Cheap in-wall bundle to get by

F

Faustblix

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys, been a while.

:( in a bit of a bind.

Got home after high paying remote work and thought finally... I can start building the dream. Boy did that not work out.

Q750 towers, Q650C (that someone destroyed, need a new center uniq driver), sold my place to find a house... Shopping for the dream basement turned into "dear lord, please just let us put a roof over our heads" - covid pricing and market crisis. Top it off, had a baby. Love him to pieces, but he can't be in the same room as the towers.

So now the dream is cramped in a relatively small room... 4 meters by 5? With a 4700h, and no money or space for the intended q series in walls & atmos.

So I'm curious if there's anything thx compact or better that could swing a 9.1.4 in wall for under $1500 in a small space? Likely going to trade up my towers thinking... If everything is in wall with covers, and not bank breaking, I can worry less about the boy putting his hand through them.

Or do I give it up, stick with headphones, and wait till money allows for heavy renos. Feels like 3 years out for opening the basement and affording just 5.1 in wall ci.

Thanks guys.

B

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi guys, been a while.

:( in a bit of a bind.

Got home after high paying remote work and thought finally... I can start building the dream. Boy did that not work out.

Q750 towers, Q650C (that someone destroyed, need a new center uniq driver), sold my place to find a house... Shopping for the dream basement turned into "dear lord, please just let us put a roof over our heads" - covid pricing and market crisis. Top it off, had a baby. Love him to pieces, but he can't be in the same room as the towers.

So now the dream is cramped in a relatively small room... 4 meters by 5? With a 4700h, and no money or space for the intended q series in walls & atmos.

So I'm curious if there's anything thx compact or better that could swing a 9.1.4 in wall for under $1500 in a small space? Likely going to trade up my towers thinking... If everything is in wall with covers, and not bank breaking, I can worry less about the boy putting his hand through them.

Or do I give it up, stick with headphones, and wait till money allows for heavy renos. Feels like 3 years out for opening the basement and affording just 5.1 in wall ci.

Thanks guys.

B
9 bed channels? With your budget, the processor is gonna be expensive, the 4700 will not handle your purposed configuration. 7.x or 5.x is what you have available and with 7 bed channels you still need an extra stereo amp for two of the height channels.

Monoprice has THX inwall speakers that are extremely well priced for what they are. You could use them for your front 3 and then work on everything else.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would hit up some of the speaker options at Monoprice. They are still in-walls, but they have a fair number of options at price points that are reasonable enough to do what you need. I've used their THX models as well as their standard 8" 3-way in-wall models for budget systems. They have a number of choices which sound quite good and can really hit a budget. It's especially a nice choice if you want to keep things well under budget and save for more serious upgrades later on.

F

Faustblix

Junior Audioholic
9 bed channels? With your budget, the processor is gonna be expensive, the 4700 will not handle your purposed configuration. 7.x or 5.x is what you have available and with 7 bed channels you still need an extra stereo amp for two of the height channels.

Monoprice has THX inwall speakers that are extremely well priced for what they are. You could use them for your front 3 and then work on everything else.
Thanks for the heads up on the 4700h. It was such a while ago it was acquired I didn't realize it couldn't handle the whole gamut.

That changes the game quite a bit.

Yeah I've been looking at monoprice, I just have virtually no familiarity of any other contenders in their price and quality range before pulling the trigger on them.

F

Faustblix

Junior Audioholic
I would hit up some of the speaker options at Monoprice. They are still in-walls, but they have a fair number of options at price points that are reasonable enough to do what you need. I've used their THX models as well as their standard 8" 3-way in-wall models for budget systems. They have a number of choices which sound quite good and can really hit a budget. It's especially a nice choice if you want to keep things well under budget and save for more serious upgrades later on.
This being two for monoprice, I guess they're really the way to go. Has there been a typical sub you recommend on the mono budget systems? With my current budget I'm likely to scout the used market for a good sub.

I'm much more wary of previously used in-walls.

Thanks again guys, restores a bit of hope and helps confirm that monoprice are the way to go.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
As someone who had to mothball his own audio desires due to raising small children in the past, first thing I can offer up is, they grow faster than you think. I didn't have to do without very long They can be taught how not to destroy your things with some persistence and consistency in the training by the time you instead, save up for what you really want, other than this less than optimal safeguard system you have proposed that may just put a bunch of holes in your walls for nothing. One thing I had in my favor when I was raising my sons was I didn't have nose to phone nearly as often as young ppl do now, so I could check my kids most of the times they were about to fk themselves, or my things up.

The TV was mostly for the kids anyway. By the time they were 3 years old, they knew how to work it and just stopped caring about the speakers and other things in the room. All my youngest cared about was the Playstation. He associated the other gear with part of his good time and did not care to harm it.

Before I'd try to work all of these high expectations on such a limited budget, I'd just spend less on something like a sound bar for the time being.

By the time my grandson was 3, he could not only help his papa with some pretty advanced tasks around the shop, he was taught how to use and care for my turntable and records. Because of these things, he was extra cautious with letting anything happen to it, and would rat on anyone else who would get near it, including his parents. Here he is at 3-4 years, helping me rebuild a compressor. He also helped me build my subwoofers and the roll around record caddy for my vinyl collection.

They grow too fast. I'd just put this on hold for just a little while before settling for less.

F

Faustblix

Junior Audioholic
Yeah, he's growing up a little too fast. Hopefully he'll turn out as sharp as your boys. Right now he certainly doesn't listen as well by the sound of it. Tell him six times what's in my tumbler is not for babies. He's got two modes; push his luck or run cryin to mama.

You do boost my confidence a little though with letting him around them. Another confidence booster is KEF. I reached out again just saying guys - anywhere I can buy a replacement driver? They said what's your address? Bam. Replacement on my doorstep. So there's a little less incentive to swap fronts now that there're 3 again. Really appreciate them for coming through.

If I can more or less bank on him listening around 3 years, maybe it's worth holding off. Will have a poke around for a good sub to keep branching out and just keep price watching surrounds and reading up.

Definitely don't want to settle for less after so many years gearing towards it. With luck, maybe will have a windfall and basement renos will be a reality.

Appreciate your wisdom sir.

Happy Father's Day fellas.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, he's growing up a little too fast. Hopefully he'll turn out as sharp as your boys. Right now he certainly doesn't listen as well by the sound of it. Tell him six times what's in my tumbler is not for babies. He's got two modes; push his luck or run cryin to mama.

You do boost my confidence a little though with letting him around them. Another confidence booster is KEF. I reached out again just saying guys - anywhere I can buy a replacement driver? They said what's your address? Bam. Replacement on my doorstep. So there's a little less incentive to swap fronts now that there're 3 again. Really appreciate them for coming through.

If I can more or less bank on him listening around 3 years, maybe it's worth holding off. Will have a poke around for a good sub to keep branching out and just keep price watching surrounds and reading up.

Definitely don't want to settle for less after so many years gearing towards it. With luck, maybe will have a windfall and basement renos will be a reality.

Appreciate your wisdom sir.

Happy Father's Day fellas.
Same to you!

FWIW, there's always a few KEF Ci4100QL-THX in-wall speakers on eBay for relatively cheap money that would mate well with your current setup. Many times an eBay auction has a low starting bid, which I would watch and snipe in the last few seconds. Those or any of the CixxxQx series mate with or can replace the Q750/Q650 set if the little one is getting too curious. I do hope that you've at least added the optional grilles for the speakers you have, that'll definitely help prevent damage.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis