Clannad A Voice and Sound to Pierce Your Heart

O

O'Shag

Junior Audioholic
Some music you may want to seriously consider adding to you collection includes the family Group Clannad and a few albums by their lead singer Maire (or Moya) O' Brennan. Her sister Enya enjoys popularity in the US. Enya has a different sound, but in truth she pales in comparison to Maire. Enya started her career as part of Clannad and she can be heard on the first album. She also collaborates on some of Maire's own albums.

Clannad are very well known in Europe. They started as a group in the 70s, evolving a form of music which is a blend of Folk, Rock, New Age/Ambient. More importantly, they evolved a unique and beautiful sound that is compelling, haunting and ethereal to listen to. The most important ingredient is Maire. She has a voice that is very special indeed. Its not often you can listen to a voice that can give you goose bumps - on a regular basis!

All of their albums are recorded with careful attention to quality, with the result that every one will produce true high fidelity on your system.

I did have the opportunity to see them live about 10 years ago at the Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles. What struck me was how good they are live. A sign of their great talent is that they are actually better live, with Maire's voice wafting true and sweet throughout the audience.

Do yourself a really big favour and consider purchasing some of these albums. You'll thank me for it -

Tuaim (their first album - more celtic folkish but its really fab)
Magical Ring (includes Harry's Game theme from movie Patriot Games)
Banba ( includes 'I will find you' from the movie Last of the Mohicans)
Anam (includes duet with Bono of U2)
Lore (Very popular album)
Macalla (album from early 80s)
Sirius

Maire's solo albums:
'Maire' (features her sister Enya a lot) Maire had just had a baby and sings about it
Misty Eyed Adventures (I love this one)
Moya Brennan - Two Horizons (Her latest album. A simply awesome album. So musical - Recorded using enhanced CD technology. A tad overproduced compared to previous - but the sound /music produced from her heavenly voice is stunning.

Theres more but these will add some beauty to your life.

Best,

O'Shag

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I have all of Clannad's albums, but to be honest, Landmarks is my favorite. Enya actually was a member of Clannad long ago; I agree their music is far better.

Fans of Clannad may also like Altan. Their music is similar, even the singers are similar. Altan is a bit more traditional as opposed to the slighly more pop/new age sound of Clannad, although Altan's last couple albums have moved them a bit away from the traditional sound towards the same world feel.

I'd love to someday get the chance to see Clannad, too.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
In case you're not aware and haven't heard it yet, Maire Brennan did vocals on a song called "The Call of the Wild" on the Alan Parsons' cd, "The Time Machine." A good song, a bit Celtic sounding with a neat little guitar interlude in the middle. Check it out.

O

O'Shag

Junior Audioholic
Rob,

I'll have to buy Landmarks. I have not heard it yet. I first became aware of Clannad because they did the theme music for a TV series called 'Robin, The Hooded Man' about 15 or so years ago. The series was really good. Michael Praed started of in the leading role, with Jason Connery (son of Sean) taking over later in the series. If you have a chance you should check the series out.

When I first heard Clannad singing the theme music, I loved their sound.

After the concert, which was the best I have ever attended, I got invited through some friends of theirs to go drinking with them, which I did up until about 5 o'clock in the morning. I ended up sleeping over at Micheal Praed's (came over to US and was on Dynasty or Falcon Crest for a while) and Finnuala Flanagan's (film actress who was his girlfriend at the time) house in LaCanada Flintridge in the Los Angeles Glendale Hills. What a brilliant bunch. No airs and graces, just really sound people. Next time their in town to do a concert I'll alert you.

I love Altan too.

Hawkye,

I will also check out the Alan Parsons CD you mentioned.

Cheers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis