Chance to buy a Marantz 1060

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Opinions wanted. I have a chance to own a restored Marantz model 1060. I currently have a Yamaha RX-A1060 AVR (funny, I just realized the Marantz I may buy also is also a 1060) in my HT with Klipsch Forte II's for mains. When I play music, I go straight (or 2.1). I have often wanted to try my Forte II's with a tube amp or vintage receiver. I would still probably revert back to the AVR though, because A, I need my HT system and B, I like having the subwoofer even for playing LP's. But it would be cool to own this. Just wondering though, would I even notice a difference in 2-channel sound? Would the vintage Marantz be better in some way? Or is the Yamaha technology somehow up to snuff compared to vintage amps? The RX-A1060 is not exactly new, but close I suppose. Probably 5 or 6 years old. If I buy it, I would love to try it with my Klipsches, but also, in my den I have a 2 channel system where it would be more permanently hooked up, but that system barely gets used.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
btw, the Marantz puts out 30 wpc. Since Klipsch Heritage speakers are highly efficient, I would think that 30wpc is plenty of power for a smaller than average living room.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really don't think you'll notice any difference with the Marantz if it's functioning properly. "They don't make 'em like they used to" applies to some aspects of the old amps, but sound quality has remained more or less the same over the years. There hasn't been a step backward in that respect.

30 wpc isn't much, but you do have very efficient speakers and could probably reach some decent volume. I just don't see a reason to get it aside from the warm fuzzies or just to have a vintage amp. Personally I'd shoot for more power but I've been known to play it loud occasionally.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I appreciate that input pogre. Really good price with the walnut case. So, yeah, if I buy it it would be for the warm fuzzies. It is good to know that the Yam is not a step back. It does sound good as it is. The amp is a good 75 miles north of me.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I appreciate that input pogre. Really good price with the walnut case. So, yeah, if I buy it it would be for the warm fuzzies. It is good to know that the Yam is not a step back. It does sound good as it is. The amp is a good 75 miles north of me.
I just played around with this spl calculator and for fun punched in your speaker's sensitivity of 99 dB. You can still hit 107 dB seated 10 feet away from those things with only 30 watts! I knew they were sensitive, but that surprised me. So yeah, I'd say 30 watts per channel is more than enough power for those speakers to hit some lively volumes with no problem.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I just played around with this spl calculator and for fun punched in your speaker's sensitivity of 99 dB. You can still hit 107 dB seated 10 feet away from those things with only 30 watts! I knew they were sensitive, but that surprised me. So yeah, I'd say 30 watts per channel is more than enough power for those speakers to hit some lively volumes with no problem.

That is pretty cool. I have heard you can run Klipschorns loud with 1 watt with a tube amp. I have never tried it. But I have never heard Klipschorns period. Ha. I also have Heresy III's in another HT system. Same as Forte II's as far as efficiency? That would be my guess.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Just checked Heresy III sensitivity and they are also 99 db.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just Googled. I don't even know what that means.
Klipsch tends to use an "in-room" spec rather than anechoic, relying on some unknown cabin gain. Just consider compared to most other sensitivity spec, the Klipsch tend to be 4-5 dB over general standards, which is very misleading as to just how sensitive they actually are....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Back to the original proposition a bit, why do you think the old Marantz unit will have benefits?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I probably heard bad information over the years and believed it. Not sure why I ever thought that would be true. I am really glad to hear that a vintage amp not improve anything over my Yamaha AVR.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Or.... it is possible that this erroneous notion was birthed within my own head! Thx for steering me right!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Or.... it is possible that this erroneous notion was birthed within my own head! Thx for steering me right!
Hey, no biggie really. You're here asking questions so it's not like you're acting blindly, right? If you can get a good deal on it and it's something you want, for whatever reason, I say go for it. Even if Klipsch is a little optimistic with their sensitivity specs and let's say it's 94 dB instead of 99 dB, 30 watts is still enough to get you north of 100 dB at 10 feet. Just don't try using it for a house party or something and I think you'll be happy with it.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Hey, no biggie really. You're here asking questions so it's not like you're acting blindly, right? If you can get a good deal on it and it's something you want, for whatever reason, I say go for it. Even if Klipsch is a little optimistic with their sensitivity specs and let's say it's 94 dB instead of 99 dB, 30 watts is still enough to get you north of 100 dB. Just don't try using it for a house party or something and I think you'll be happy with it.
I am not buying it now that I found out it wouldn't really be anything interesting to hook up to my Forte II's, even temporarily. It would be cool to have, but I stated the 2 reasons in the original post why I don't "need" it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am not buying it now that I found out it wouldn't really be anything interesting to hook up to my Forte II's, even temporarily. It would be cool to have, but I stated the 2 reasons in the original post why I don't "need" it.
Yup. Fact of the matter is, your current receiver is more than up to the task and is going to sound just as good.

I understand just wanting stuff too tho. I didn't "need" a separate amp, new speakers or third subwoofer either, but I have them! :p

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I probably heard bad information over the years and believed it. Not sure why I ever thought that would be true. I am really glad to hear that a vintage amp not improve anything over my Yamaha AVR.
You may have read such for sure, older Marantz gear (from Saul Marantz's days of running it particularly) had a certain reputation for sure (compared to the last few versions of the Marantz firm at least). Your current avr I think has better specs, and is quite a bit more powerful, too. For higher sensitivity speakers an older low powered amp can work well, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis