CES Coverage Has Officially Begun!

G

<font color='#000000'>stevied4him,

I understand that the RDC-7 is still an excellent pre. &nbsp;However, when I purchased ($4500 retail + $50 1rst upgrade + $250 2nd upgrade) &nbsp;mine I was told it would be "future-proof" and that the pre had a modular design that could be easily upgraded. &nbsp;I was not told that in 2.5 years they would come out with a new "future-proof" model with a card based design, and I could expect upgrades to my current model to stop after that release. &nbsp;In addition, we were provided with 2 upgrades, 1 software upgrade for THX-Ultra2, and a hardware upgrade for better DAC's (and bass management which was much needed). &nbsp;I have heard there may be an additional upgrade to include firewire support, but it appears that may be the last upgrade to the "future-proof" RDC-7. So in the 4 years since it has been released, there will be 3 total upgrades to include THX-Ultra2, bass management and better DAC's, and firewire support. &nbsp;I really expected the life cycle to be more comprehensive (dolby-IIx, network support?) than it has been. &nbsp;It seems like instead of spending development time for upgrades and support of the "future-proof" RDC-7 they were building it's replacement.

I realize what other manufacturers are doing, and that is why I did not purchase their product. &nbsp;One of the buy-in's for me from my significant other was that I would not have to spend this kind of money on another processor again. &nbsp;

I'm not all that concerned with having the absolute latest and greatest (although it would be nice!), my biggest concern is that I will soon own a "future-proof" processor that is no longer supported and upgraded, especially when we look at some of the exciting technology coming, such as home network support and HD-DVD. &nbsp;Both of these I am very interested in, and if the RDC-7 can't do what I will need for these technologies (or others coming), then I may have to upgrade to something else. &nbsp;If that is the case, I don't know if I can believe IR's claim of a "future-proof" product anymore. &nbsp;While I love my RDC-7, I won't make the same mistake twice.

Not to mention that the resale value of the RDC-7 has just gone down the tubes as well...</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>The overwhelmimg majority of RDC-7 owners who posted their views on this and other forums feel betrayed by Onkyo and want Onkyo to offer a trade-in program for the current owners of the RDC-7 processor. I took the liberty of informing the Onkyo Customer Service Manager, the Onkyo Marketing Manager and the Onkyo Vice President of the opinions posted on this and other forums.

Nicu</font>

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
<font color='#000000'>Changing the subject: that Macintosh worst-of-show fiasco report was sad. Macintosh is one of the great old names in high-end audio with a legacy dating back to the tube era, and a company that made its rep with solid no-compromise engineering and brick house build quality. Though it has always been a component company first, rather than a speaker maker (maybe they should leave speakers to others). &nbsp;Too bad the marketers had the upper hand at CES; hope the company itself is still true to its roots. I know it was (maybe still is) owned by Clarion some time after the passing of its legendary founder Gordon Gow.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I thought I read that Wisdom Audio was going to come out with a new low(er) priced speaker and would show it at CES.  I recall they were going to be about $8,000 a pair - this would be their least expensive speaker.  Did anyone see or hear them?</font>

B

BICHO

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Stevied:
I just wanted to find out if you guys were thinking on covering Sony, Panasonic, and Toshiba brand products, especifically video equipment. Any chance to include new LCD TV sets?
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BICHO

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I wanted to find out if you are planning of presenting products from Sony, Panasonic , Thoshiba in the future, especifically LCD's and video related products?

</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Bicho;

These are kinda difficult companies to contact sometimes but we will try. &nbsp;I can tell you we are gearing up to do more video related reviews in the near future so stay tuned....</font>

P

pam

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi

Regarding RDC-7, the upcoming TX-NR1000 will come with 'card based' upgrade. So the technology from Integra Research is shared with the whole family: Integra, Integra Research and Onkyo.

Something else, I was wondering if Integra Research and Integra were siblings: They were having booths next to each other at CES: 1953 and 1954 on Alexis Avenue...

So Onkyo, Integra and Integra Research are all siblings of the same family. I have just discoverd that for Integra and Integra Research because they are not saying anything about themselves in their internet site.</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis