get the impression that Class D amps are the future. Would you trade a McIntosh 2205 bought in '78 for a modern Class D amp? Many thanks in advance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think the CLASS of any amps will sound better than another class.

Class D amps just have more power efficiency and are lighter in weight.

But in general, yes, I would go with a NEW amp over an old amp.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Speaking of Class D power amplifiers, is there anyone here that has any experience with the Classé AMP2 power amplifier? It was their Class D model.

It is a discontinued model and it is currently being offered at 50-60% off from various Classé dealers (One close to me).

At that price, it looks tempting. It uses high-grade components for longevity.

1583787266825.png

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello guys. I have a McIntosh 2205 that I bought in 1978. I've spent more in repairs than it originally cost. Still I think it sounds fantastic with my Klipsch K-Horns, also bought in '78. After watching some of your videos I get the impression that Class D amps are the future. Would you trade a McIntosh 2205 bought in '78 for a modern Class D amp? Many thanks in advance.
I would not be happy if I had to repair an amp more than once (and that would be a single refurb after many many years of service hopefully).

I'd prefer a new amp, McIntosh has never been all that interesting to me either.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Speaking of Class D power amplifiers, is there anyone here that has any experience with the Classé AMP2 power amplifier? It was their Class D model.

It is a discontinued model and it is currently being offered at 50-60% off from various Classé dealers (One close to me).

At that price, it looks tempting. It uses high-grade components for longevity.

View attachment 34555
So $1700 for a 2ch 200wpc amp? Thought you didn't like to spend so much? :)

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I don't. And I know I probably look like a hypocrite being interested in an 'audiophile' amp. But I'm just wondering if it's any better than my Crown PA amp. Probably not. I guess it's the 'sale' that got me looking. I'm always kicking tires. I found one for $1150.00.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't. And I know I probably look like a hypocrite being interested in an 'audiophile' amp. But I'm just wondering if it's any better than my Crown PA amp. Probably not. I guess it's the 'sale' that got me looking. I'm always kicking tires.
Looks like a nice amp the little I looked, and was curious whose modules they used but didn't see. Seriously doubt you can hear the difference myself, and I've got several Crown XLS Drive Core amps so curious somewhat. If I were going to go upscale with a D amp I'd probably go with something using the Hypex NCore modules, maybe even just a diy kit if you really have an itch for it.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Good points. I already have a Class D amp, a Crown XLS 2502. It's a good little amp.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't. And I know I probably look like a hypocrite being interested in an 'audiophile' amp. But I'm just wondering if it's any better than my Crown PA amp. Probably not. I guess it's the 'sale' that got me looking. I'm always kicking tires. I found one for $1150.00.
Nobody's immune to at least the temptation of buying new electronics on sale. :D

I think I've owned enough amps to have it "out of my system", but never say never. :D

Hopefully my Yamaha CX-A5100 and MX-A5000 amp will last 30 years. :D

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Nobody's immune to at least the temptation of buying new electronics on sale. :D

I think I've owned enough amps to have it "out of my system", but never say never. :D
Totally agree ADTG, can’t say I’ll never buy another amp.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like a nice amp the little I looked, and was curious whose modules they used but didn't see. Seriously doubt you can hear the difference myself, and I've got several Crown XLS Drive Core amps so curious somewhat. If I were going to go upscale with a D amp I'd probably go with something using the Hypex NCore modules, maybe even just a diy kit if you really have an itch for it.
You pretty much nailed my thoughts here. If it's the ICE modules, meh. If it's the Hypex modules, then I would be more interested.

Yet, hard to beat the Crown!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey HD, them ICE amps that Pioneer uses in some of their AVR’s umm what are your thoughts on those? Shouldn’t color the sound right?
I couldn't tell you from experience but many good amps have successfully utilized ICE modules. I don't think they measure quite as well as Hypex. XTZ just put out an ICE-based amp....but if you can "hear" the class of amp let alone make of module, I'd be surprised

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis