Characteristic Impedance in audio cables

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
Mr. Music said:
This issue of cable impedance is very complicated to deal with unless you are really an expert in mathematics and thus are able to understand and apply transmission line theory.
Apparently you didn't review the Belden paper. At audio fequencies, especially for the length cables we find in our set-ups, classical transmission line theory just doesn't apply as there is no charateristic impedance that can be defined, even Cardas admits this. It comes down to LCR parameters as the major components.

-Bruce

M

Mr. Music

Enthusiast
gene said:
Cable impedance really isn't that complicated. The basic equation Zo = (L/C)^1/2 allows one to calculate the characteristic impedance. At audio frequencies this is a moot point and only starts coming into play about 1/10 the wavelength. So take 1/10 (C/f) where C = 3x10^8 m/s (speed of light) and f = frequency (20kHz) and you get about 15,000 meters! Factor in typical cable propagation of say 60% and it becomes more like 9,000 meters or 29,528 feet! Cable resistance will kill the signal long before you reach these lengths.

I have found most of the cable theory on the Cardas website to be questionable at best.

John;

I need to spend more time re-reading that article I referred you to on cable impedance. My take from that back when I read it, was they were trying to show that resistance at low frequencies is the dominant metric of concern in cables. Such is the case with speaker cables. I thought when I proofed the article it made mathematical sense, but I suppose you will have me revisit it. Why do you make things so complicated ? :eek: ?
Ok, my backgound for giving my point of view is only my electronic enginering education, where I have taken courses in these issues etc. My professor in 1981 had the opinion, cables in audio systems played no role at all. Soon after I bought my first decicated speaker cable and tell you I've newer heard my rather new B&W 802 speakers before....!

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
FLZapped said:
If I have picked up where I think you are talking about......

Charge? Who said anything about charge? Impedance John, think impedance......he is <i>defining</i> the characterisitcs of characteristic impedance. By definition, he is quite correct, the impedance is fixed without regard to unit length and a set of lumped components, in fact, COULD be used in it's place. Radio would be impossible without this fact.

Therefore, at DC and frequencies below the transistion point, the impedance of a cable does not fit this definition as its impedance is variable with unit length, whch is what he went on to show in the paper when he talks about the effect of frequenncy.

His actual measurements in figure 7 backed up his work(through fig 6), so I don't see where the problem is.

Clear as pumpkin soup?

-Bruce
Hi Bruce..

For a capacitor:

E<sub>joules</sub> = <sup>1</sup>/<sub>2</sub>*C*V<sup>2</sup>

For an inductor:

E<sub>joules</sub> = <sup>1</sup>/<sub>2</sub>*L*I<sup>2</sup>

For a transmission line to set up a non distorting, propagating signal along it's length, the energy stored within the inductance per unit length is equal to the energy stored in the capacitance per unit length..this is the interplay between the two energy storage mechanisms which is part and parcel of energy propagation through space..and, for incremental slices of space, dissipation within that increment is of no significance to the propagation impedance.

So: set equivalency

<sup>1</sup>/<sub>2</sub>*C*V<sup>2</sup> =<sup>1</sup>/<sub>2</sub>*L*I<sup>2</sup>

lose the 1/2 on both sides:

C*V<sup>2</sup> = L*I<sup>2</sup>

Re-arrange c and l on one side,, I and V on the other:

<sup>V<sup>2</sup></sup>/<sub>I<sup>2</sup></sub> = <sup>L</sup>/<sub>C</sub>

Since <sup>V<sup>2</sup></sup>/<sub>I<sup>2</sup></sub> = Z<sup>2</sup> , substitute..

Z<sup>2</sup> = <sup>L</sup>/<sub>C</sub>

Now, square root each side:

Z = (<sup>L</sup>/<sub>C</sub>)<sup>1/2</sup>

In other words, the actual impedance of the media is dependent only on the equivalency of energy between the inductive and capacitive storage mechanisms...this applies equally well to e/m waves propagating through space, through media, and through wires.

What is being lost in the Belden analysis is the fact that in order to accurately measure impedance, one relies on reflection coefficients, whereas it is rather impractical to do so at 10 hz..

They made substitutions in order to simplify the equations and the models, but that model loses the simplicity of e/m theory..

What they did is perfectly valid for their product line, but their model falls apart for low frequencies as a result of their simplifications..

If their test method did not match somewhat, their model, do you believe that would have been included? Their test method is not indicative of impedance for low frequencies...it treats the line as a lumped element as the frequency goes down..and the distributed resistance for the timebase involved not only prevents their method from arriving at the real value, but confounds the measurement.

Sorry I had to keep the math simple, these equations are a ##### to do using html code.

Some real time movies showing propagation would have helped a bit..

Oh, the lumped components model works great as a visualization technique, but when you try to use a lumped component termination, you lose the physical reality of energy travelling along the media. The storage mechanism is entirely different for the two...using lumps for a wire that is millionths of a wavelength is stretching the simplistic model waaaaay too far, and in this case, presents incorrect conclusions. This is the exact same kind of pitfall everyone falls into with skin theory, with it's assumption of planar TEM waves.

Cheers, John

PS..the real problem? They are unable to think four-dimensionally...just like Marty.

Last edited:
J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
FLZapped said:
Maybe this guy explains it better...... I am coming down ith something and not in the frame of mind to put two coherent thoughts together myself:

http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~plusquel/650/slides/transmission_lines2.html

-Bruce
Well, at least he included skin effect...Wrong equations for skin effect, but at least he included them..

And he says 105 hz is where it starts, but the graph correctly indicates 10<sup>5</sup> hz. (I hate it when those exponents get dropped..)

As for the bulk of the equations, he uses the exact same assumptions, so of course, arrives at the same conclusions...

Five guys in a room...One says: let's syncronize watches...they do.

#6 comes in...asks #1...what time is it?

then, asks #2...same time.

#3..#4..#5...same thing..

Hey, everybody has the same time....must be the correct one....

This is why I lament the web being used for info..some things take on urban legend qualities..

In my opinion, all web pages should be subjected to this:
( ) The paper should be accepted in its present form.

( ) The author(s) should be advised to revise the paper according to
the enclosed report.

( ) Revisions Optional
( ) Revisions Required

( ) The paper should be rejected for the reasons given in the
enclosed report.
Can ya think of any web pages that would be, um....history??

Cheers, John

PS...two coherent thoughts together...at the same time???Geeze, ya got me beat...

PPS..hope you feel better.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Richard Black

Audioholic Intern
mtrycrafts said:
I hate to tell you but you will not be the first ;)

Of course I won't, you're so right! But has anyone ever produced any evidence at all of nonlinear effects due to cables? (i.e. any effects other than frequency response changes). That would seem to be a bit of a crucial point, to me at least.

However, thanks for that fascinating list of references, several of which are new to me. I'll spend a little time chasing some of those.

Regards,
Richard

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Richard Black said:
mtrycrafts said:
I hate to tell you but you will not be the first ;)

Of course I won't, you're so right! But has anyone ever produced any evidence at all of nonlinear effects due to cables? (i.e. any effects other than frequency response changes). That would seem to be a bit of a crucial point, to me at least.

However, thanks for that fascinating list of references, several of which are new to me. I'll spend a little time chasing some of those.

Regards,
Richard

I am not aware of any such effects or anything published if there are.
Not long ago, a gent in England did some distortion measurements, or attempted and found nothing down to -130 and lower, I think to -145 dB, limit of equipment. Not published just recounted on the net, with pictures. I think it happened here a while ago.

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/Cable-Distortion.html

You may want to contact Stewart Pinkerton in the UK. Not sure if he is in London or not. He is one smart cookie :D Try to reach him from his post:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=cn8lfn02dbo@news1.newsguy.com&prev=/groups?hl=en&group=rec.audio.high-end

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
OK..here's some pics..

The first is the terminal current for a 50 ohm transmission line that has been excited with a step function of 50 volts...several assumptions..

1.. The prop speed of the wavefront is 1 foot per nanosecond.
2.. The resistance of the cable is 1 ohm per 1000 feet.
3. The characteristic impedance of the cable is 50 ohms.

The first graph is the resulting current at the terminal as the wave travels down the line..the series resistance is increasing at a stable rate of 1 ohm per microsecond. Included on the first graph are the exponential best fit and logarithmic fit..both from excel..

The second graph also has the polynomial best fit, out to five terms..it is much closer to fitting the actual terminal current..

Although it looks like the terminal can be modelled as an RC, you can see that it is only an approximation...5th order poly is much better...

Unfortunately, not too many people are capable of using 5th order poly's in their daily routines...dey's a wee bit of a problem when it comes to the math...

Hence, my lack of desire to correct the Belden analysis...the more accurate modelling is entirely unuseable for most..and the exponential decay RC model only has two sweet spots where it matches accurately..it just has the right form, and is certainly accurate enough for most..

Cheers, John

PS...this is, of course, w/r to the moving framework of the leading edge..I tried to keep it easier to understand.

PPS...in case anybody comments, I let excel set the exponential fit on it's own. That gave the .7 intercept. If I force it to intercept at 1, it gets really bad w/r to fit in the 100 to 200 usec area..and, yah I know 1 foot per nSec is 2% over speed of light, but it made the numbers really easy to use..any prop speed can be put in..

Attachments

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis