S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am no fan of Manson, but I think it is strange that everyone is celebrating the death of a guy who was clearly mentally ill. I also think he gets way more blame than he deserves for the Tate-Labianca murders, although I am not saying he has no culpability. I think his acolytes tried to lay as much blame on him as they possibly could to escape responsibility. He did not brainwash anyone. That is a story dreamed up by his followers that made for an easy case for the prosecution by getting everyone to flip on each other. The press ate it up because it was such a sensational angle, and it was amped up by those who wanted to use the event to demonize the free love movement and turn Charlie Manson as a poster child for everything that is wrong with hippies. No serious mental health practitioner gives any credence to the idea that Manson can brainwash anyone. He doesn't have his marbles together enough to pull that off. Later on he came to embrace the image that was given to him because he craved the attention.

Manson was a nasty guy, but he grew up in state institutions that were reportedly very callous. His mother was a 16 year old prostitute. He was a product of the society that he was born and raised in. If you read about his upbringing, you see that a life of crime was inevitable for him. Manson should not be thought of as a singularly evil figure, he should be thought of as a shame on the system that produced him. It should also be remembered that his crimes, such that they were, were heavily politicized by cultural conservatives to make him a boogeyman of the free love movement. I believe that some awful people are born that way, in that they do not have empathy, but I don't think that is true of Manson. He was shaped by his environment.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
He may be a product of a system that failed him, but you always have the ability to choose. It isn't as if he did't know what he was doing. Environment for sure influences many things, but not everyone that had a bad childhood grows up to be a horrible person. His followers are no different and really are the foolish ones, not brainwashed, just stupid. Saying he was a product of the system does not excuse his actions.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I am no fan of Manson, but I think it is strange that everyone is celebrating the death of a guy who was clearly mentally ill. I also think he gets way more blame than he deserves for the Tate-Labianca murders, although I am not saying he has no culpability. I think his acolytes tried to lay as much blame on him as they possibly could to escape responsibility. He did not brainwash anyone. That is a story dreamed up by his followers that made for an easy case for the prosecution by getting everyone to flip on each other. The press ate it up because it was such a sensational angle, and it was amped up by those who wanted to use the event to demonize the free love movement and turn Charlie Manson as a poster child for everything that is wrong with hippies. No serious mental health practitioner gives any credence to the idea that Manson can brainwash anyone. He doesn't have his marbles together enough to pull that off. Later on he came to embrace the image that was given to him because he craved the attention.

Manson was a nasty guy, but he grew up in state institutions that were reportedly very callous. His mother was a 16 year old prostitute. He was a product of the society that he was born and raised in. If you read about his upbringing, you see that a life of crime was inevitable for him. Manson should not be thought of as a singularly evil figure, he should be thought of as a shame on the system that produced him. It should also be remembered that his crimes, such that they were, were heavily politicized by cultural conservatives to make him a boogeyman of the free love movement. I believe that some awful people are born that way, in that they do not have empathy, but I don't think that is true of Manson. He was shaped by his environment.
Louis Armstrong's mother was about 16 when she gave birth to him, but he didn't become the psychopath Manson was. He got into trouble, but not like this. One difference is that, after his father abandoned the family, he was assisted by another family and this taught him a lot about how to live his life.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Gosh, let me check my sympathy bank for Manson...nope. All empty. And there was no system that produced him. Whether he was mentally ill or not is irrelevant. The world is a better place with him assuming room temperature.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have a friend who was raised wrong with no family to help, had some mental issues, grew up without a dime and ended up working hard, putting himself through school and makes a better living then most people.

I have another friend who was raised well, in a Christian family, put through college and had some mental issues likely secondary to the Meth he decided would be a big part of his life. He murdered 2 people and is spending his life in prison.

Circumstances play a big part in your life put there are ways around them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis