Cerwinmad H/T -reloaded

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Nice room and system but all those windows make tv viewing rough. I'd suggest buying or making blackout curtains...they work very well and may help out your audio a bit as well.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
yea they are a bit bright behind the screen, but i dont do any serious watching during the day, although i would love to have the black curtains. The sound is great at the moment, and im stoked as the new room seems to have bump in the lower bass freqs as the "feel but cant hear" bass is much better, i had to turn the Velo to jazz mode as on movie mode, the boost it added was overpowering. The jazz mode is prefered as it doesnt have any frequency boost. My old room was restricted in seating position and i had to run the sub pretty hot to get a nice balance. the twelves in the VE12's combined with the Velo really fill the room. i run the Velo 180 degree phase and avoid any cancellation.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Update

well, its been awhile since i updated! ive moved the setup to the opposite side of the room, and tweaked listening position to good effect. will upload some pics next couple of days. i have a harmony 1000i remote coming to replace my old 525. looking forward to it, unlike most i actually enjoy setting up and tweaking the harmony remotes. :eek
[/IMG]

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
update, new screen

hey guys, finally got a new screen. Im on a tight budget, and managed to find this 1080i LCD for $220, it was one that was sold faulty (input did not work) and was repaired. I got it cheap because of this. It is a chinese brand, Transonic, but they used samsung panels on these models do it actually has a very good picture in HD, nice contrast and colour. Alsoi finally have HDMI in so can run my HD paytv in 1080i. :)

Attachments

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Thanks!, yes ive spent alot of time fine tuning things, getting the setup correct. The 32 lcd is kind of a stepping stone to a larger full HD LCD/LED in the future. the Onkyo tx-sr 503 is getting a bit dated, want to upgrade to a new model with the HD sound formats, HDMI etc, still sticking with Onkyo, The 503 has been faithful over the years and taken some heavy use! :)

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Not a bad set-up.................... for a Kiwi. Got any Lion Red in the fridge? :D

Just kidding, looks great. Welcome to the 21st century. Enjoy that new TV.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Not a bad set-up.................... for a Kiwi. Got any Lion Red in the fridge? :D

Just kidding, looks great. Welcome to the 21st century. Enjoy that new TV.
Ha Ha lion red is horse piss!!! I much prefer Heineken! yeah im finally catching up ha, the samsung HDTV CRT i had was actually an excellent picture, but no HDMI.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Just noticed this thread. Nice set up and progress. As stated above things definitely look more ideal.

Are you aware your receiver only puts out 75 watts per channel and not 130.;)

http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR503&class=Receiver&p=s

This actually really speaks to how little Cerwin Vegas really need to sound great and how little power most people need. The 80hz crossover point helps as well. :)

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Hey, yeah i was going by the rating in my manual for the Asian/Austrailian model, heres what it has listed for different regions. pretty sure its all the same just based on full range signal or 1kHz tone.

2 channel driven:

North American: 75w+75W, 8ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, FTC
European: 100w+100w, 6oHm, 1kHz, DIN
Asian/Australian: 130w+130W, 6oHm, 1kHz, JEITA

Dynamic power: 180w+180w, 3oHm front. 140w+140w, 4oHm front.
95w+95w, 8oHm front.

and yes the cerwins are very efficient, although the onkyo cant get the bass drivers moving really well.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Hey, yeah i was going by the rating in my manual for the Asian/Austrailian model, heres what it has listed for different regions. pretty sure its all the same just based on full range signal or 1kHz tone.

2 channel driven:

North American: 75w+75W, 8ohm, 20Hz-20kHz, FTC
European: 100w+100w, 6oHm, 1kHz, DIN
Asian/Australian: 130w+130W, 6oHm, 1kHz, JEITA

Dynamic power: 180w+180w, 3oHm front. 140w+140w, 4oHm front.
95w+95w, 8oHm front.

and yes the cerwins are very efficient, although the onkyo cant get the bass drivers moving really well.
The Asian/Australian rating is a single mid band frequency which is very easy to produce. It uses a different testing methodology. It is a useless spec for the most part and not an accurate representation of what an amplifier is capable of.

When ever looking at amplifier specs you always want to look at what the rating is at full bandwidth into 8 and 4 ohms when listed. 20-20,000 khz.

Also keep in mind most receivers do not output there full power with all channels driven. All the channels can output that much power just not all at once. Most usually rate there receivers with 2 channels driven.

Nonetheless you have a great receiver. I use the 506 driving some Paradigms. We essentially have the same receiver except for some of the newer features.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the info. yes the Onkyo is a great receiver which is why ill be sticking with Onkyo when i upgrade.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
been awhile since i updated, at the new house now will uploads pics tommorow. The new place has double glazing and it seems to help

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Looking good, I used to have a pair of CV's and they sounded great. My son still has them and they are still in great shape. Good luck in the new place. :)

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
hey guys new pics of the new house setup, carpet is a good thing, sounds nicer compared to the hardwood floors at the old place\

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
Looks good there mate! Carpet can really help to dampen a room acoustically.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
yes the capet made a difference, plus its a new place with double glazing which stops the window vibration . the old house had old 4mm glass and was terrible

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Congrats on the new place!!

This place seems to give you a cleaner layout. Yes carpet definately helps compared to wood floors. With the window being behind your tv you minimize reflections on the screen so thats good.

I was wondering what you meant by double glazing but now see you were talking about the windows. I thought you were talking about some sort of wall finish you use out there. Haha. We call it double-paned here. :)

Looks good, id bet its fun to listen to!

Hey do you recognize my avatar pic? :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis