Cheap Dayton Bookshelfs sound really good...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I got my son a pair of $30 bookshelf speakers and an APA150 amplifier, and when he was showing me the model he finished last night he had music playing, and I couldn't help but be impressed for a $30 set of bookshelfs and a $130 amplifier how good they sound, plugged into his laptop with a 3.5mm cable....
These speakers should be the go to for any budget systems surround duty.... and when paired with the apa150 and an ipod they make a nice little mp3 system... Anyway just figured I would share....

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I was curious about buying those just to test them. Could make a pretty cool 5.1 system using those for someone on a budget. :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I was curious about buying those just to test them. Could make a pretty cool 5.1 system using those for someone on a budget. :)
Yah, I thought that too, but the center would be kind of weird since they dont make one, but nothing says you cant just lay one o its side I guess...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Are you using the Dayton B652? They were just reviewed in Stereophile and ranked pretty darn good.

I am actually trying to figure out an inexpensive 2.1 set up for my Nephew and those with the ML Dynamo which is at $150 may just work out. I was looking for a power source but you may have just found that for me.I just need to find the best way to come from his Mac laptop to this system. Thoughts on that?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Are you using the Dayton B652? They were just reviewed in Stereophile and ranked pretty darn good.

I am actually trying to figure out an inexpensive 2.1 set up for my Nephew and those with the ML Dynamo which is at $150 may just work out. I was looking for a power source but you may have just found that for me.I just need to find the best way to come from his Mac laptop to this system. Thoughts on that?
You wont go wrong, they sound really good, Now if you expect them to sound like a $1200 tower, than no, not too good, but if you keep in mind they are $15 each lol, they sound awesome, I have to say one of the best deals in home audio...

Your nephew will love them..

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief

Wireless is easy if you get an av receiver that does airplay; alternatively you could add an AE express to your system.

If you don't want to stream wirelessly, it's probably best to add a simple dac like the audio engine D1 or the HRT music streamer II.

Personally I'd go wireless and use the laptop as a remote control via iTunes and airplay.

H

HifiSystems1

Enthusiast
Wireless is easy if you get an av receiver that does airplay; alternatively you could add an AE express to your system.

If you don't want to stream wirelessly, it's probably best to add a simple dac like the audio engine D1 or the HRT music streamer II.

Personally I'd go wireless and use the laptop as a remote control via iTunes and airplay.
This is a great setup!

Congratulations on the great find- sounds like the performance/price ratio is very good!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My girlfriend's Dad actually bought a pair of Dayton bookshelves from parts express. I'm not sure which one's they were, but they were only $30 or $40 and I agree. They sound pretty darn good, especially at that price.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I don't have the speakers, but I have 2 Dayton 150's pulling ceiling speaker duty throughout my home via volume controls, and I have zero complaints. One of my favorite features is that I can hhok them up in a series for the source. Great little amp! My only other choice would be the Mini-x a-100 from Emotiva.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis