CES 2018 Best Soundbars Roundup

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This year we saw a big shift in the soundbar market from trying to recreate 3D sound through reflections to recreating 3D sound through discrete speakers. Also, with the popularity of affordable Smart home automation systems like products from Amazon, Google, and Roku, we’re seeing a push towards incorporating these products right into the soundbar. In this article and related YouTube video, we selected some of the most interesting soundbars we saw at the 2018 CES show.

soundbars.jpg

Read: CES 2018 Best Soundbars Roundup

R

Remc86007

Audiophyte
I have a really hard time believing that there is a large enough market to justify designing a $3k soundbar.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have a really hard time believing that there is a large enough market to justify designing a $3k soundbar.
I totally agree with this. IMO, soundbars are lame anyways, but 3k? No way. That’s a new pair of subs, or mains etc. there is a market for a quality soundbar to be sure, but for me 1k would be the absolute limit.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You say that there isn't a market, but when the guy that wants "the best" soundbar goes into the store and sees that price tag he'll jump on it without hesitation.

Those are fun/strange customers to deal with. Price is everything, but only if the price is high.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Look at the crazy money people spend on Bose....don't underestimate WAF power....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You say that there isn't a market, but when the guy that wants "the best" soundbar goes into the store and sees that price tag he'll jump on it without hesitation.

Those are fun/strange customers to deal with. Price is everything, but only if the price is high.
You’re right. And the saddest part is the 3k soundbar might not even be the “best” one.
Praise those with more money than brains...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Look at the crazy money people spend on Bose....don't underestimate WAF power....
Waf power is not to be taken lightly. I however have MAF power. That’s me approval factor. Or my own WAF. That’s Wills approval factor. I live here too, and while I do compromise with my wife, she does not get the final say.
And yes, the Bose marketing machine marches on!

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I can see where sound bars would work for a lot of folks. Especially the Keurig crowd. That's what these are. Keurig speakers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Waf power is not to be taken lightly. I however have MAF power. That’s me approval factor. Or my own WAF. That’s Wills approval factor. I live here too, and while I do compromise with my wife, she does not get the final say.
And yes, the nose marketing machine marches on!
Good situation to be in. Most men are not in that situation. I had TONS of male customer be VERY interested in a good home theater system only to be vetoed by the wife because the speakers were "big".

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Good situation to be in. Most men are not in that situation. I had TONS of male customer be VERY interested in a good home theater system only to be vetoed by the wife because the speakers were "big".
I’ve seen that before too. Its not very supportive of a spouse to NOT encourage the other to do something they care about, without at least listening to what it takes. One party(in a marriage) should have absolute veto power. That’s just stupid, but we do teach people how to treat us. I am lucky indeed, but my wife was conditioned long ago to understand that while I may not have a dedicated theater that doubles as my living room, I will not go without a decent HT experience. She also wouldn’t try to take that away as it’s something I love, and makes me, me. 7.3.4 is a lot to put in a living room, and we have been revisiting our common grounds, and goals on how I can upgrade while minimizing the visual impact of the gear. She hates my monkey coffins, but they’re what I have for now. A more elegant solution will cost a bunch so...This is definitely a group effort, and like I always say, I live here too! Soundbars and wave radios need not apply...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I’ve seen that before too. Its not very supportive of a spouse to NOT encourage the other to do something they care about, without at least listening to what it takes. One party(in a marriage) should have absolute veto power. That’s just stupid, but we do teach people how to treat us. I am lucky indeed, but my wife was conditioned long ago to understand that while I may not have a dedicated theater that doubles as my living room, I will not go without a decent HT experience. She also wouldn’t try to take that away as it’s something I love, and makes me, me. 7.3.4 is a lot to put in a living room, and we have been revisiting our common grounds, and goals on how I can upgrade while minimizing the visual impact of the gear. She hates my monkey coffins, but they’re what I have for now. A more elegant solution will cost a bunch so...This is definitely a group effort, and like I always say, I live here too! Soundbars and wave radios need not apply...
Well put. When I met my wife I had a living room HT in my house in college so she's used to it. Funny thing is that every living room since has had either stereo or no speakers. Ours now has a 5 channel in ceiling, but we've had a dedicated room in our house for HT since we got married. Started with an 11x11 room and has evolved from there. She loves movies so it's not hard to convince her that what I'm doing is worth it. She can hear and see the benefits.

Plus, she has plenty of projects for me to do since she figured out I know how to do things. Too many...:)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I insist that there is a large enough market to justify designing a $3k soundbar.
There are a few in that range. Are they going to be as good as 2 well designed speakers at the same price? IMO nope.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I insist that there is a large enough market to justify designing a $3k soundbar.
There's a large enough market for $100k speakers that there are many options, but that doesn't mean that it is higher than 1% of the market.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting. Would it still
Perform like a sound bar?
You'd basically be taking actual speakers (assuming audio performance was the goal and it better be at that price point), combining them into an enclosure that will no longer be small or convenient or easy to mount, giving up all the reasons why people want a soundbar.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
You'd basically be taking actual speakers (assuming audio performance was the goal and it better be at that price point), combining them into an enclosure that will no longer be small or convenient or easy to mount, giving up all the reasons why people want a soundbar.
Exactly. Unless the only performance metric was to have your tv sound like it was actually removed from the soda can!
Personally(and even admittedly biased) I can’t see spending 3k for an LCR in one box. It’s like spending 10k more to get the Prius over the beamer(or insert personal favorite here).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis