Cerwin-Vega vs JBL - Depth vs Punch

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
zumbo said:
There is one major factor that is being missed. Most people looking for low cost speakers are using low cost receivers to drive them. A low cost receiver pushed into clipping is going to smoke the tweeters in JBL, INFINITY, POLK, and ATHENA. Not going to happen with CV.
The point is this. Most people buying low cost equipment expecting to jam are younger(no disrespect meant).
An answer is afoot, Mr. Holmes, er, Zumbo. Good show! And good thinking regarding the low cost receivers.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
zumbo said:
There is one major factor that is being missed. Most people looking for low cost speakers are using low cost receivers to drive them. A low cost receiver pushed into clipping is going to smoke the tweeters in JBL, INFINITY, POLK, and ATHENA. Not going to happen with CV.

The point is this. Most people buying low cost equipment expecting to jam are younger(no disrespect meant).
They want it loud.
They want it to hit, slam, shake the walls, or whatever term you prefer.
They want to blow their friends away.
They don't want blown speakers.
They need it to last until they are ready to purchase better equipment.

There is still one company making speakers in this fashion.
Low cost.
High sensitivity.
Large drivers.
Killer bass.
Protection for tweeters.
Fuse protection for entire speaker.

Cerwin Vega!
Way back when I got my first car, my parents urged me to find the cheapest piece of junk I could. Their reasoning was that I wasn't responsible enough yet to take care of something decent. Your comments about CV make sense from that point of view. A person probably shouldn't get better quality speakers until they have enough sense not to drive the receiver into clipping and blow them.:eek:
The budget speakers I mentioned are designed to sound good with cheap receivers, but not to withstand clipping.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Joe Schmoe said:
Way back when I got my first car, my parents urged me to find the cheapest piece of junk I could. Their reasoning was that I wasn't responsible enough yet to take care of something decent. Your comments about CV make sense from that point of view. A person probably shouldn't get better quality speakers until they have enough sense not to drive the receiver into clipping and blow them.:eek:
Has nothing to do with sense. It has to do with wanting to jam with whatcha got.

The way I see the car thing is: My kids can buy their own nice one. If I pay for it, it will be a junker. Reliable junker.

How do you jam at low cost? High sensitivity speakers, with large drivers. Also, protection built-in is a plus.

Joe Schmoe said:
The budget speakers I mentioned are designed to sound good with cheap receivers, but not to withstand clipping.
:confused: "cheap receivers, but not withstand clipping."
Who makes this majic receiver? With one of those, paired with CV, the sky is the limit.:rolleyes:

And yes, it may sound good in the demo over the period of minutes(in a small room). But get them home in a larger room, get brave, test them out, and sizzle.

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
zumbo said:
Has nothing to do with sense. It has to do with wanting to jam with whatcha got.

The way I see the car thing is: My kids can buy their own nice one. If I pay for it, it will be a junker. Reliable junker.

How do you jam at low cost? High sensitivity speakers, with large drivers. Also, protection built-in is a plus.

Who makes this majic receiver? With one of those, paired with CV, the sky is the limit.:rolleyes:

And yes, it may sound good in the demo over the period of minutes(in a small room). But get them home in a larger room, get brave, test them out, and sizzle.
I think he meant the budget speakers he mentioned would not handle clipping as well as the CVs would.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
zumbo said:
Who makes this majic receiver?
Even a cheap receiver will not clip if it is played at a reasonable volume. Clipping occurs when it is cranked way up. (The fuses in the CVs may protect the speakers themselves, but one can still fry the receiver this way.)

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
i agree jbl bullets cant take clipping,i compared them with 4 radio shack mach 1,s and a bose 1801 250watts a side,and within 5 min the jbl,s were smoked.the rest worked fine.but the crispnees was great.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Joe Schmoe said:
Even a cheap receiver will not clip if it is played at a reasonable volume. Clipping occurs when it is cranked way up.
But, we all know it's gonna get cranked-up.:D

Joe Schmoe said:
(The fuses in the CVs may protect the speakers themselves, but one can still fry the receiver this way.)
This is a very true statement. My advice is to find the receivers limit, and never go above that point. CV's will eat cheap electronis for lunch. (over a period of abused time.)

A

allsop4now

Audioholic Intern
zumbo said:
But, we all know it's gonna get cranked-up.:D

This is a very true statement. My advice is to find the receivers limit, and never go above that point. CV's will eat cheap electronis for lunch. (over a period of abused time.)
Some recievers have a nice feature: limit of max volume. Useful if you have small children or a party :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis