Cerwin Vega AT-8 & D-9 Troubleshooting Help

A

AndreaBlas

Enthusiast
For that matter, why 4 speakers in that configuration? Are you using surround or 4 channel stereo or..? For stereo music listening 2 speakers are all you need. Having 4 up front introduces a whole new set of problems like comb filtering for one.

Yes a subwoofer will absolutely give you more bass. No, the center channel is not ideal at all. Preferably a powered sub (or a passive one and a separate amp) using a LFE, or subwoofer output on a receiver. Tho I'm thoroughly confused as to what exactly you're using for processing right now and what your goal is...
1. " Why do you have the larger speakers hooked up to the bi amp channels with the smaller ones on front?"

---> It is really only because I didn't know which speaker sets to plug into Front vs Surround; so I literally just guessed.. A quick google search on this wasn't very helpful, so I just played around with it.

The larger ones I initially put into Surround, and then just tried it in the 2nd Surround/Bi-Amp only to see if sounded different
---> I have no clue where each pair of speakers SHOULD be in relation to Front & Surround ( I do not see a Rear option, if that helps). I like the larger speakers because it gives a little more "body" to the sound than the little ones if that makes sense - Also for sentimental reasons because they were my dads from the late 80's.

So the speakers are in pairs, so there are 2 of each, so 2 small ones (into Front right now), and that is all it accepts; Instead of just 1 small and 1 bigger one, or just the 2 small ones.

My Goal: Rich clear sound while paying homage to my father by using his old speakers, maintaining a relatively "older" look.

I am going to attach pictures, because I may not be describing things correctly since my words for this is limited since I am a beginner. I just moved in, so the layout is chaotic while I am troubleshooting.
I hope the images help clear up any confusion.

** I will look into this " Preferably a powered sub (or a passive one and a separate amp) using a LFE, or subwoofer output on a receiver. " Thank yo
4 Audio 1 input from prepamp.jpg
5 More Back of Yamaha.jpg
6 More Back of Yamaha.jpg
1 Pics of Speakers that I am working with.JPG
2 Yamaha Description.jpg
3 speaker wiring.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
5.1 ch audio uses surrounds, 7.1 ch audio uses both surrounds and rear surrounds. Running two stereo pairs with same content is not advised, so I'd change them to the surround channels and use a surround sound mode for now (and think about adding a center channel speaker and sub down the line). The only way you'd get sound from using the second pair of speakers on the terminals you have now is with an all-channel stereo mode or the bi-amp mode (which is two pairs playing same content, which I'd avoid except for parties or something where stereo imaging doesn't matter). I'd put the ones with the larger bass drivers as front speakers, the smaller ones as surrounds.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw the pic of the speakers stacked together....just not a good way to go....I'd move the smaller ones to the sides and maybe a little rearward of your seating position...or just not use the smaller ones.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
5.1 ch audio uses surrounds, 7.1 ch audio uses both surrounds and rear surrounds. Running two stereo pairs with same content is not advised, so I'd change them to the surround channels and use a surround sound mode for now (and think about adding a center channel speaker and sub down the line). The only way you'd get sound from using the second pair of speakers on the terminals you have now is with an all-channel stereo mode or the bi-amp mode (which is two pairs playing same content, which I'd avoid except for parties or something where stereo imaging doesn't matter). I'd put the ones with the larger bass drivers as front speakers, the smaller ones as surrounds.
I would do that too. It’s been many years, but my old D-9’s would shake the ground outside of my house with ol skool bass cd’s. Not very accurate, but damn loud and easy to drive. Those two 15’s were pretty good with bass, but they’ve been moved to my studio, and maybe they’ll go to my son.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
1. " Why do you have the larger speakers hooked up to the bi amp channels with the smaller ones on front?"

---> It is really only because I didn't know which speaker sets to plug into Front vs Surround; so I literally just guessed.. A quick google search on this wasn't very helpful, so I just played around with it.

The larger ones I initially put into Surround, and then just tried it in the 2nd Surround/Bi-Amp only to see if sounded different
---> I have no clue where each pair of speakers SHOULD be in relation to Front & Surround ( I do not see a Rear option, if that helps). I like the larger speakers because it gives a little more "body" to the sound than the little ones if that makes sense - Also for sentimental reasons because they were my dads from the late 80's.

So the speakers are in pairs, so there are 2 of each, so 2 small ones (into Front right now), and that is all it accepts; Instead of just 1 small and 1 bigger one, or just the 2 small ones.

My Goal: Rich clear sound while paying homage to my father by using his old speakers, maintaining a relatively "older" look.

I am going to attach pictures, because I may not be describing things correctly since my words for this is limited since I am a beginner. I just moved in, so the layout is chaotic while I am troubleshooting.
I hope the images help clear up any confusion.

** I will look into this " Preferably a powered sub (or a passive one and a separate amp) using a LFE, or subwoofer output on a receiver. " Thank yo
View attachment 35203View attachment 35204View attachment 35205View attachment 35206View attachment 35201View attachment 35202
You have a subwoofer preout! That's a start! I did a quick search and found an image to give you an idea of an ideal speaker setup for 5.1 surround. Of course omit the sub and center until you get them, but the other 4 are about where you'd want to place them in reference to the main seating position. I would have the big ones up front and the smaller ones in the surround positions.

maxresdefault (20)-512x288.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You normally keep the turntable on the floor? I'd try to at least move it away from the speakers to reduce feedback....and on a solid surface to further avoid vibrations.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Can’t believe OP is a squiggly... haven’t seen one of those since I was at Area 51.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's hard to tell, it could possibly be a reflection or graphics, but do I see a couple of stray strands of wire there? That can cause some problems if a strand were to touch another post or bare wire.

2020-04-06 16.36.33.jpg

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's hard to tell, it could possibly be a reflection or graphics, but do I see a couple of stray strands of wire there? That can cause some problems if a strand were to touch another post or bare wire.

View attachment 35209
Good eye! Yeah that's not good, sometimes banana plugs are a nice alternative to bare wire for this reason alone, it's tight on the back of most avrs!

A

AndreaBlas

Enthusiast
You normally keep the turntable on the floor? I'd try to at least move it away from the speakers to reduce feedback....and on a solid surface to further avoid vibrations.
Oh no no no I definitely do not keep it on the floor. I just moved a week ago, and currently having a media console made to set the record player up on and get it away from the speakers and reduce vibration; it will also safely store my vinyl. I have about another week before it is ready.

Budget for a powered sub would be around $300 or less, used is also okay.
--- Bc from what I read I would want a powered sub (not passive) to plug into the Subwoofer pre-out; which I am assuming would go into the surround sub-precut and not the Single or Center option.

Thank you for seeing the stray wires, when I do the new set up I can re-strip and get them in cleaner.

A

AndreaBlas

Enthusiast
I will be looking into the Yamaha's different sound modes; I'm currently not sure and I do not find it as straightforward as ones I have encountered in the past.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I will be looking into the Yamaha's different sound modes; I'm currently not sure and I do not find it as straightforward as ones I have encountered in the past.
I think you're in the right place, posting and asking questions. If it's been a while since you've played in the audio world a lot of things have changed. Some for the good, some for worse. I think room correction technology has come a long way, but as more features get added sometimes the power supplies take a hit to make room and stuff can get crammed in there pretty tight.

If your focus will be mainly for music I'd put the large speakers in front and the smaller ones in the surround positions. Most music is recorded and mastered in stereo, using 2 speakers and is intended to be played back on 2 speakers. Some folks like the effect of Dolby or DTS surround sound modes, which involves more speakers, but set up differently from what you have now.

The way you have them now might provide a bit more volume but introduces a lot of interference (for lack of a better layman's term, aka "comb filtering").

I love where your heart's at and wanna see you end up with something that sounds special. Based on some of your replies tho, I think a little homework might help.

And when you're ready for a sub...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah Yamaha uses their own avr language, and not having had one it's all strange sounding to me :)

T

Thousnadrobots

Audiophyte
Did you ever get this whole set-up working properly?No one mentioned in the thread after you that the impedance on your Cerwin Vega AT-8s is 6 ohms. Modern amp speaker outputs have 8 ohms of impedance. So I believe if you hook up 6 ohm speakers to 8 ohm outputs you will get a lot of crackling and popping and distortion. Also the wiring in your photo looked a bit janky so maybe there’s more to be done there. Just curious about current status on this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you ever get this whole set-up working properly?No one mentioned in the thread after you that the impedance on your Cerwin Vega AT-8s is 6 ohms. Modern amp speaker outputs have 8 ohms of impedance. So I believe if you hook up 6 ohm speakers to 8 ohm outputs you will get a lot of crackling and popping and distortion. Also the wiring in your photo looked a bit janky so maybe there’s more to be done there. Just curious about current status on this.
Good grief how did you come up with this? You seem to know little on how impedance works for both speakers and amps....

ps then again maybe you have something to do with bots...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis