Choosing in-ceiling

D

devilmanterry

Audioholic Intern
I have Focals Chora 826 for my front 3, and for the sake of matching when I'm playing music, would like to get Focal in-ceiling for the rear speakers (already evaluated lots of options for the rears, in-ceiling is the decision). What I'm wondering is, do I go with the 300 or 100? Price does factor into the equation a bit but not necessarily a hard limit. The 100s are on sale right now and pretty good deal. I wouldn't want to skimp on cost, but on the other hand the Chora are Focal's entry level speakers, so wondering if the 100 will mesh well with them. Any thoughts/opinions here? I know that neither are made of the same slatefiber material of my front 3, but figure going with Focal is still the best option to match when playing music.

D

devilmanterry

Audioholic Intern
I would go for the 100 8” in-ceiling.
Ok I was leaning that way as well, thanks. I see that you've owned Focals - how would you compare the Revel, B&W and KEF to the sound of Focals? I'm shopping for speakers for the upstairs now, and the Chora floor standers are a no-go, trying to convince the wife to get the 806 on speaker stands but not sure if that will fly either, some of the KEF, B&W and Revel bookshelfs are a little more appealing to her because of the size. We actually almost got Revels for the basement, but liked the clarity (if that's the right description) of the Focals more.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok I was leaning that way as well, thanks. I see that you've owned Focals - how would you compare the Revel, B&W and KEF to the sound of Focals? I'm shopping for speakers for the upstairs now, and the Chora floor standers are a no-go, trying to convince the wife to get the 806 on speaker stands but not sure if that will fly either, some of the KEF, B&W and Revel bookshelfs are a little more appealing to her because of the size. We actually almost got Revels for the basement, but liked the clarity (if that's the right description) of the Focals more.
For the most part, good speakers tend to “sound“ more alike than different, especially for the midrange and treble.

The biggest difference will be the amount of bass, whether the bass is actively or passively controlled, and the overall dynamic capability (for higher volume and farther distance).

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
Take a look at Triad.

Triad is a Portland-based company that hand builds speakers in just about every configuration you can imagine. They will even color match the speakers and grills to match the paint on your walls or ceiling.

Triad has In-Wall and angled InCeiling speakers and subwoofers that work amazingly well for spaces in which you have no floor space, or when you wish to hide the speakers from view. The company has speakers in many different price ranges, starting at $300 per speaker.

While not a household name, Triad is a favorite of custom installers and has won numerous industry awards. The company is also a prototype partner for Dolby, helping to design speaker systems for immersive audio.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis