R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
Hi all. I saw a pair of Cerwin Vega XLS-15 on FB for $695, half of original price. Are they a good buy for home theater? Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That looks like regular price to me. At double that price, I would not touch those. There are so many speakers in that price range, that CVs would not be part of that list.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Having had a pair of CVs (different model) a long time ago (like 30 years ago! yow!), I tend to agree with that they can get loud and sound decent, but I never got another pair either. There are just better speakers generally. But for big relatively sensitive speakers, they can be useful to you perhaps. Are you sure they are functioning well, decent condition, etc?

What's your setup now?

Possibly you could recoup the price and sell them if you don't like them? Maybe do some more research on actual sales prices on used pairs first....

R

roberco

Audioholic Intern
Having had a pair of CVs (different model) a long time ago (like 30 years ago! yow!), I tend to agree with that they can get loud and sound decent, but I never got another pair either. There are just better speakers generally. But for big relatively sensitive speakers, they can be useful to you perhaps. Are you sure they are functioning well, decent condition, etc?

What's your setup now?

Possibly you could recoup the price and sell them if you don't like them? Maybe do some more research on actual sales prices on used pairs first....
I'm trying to find a pair of speakers for listening to soft music at night while I'm drinking alone by myself, watching movies with family, and singing karaoke with friends after a few drinks. I currently have a pair of yamaha BR15. They are OK for karaoke, but not good enough for listening to soft music and movies. It's hard to find a good pair that meets these requirements.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm trying to find a pair of speakers for listening to soft music at night while I'm drinking alone by myself, watching movies with family, and singing karaoke with friends after a few drinks. I currently have a pair of yamaha BR15. They are OK for karaoke, but not good enough for listening to soft music and movies. It's hard to find a good pair that meets these requirements.
Hard to know from that description what speakers you might like more, let alone all the gear you're using in your setup. Sometimes you just need better sources, too. Karaoke is not one of my interests, but wouldn't want to run that through my sound systems. The kind of speakers you have are more suited to karaoke than just listening perhaps.....

ps The alcohol can play a role in hearing, too btw

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The CVs would definitely not be good for soft listening lol. I've owned some in the past too, they aren't bad, but as mentioned, they are more for getting crazy loud than subtlety. For "soft" listening, I might consider a pair of moderate sized, good quality bookshelf speakers. Maybe something like these which are around that $600 price range:

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If going the bookshelf route and for lower volumes, Revel has some good deals on their bookshelf models..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wasn't sure which, it was just a model search via audioholics. I see there have been several model incarnations...
If you look at the manual available for the XLS-15 on hifiengine.com, you can see the specs side by side in the back of the manual, as it also covers a few other models including the XLS-215....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis