Cerwinmad H/T -reloaded

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Well i finally upgraded my screen! After much comparing, got an LG 50PA6500 50inch plasma. Beautiful picture, got it set nicely now. It was a store demo so got it very cheap, has 1400 hours on it, i didnt mind as it saved me having to break it in. After coming from an lcd, the plasma colour and black reproduction is breathtaking! Watched tin tin on bluray, truly stunning movie that for a visual treat. Screen size finally matches the sound!

Attachments

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Looking good! New tv day is always such an exciting day, haha.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Yes it was exciting, i could of got a cheap 3d set for the price, but id rather concentrate my budget on getting the best picture. Im not worried about smart features, just a good solid picture quality and lots of user adjustments, which the LG has. truly stunning on bluray, dark scenes with lots of blacks and shadow look beautiful.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
well update time. The LG 50PA6500 had the substance that bonds the glass screen leech onto the screen a little. LG replaced it with a brand new 50PN6500 (2013 model) . that was a few months ago. its looking very nice with just over 1500 hours on the set now. my receiver is getting on a bit now so looking into a new one. not sure whether to stay with onky.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Hi all! Well have just got a new Denon AVR-X1000 to replace the onkyo, and the difference is amazing! The Audyssey setup is awesome, the system sounds much more balanced, and clear. Bass is tighter and more defined.

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
Great Cerwin Vega rig and room. Those woofer surrounds really make me reminisce! The Denon looks like a good addition too.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
I'm extremely happy with the denon. The CV's are great movie speakers, easily able to put out ridiculous spl, with even modest amplification. The move to uncompressed audio has been an eye opener!!

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Long time, no see! I know have a big TV to match the big sound! I originally got a Panasonic CX 700 series 65", but even slightly off axis , the washout was terrible! I tried to live with it for two weeks but simply couldn't. I went back with a much more critical eye, and the LG 65UF770V was my favorite in my price range. Better colour and FAR superior offaxis Viewing (dims a little, but colours remain deep) . I read a lot about IPS panels poorer contrast, but it honestly looks better than the panny va panel to me. I had some corner flash lighting, but after cleaning the screen with a microfibre as I normally do, it disappeared. YouTube and Netflix uhd look incredible! And uhd demos off USB are breathtaking!

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Hey guys , been awhile! The cloth covers of the Cerwin Vegas were getting pretty tatty from kids and cats ( they learnt fairly quickly to stay away) and replacement ones were expensive to ship to NZ from the states. The tweeter and midrange have metal grills built in, so i decided to make some aluminium covers for the 12" driver. Im a CNC machinist , so had the resources to get it done! I wanted to see the red surround but shield them from sun damage and the remote possibility of impact. I came up with the design above! Opinions are most welcome! I left them machine finished, but could go brushed or anodised ....

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
IMG_20170370_111234.JPG

Also got an Xbox one S recently, the world of uhd Blu-ray is incredible. The Revenant was mind blowing!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey guys , been awhile! The cloth covers of the Cerwin Vegas were getting pretty tatty from kids and cats ( they learnt fairly quickly to stay away) and replacement ones were expensive to ship to NZ from the states. The tweeter and midrange have metal grills built in, so i decided to make some aluminium covers for the 12" driver. Im a CNC machinist , so had the resources to get it done! I wanted to see the red surround but shield them from sun damage and the remote possibility of impact. I came up with the design above! Opinions are most welcome! I left them machine finished, but could go brushed or anodised ....
As long as the aluminum is not making contact with the surround, and there is enough clearance, I don't think that type of grill would impact the sound very much, at least for a bass driver. Obviously, you would not want to put that kind of grill on the mid woofer or tweeter.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
I calculated clearance before machining, and tested using the "bass i love you" track at around -10dB , no issues with the sub 20Hz bass moving the driver substantially. I also rerun Audyssey in the denon. Still undecided on finish.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice! Check out MrBoat's diy grill cover (from page 6 of his Fusion build thread) in case the wide open space proves to be too wide to keep the kids/pets out :)
mrboat grill.jpg

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Here's a picture of the covers first machine op, i started with a aluminium billet, and milled out the rear side to depth, and correct circumference to fit light press on the outsideof the woofers cast aluminium fame.
FB_IMG_1489299903915.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis