Channel Functions vs. Speaker Labels….

J

JuniorInAZ

Audiophyte
Hello! I just joined the forum and am extremely happy to be here.

I currently have a surround sound configuration consisting L, C, R, L&R Surround and Rear L&R Surround speakers.

I would like to migrate to a system that supports Atmos. My current AVR does not support Atmos so I know I would need to replace the receiver.

My question and source of confusion involves the way AVR manufacturers label their speaker channels (I included an example in the attached file). This is form an AVR that supports Atmos.
IMG_0029.jpeg

I understand that Atmos requires at least 2 up-firing speakers. But which of these channels would the up-firing speakers be connected to? I always thought channels have a dedicated function…is that not the case for Atmos?

I am confused. Hope you can get me on the right track.

Sincerely

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello! I just joined the forum and am extremely happy to be here.

I currently have a surround sound configuration consisting L, C, R, L&R Surround and Rear L&R Surround speakers.

I would like to migrate to a system that supports Atmos. My current AVR does not support Atmos so I know I would need to replace the receiver.

My question and source of confusion involves the way AVR manufacturers label their speaker channels (I included an example in the attached file). This is form an AVR that supports Atmos.
View attachment 64739

I understand that Atmos requires at least 2 up-firing speakers. But which of these channels would the up-firing speakers be connected to? I always thought channels have a dedicated function…is that not the case for Atmos?

I am confused. Hope you can get me on the right track.

Sincerely
What is that receiver?

I can tell that it only has 14 power amp channels. So it is a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver in terms of power amps. But the surround back is assignable. So, it is conceivable that this receiver could do a 5.1.2 or 5.2.2 Atmos setup. I have no idea if this receiver has one or two independent sub channel. I also have no idea from the picture if this receiver has any preouts, for all plus added channels, or has preouts to allow for a 7.2.4 Atmos system using external amps for the Atmos channels.

As is the case with so many, you have been extremely parsimonious with the information you have divulged.

To add Atmos to your system you need a receiver that can provide 7.2.4 outputs. In other words you need 22 channels of amplification, which would be 11 pairs of speaker terminals plus at least, and preferable 2 sub preouts. Alternatively you need 7 pairs of speaker terminals and two sets of preputs, four terminals in all for external amplification for the Atmos speakers.

One other piece of advice I have is that many rooms are not suitable for Atmos installations and will not benefit from such. In my view you really do need to be able to set the room up to Dolby specifications.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Here's a pic of an Atmos receiver showing the height channels that are used for Atmos. The one you have a pic of is what particular avr? Possible the assignable speakers can be set for Atmos....but personally wouldn't bother with the bouncy speakers.
denon 3800 rear panel.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like a 5.1.2 capable AVR. As noted, the rear channels are assignable and would power a single pair of overhead speakers. 5.1.2 is ok,(and better than 7.1 imo) but lacks the ability to pan overhead from front to rear. Also as noted, dAE(Dolby Atmos enabled) bouncy speakers can take a lot of futzing to get right. Some people report good results, BUT I wouldn’t recommend them especially if there’s an option to use tops or heights.

J

JuniorInAZ

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone….

Sorry for the confusion…I purposely didnt include the Make/Model because I didn’t want to seem like I was pushing or advertising a company/product. The AVR example is a Denon AVR-X1700H.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok no worries. I don’t think anyone would be worried about that around here. Until you started talking about how it’s so much better than anything else in the whole world etc. lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi Everyone….

Sorry for the confusion…I purposely didnt include the Make/Model because I didn’t want to seem like I was pushing or advertising a company/product. The AVR example is a Denon AVR-X1700H.
We much prefer specific make/models involved so we can look at it in detail, so you don't have to post details yourself. The quality of the product will be what it is....

The X1700 is somewhat low on the Denon AVR scheme, but a decent unit if it meets your needs for amps/processing/channels....

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
As was mentioned, the assignable speaker terminals can be used for surround back speakers in a 7.1 configuration or as the height speakers in a 5.1.2 configuration.
IMG_4392.jpeg

IMG_4394.jpeg

IMG_4395.jpeg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hi Everyone….

Sorry for the confusion…I purposely didn't include the Make/Model because I didn’t want to seem like I was pushing or advertising a company/product. The AVR example is a Denon AVR-X1700H.
As Treb pointed out from the Denon manual, the X1700H does support ATMOS but you would need to disconnect the rear surrounds and wire them to either in-ceiling ATMOS or front upward firing ATMOS speakers and reconfigure them as Top Middle or Front Dolby. To add ATMOS to your current setup, you need to step up to an AVR with 2 or 4 more added channels of amplification, like lovinthehd pictured, and connect them to the Height terminals, which again get configured as either Height, Top or Front Dolby depending upon what speaker placement you use.

In general, we are not fans of front dolby "bouncy house" speakers. In-ceiling or height speakers will yield a more realistic sound envelope. Whether you can make good use of rear surrounds depends on the room size and layout. I have the couch against the back wall, so I can't do rear speakers. If your room is big enough to have the rear speakers spaced properly, then upgrading to an AVR with more channels to add ATMOS makes sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis