Chris Squire R.I.P.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A sad day -

http://www.inquisitr.com/2208528/chris-squire-dead-founding-yes-member-succumbs-to-leukemia/

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33306933

Wikipedia has a nice compilation of info on him:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Squire

Here are some quick excerpts for those interested, but not anxious to read the whole thing:
Squire did not consider a music career until the age of sixteen when "the emergence of The Beatles" and the Beat music boom in the early 1960s inspired him to learn the bass guitar.[4][8] His first bass was a Futurama, "very cheap, but good enough to learn on."[9] In 1964, Squire was suspended from school for having hair that was too long and was given money for a hair cut. Instead he went home and never returned.[7] He took up work selling guitars at a Boosey & Hawkes shop in Regent Street, using the staff discount to purchase a Rickenbacker 4001 bass.[8]
Squire was fond of using LSD in the 1960s until a 1967 incident where he had a bad acid trip. He recalled that "it was the last time I ever took it, having ended up in hospital inFulham for a couple of days not knowing who I was, or what I was, or who anybody else was."[10] During his recovery he spent months inside his girlfriend's apartment, afraid to leave. Squire used this time to develop his style on the bass,[5][11] citing bassists John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, and Larry Graham as influences.[9]
In a 1973 interview for Guitar Player magazine, Squire obtained his distinctive tone at the time by rewiring his RM1999 into stereo and sending the bass and treble pick-ups each into a separate amplifier. By splitting the signal from his bass into dual high and low frequency outputs and then sending the low frequency output to a conventional bass amplifier and the high-frequency output to a separate lead guitar amplifier, Squire produced a tonal 'sandwich' that added a growling, overdrive edge to the sound while retaining the Rickenbacker's powerful bass response. This gave his bass sound bright, growling higher frequencies and clean, solid bass frequencies. This technique allowed Squire to utilise harmonic distortion on his bass while avoiding the flat, fuzzy sound, loss of power and poor bass response that typically occurs when bass guitars are overdriven through an amplifier or put through a fuzz box.

Squire claimed to have rewired his bass to stereo, even before Rickenbacker introduced the Rick-O-Sound feature, so he could send the output of the bass (neck) pick-up through a fuzz box, while keeping the treble (bridge) pick-up clean, because the last sounded "horribly nasal" when used with the fuzz effect.[37] He also played with a pick which contributed to the sharp attack as well as using fresh Rotosound Swing Bass strings for every show.[38] Squire's intricate and complex bass playing style has influenced subsequent bassists such as Billy Sheehan, Geddy Lee of Rush, Jon Camp of Renaissance, Steve Harris of Iron Maiden, Les Claypool of Primus, John Myung ofDream Theater, and Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots.[39]

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I saw the Last Waltz while I was couch surfing my way to WI on a motorcycle road trip about 7 years ago. Knew of the Band prior, but that definitely helped me gain appreciation. That, and the red head who put the movie on....

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
So sad. I saw Yes twice in the seventies and still love their music. R.I.P. CS.

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
This shocks me...sad. We shared some similarities...I stopped taking acid about 10 years later...spend alot of time in the bathroom still, etc. Just didn't have his talent.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis