Class A/B vs. class D amp characteristics in sub -- ? about a sub's spec

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
On a retailer's site, I saw this statement regarding a Martin Logan 12" powered subwoofer (sealed). For a non-technical consumer, can anyone simplify the claim being made?

"Ultra-efficient variable audio tracking power supply drives a class AB output stage for lower distortion and noise than typical Class D switching amps."

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
On a retailer's site, I saw this statement regarding a Martin Logan 12" powered subwoofer (sealed). For a non-technical consumer, can anyone simplify the claim being made?

"Ultra-efficient variable audio tracking power supply drives a class AB output stage for lower distortion and noise than typical Class D switching amps."

In the past, class d amps had a rep for higher distortion, this typically isn't the case in a well designed class d amp these days.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

It seems to me that they are beating around the bush about saying that it is a Switch Mode Power Supply mated to class AB amps

Forsooth

Forsooth

Audioholic
In the past, class d amps had a rep for higher distortion, this typically isn't the case in a well designed class d amp these days.
It seems to me that they are beating around the bush about saying that it is a Switch Mode Power Supply mated to class AB amps
OK, thanks. My dummy translation would be something like: "We use a class D amplifier which does the heavy lifting, but in the final stage the signal is sent to an class A/B amplifier. So the listener hears a class A/B amp, not a class D amp."

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis