Choice of equipment for music listening

S

Snakepilot

Audiophyte
How do older Millennials listen to music ? Through their smart TV but with external speakers connected through a receiver ? How ? What set-up ?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
"Older" and "millennial" doesn't really fit. I picture a headset that has to fit around a man bun. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My son is a millenial and he comes to me for audio advice. No man bun tho... :p

A budget and what you have currently will help a ton. You might be all ready to go with what you have now. There are a few good ways to get your digital content to play (or stream) on your system and you don't always need a tv to do it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm 40, but I think that Millennials use apple earbuds or beats from the iphone, but neither are best ways. It's either about convenience or fashion/status statement.

Millennials also don't hang out on forums usually :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm 40, but I think that Millennials use apple earbuds or beats from the iphone, but neither are best ways. It's either about convenience or fashion/status statement.

Millennials also don't hang out on forums usually :)
47 here. Living with me, my son (18, still in school) understands good audio. He's gotten a few of my hand-me-downs as I've upgraded and he really likes what he has. He loves watching movies and listening to music on mine. Sometimes we'll sit together in the sweet spot on the recliner/console couch and take turns playing songs for each other.

He likes a lot of bass heavy hip hop and some alternative stuff, not necessarily my taste, but it's fun to flex the subs' muscles every once in a while and he listens to my stuff. It's a lot of fun. He doesn't like mp3's any more (pretty much all he had) and has been listening to cd's in his room and his car as of late.

*Edit: I keep telling him to rip them to FLAC files, but he's too lazy to hassle with it. It's the millenial in him...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I should've said most, obviously some more lucky to have parents to provide right education ;-)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
47 here. Living with me, my son (18, still in school) understands good audio. He's gotten a few of my hand-me-downs as I've upgraded and he really likes what he has. He loves watching movies and listening to music on mine. Sometimes we'll sit together in the sweet spot on the recliner/console couch and take turns playing songs for each other.

He likes a lot of bass heavy hip hop and some alternative stuff, not necessarily my taste, but it's fun to flex the subs' muscles every once in a while and he listens to my stuff. It's a lot of fun. He doesn't like mp3's any more (pretty much all he had) and has been listening to cd's in his room and his car as of late.

*Edit: I keep telling him to rip them to FLAC files, but he's too lazy to hassle with it. It's the millenial in him...
That's awesome. We do something similar here, but my kid is 14. Spotify and pandora since he doesn't have his own real collection yet. I made a rule, even my wife follows. NO phone speakers, or laptop speakers. We have one BT speaker and that's where I drew the line. Lol

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
How do older Millennials listen to music ? Through their smart TV but with external speakers connected through a receiver ? How ? What set-up ?
Not a Millennial here, but yes smart TV with a Samsung soundbar at most they bought on black friday and thought it was a deal of a lifetime like the earbuds they got free with their iPhone and say nothing else makes their american idol videos sound better unless it came in piano black, sorry being sarcastic but much truth.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not a Millennial here, but yes smart TV with a Samsung soundbar at most they bought on black friday and thought it was a deal of a lifetime like the earbuds they got free with their iPhone and say nothing else makes their american idol videos sound better unless it came in piano black, sorry being sarcastic but much truth.
Lol........ Lots of truth in there.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wouldn't pin this on millenials exclusively, this is most americans, and I don't see it being particular to an age group. Old people are just as dumb as young people. The older I get, the more I am thinking that age is not what brings wisdom.

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
I wouldn't pin this on millenials exclusively, this is most americans, and I don't see it being particular to an age group. Old people are just as dumb as young people. The older I get, the more I am thinking that age is not what brings wisdom.
True, I guess as long as it sounds good to the individual and puts a smile on their face is all that matters. Heck look at the Beibs getting these Millenials to put millions in his pocket even he sounds like sh!# but at the end both sides are smiling.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Every generation thinks the music of their youth is the best and that music of succeeding generations is just dumb noise. Keep in mind, Justin Beiber is only what a small subset of millenials listened too. Musical genres have fragmented what is popular. Kids listen to all kinds of different things, and the 'top 20' does not mean what it used too. There isn't any single musical artist or style that had the attention of as many young people as back when everyone listened to recorded music from just a few radio stations or american bandstand.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Every generation thinks the music of their youth is the best and that music of succeeding generations is just dumb noise.
Well, I guess I'm exception to this rule. I vast majority of music I like and listen to ether made before I was born or while I was a toddler with zero chance to actually listen to it. First time I heard any US music was about from age of 14-15 or so.
Some of modern artists are pretty good, but I stick to similar music styles
In addition, as shadyJ mentioned, music discovery is now vastly different than it used to be and I love it. Most commercial radio stations just play the same top 20-100-something.

Other side of music could only really be found on internet, preferably in people moderated communities.
Algorithms based systems like Pandora could only go so far.

RIP Turntable.FM, RIP Plug.DJ :(
I spent so much time on both. Learned and discovered so much and loved every minute.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis