Centralized Receivers and wiring

D

darich13

Audiophyte
I want to centralize the 3 satellite receivers I have. In other words, I want the 3 receivers in the same place with the ability to use a remote at the TV that will control the receiver.

What is a good wireless remote system to accomplish this? Are there schematics available?

I'm not sure if I'm being clear on this, so please ask for clarification if needed.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
darich13 said:
I want to centralize the 3 satellite receivers I have. In other words, I want the ""3 receivers in the same place"" with the ability to use a remote at the TV that will control the receiver.
.....welcome to Audioholics, Darich....is this three receivers in the same room, or three receivers dispersed in different rooms coupled with different TV's?......

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
Sounds like you need a MX-850 remote! You can place all your AV gear in one location, and run component video to all your tv's located through out the house. (There are other choices that you can choose, but for long runs and PQ, and of course the $$$$ factor some RG6 and some good compression connectors are hard to beat) You will need the RF250 base station or higher. You can either get 1 MX 850 and program the heck out of it. Then drag it to what ever room you want to watch TV in. Or......you can get several 850 remotes and set it up, so that a certain remote only controls 1 sat box, and 1 TV. Either way it can be done.

I personally would recomend getting a remote for each room. It is done all the time in Custom Houses were the home owner wants ALL and I do mean ALL the AV stuff in like the Hallway closet, or some other place. And all they have in the room is a TV, speakers, and a remote. Very cool!:D

The RF base station, working with the MX-850 remotes can be programed so that one 1 "like Device" is controled at a time. So if you change the chan in the bed room the TV in the living room does not change as well. But basically bro.....it is all in the remote, and programming.

Blessed,
Jim

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
Oh yeah...if you get your remote from a Custom AV shop, you can pay them to program all that stuff for you. Just give them the model numbers of the stuff you want controled, and set it up. It is going to be VERY......VERY hard to walk some one through programing the type of set up you are asking for, over a forum.

I have been thinking about how to do it....and it would take up about 3 pages of stuff. And that is provided you do not have any questions.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You could also go with an IR repeater system which is a VERY reliable way to send control signals from one room to another. You simply would put a Dinky Link (ir receiver) in the room you want to control from, then run the signal on Cat5 down the the head end where all the equipment is.

Be careful! You will have to cover the IR emitters at your head end up with opaque tape to keep one IR emitter from controlling all three SAT receivers at the same time.

I would definitely, at the very least, wire in a piece of CAT-5 for control later on, even if you don't use it right away. That is all that is necessary. Keep in mind you will need to run the video down to the head end as well. If it is HD, the minimum cable run is component, which is 3-pieces of 75 ohm cabling.

What about audio? Where is that handled?

You start getting to fancy, and I will recommend you up the ante and go with Crestron and some of their stuff to make darn sure it all works perfectly and that you have very easy control from each room!

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
BMXTRIX said:
You could also go with an IR repeater system which is a VERY reliable way to send control signals from one room to another. You simply would put a Dinky Link (ir receiver) in the room you want to control from, then run the signal on Cat5 down the the head end where all the equipment is.

Be careful! You will have to cover the IR emitters at your head end up with opaque tape to keep one IR emitter from controlling all three SAT receivers at the same time.

I would definitely, at the very least, wire in a piece of CAT-5 for control later on, even if you don't use it right away. That is all that is necessary. Keep in mind you will need to run the video down to the head end as well. If it is HD, the minimum cable run is component, which is 3-pieces of 75 ohm cabling.

You start getting to fancy, and I will recommend you up the ante and go with Crestron and some of their stuff to make darn sure it all works perfectly and that you have very easy control from each room!
uh oh first time to disagree with one of the heavy hitters. :eek:

I have found that IR tends to be a bit "Touch and Go" for that kind of application. Xantech has probably the most IR stuff on the market, and I would not use IR for that particualar application.

The MX series remotes will handle this project more than enough, and for hundreds of bucks less than Crestron. But I think, given Crestron being the Top OF the Line period.....is a waste of money unless your are talking whole home animation. Then by all means go with Crestron. But you are talking double if not triple the price just to get crestron and the MX series, will do the job perfectly.

The other factor, is Creston is not that easy to get. They make thier dealers go through training, and spend a lot of time and money to even get the gear. Just about all the AV stores have MX remotes, and are pretty good at programing.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

"Snap, you have just been fined 3000 reputaion points for your post!" hahahaha:D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Not an issue at all. I'm NOT as strong with IR as I am with Crestron, but the few times I've used IR repeaters I haven't had a problem. I freely admit that I am not 100% sure of all the pitfalls that may be involved in an IR repeater system. I just know that I haven't personally run into them myself in my (very) limited use of them.

Crestron is an interesting ball of wax. It does cost more, but the reliability level is exponential. Things like properly turning equipment on and off when it is not in use so it doesn't run all the time or require manual use to power it on/off. Ability to expand and adapt to an ever changing system. Ability to grow well beyond some limited setups.

Their ML-500 remote is the MX-750 remote rebadged. Then there are lesser expensive processors that it pairs with to give it full RF capability. Reliable up to about half a block away. Pricier? Yes! But, the reason it is used and is a $30M annual company is because it works - always. Plus, they have a great warranty and service policy.

But - as I said - that would be if the user wanted to really take things to the next level which is not clearly indicated in the post. Some people say 'central location' and what they want is one DVD player, video switching capabilities, a central 400 disc DVD changer to go out to every room, a few other TVs thrown into the mix (maybe), and perhaps half a dozen additional rooms with audio.

Then, Crestron is a very adaptive solution that fits nicer than any other product out there. At a bit of a premium.

Dealers are required to be TRAINED on Crestron??? There's a concept. :) I know for a fact that when I worked for an area chain that sold Crestron while I knew about it, 90% of our sales staff who was supposed to sell it, had NO clue how it worked or what was involved in a solid Crestron setup. Crestron is not easy to install. It is easy for the end user to use. So, dealers must know how it works. I think that says something good about Crestron right there. Helping to protect customers.

I have never given a red chicklet and won't start now. Just cuz' someone disagrees with me - and gives very valid reasoning. :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Since darich13 specifically asked about wireless solutions, I would second the HTM MX series remotes. With the stated requirement of just 3 satellite receivers, a very inexpensive solution (relative to Creston. :)) would be an MX-350 (~$125) and an MRF-200 RF base station (~100).

The emitters on the base station are individually addressable by the remote so you could control each satellite receiver independently.

D

darich13

Audiophyte
Snap, I think what you've described is what I'm looking for.

Should I just go to my local custom A/V shop, or is there a good sight on the internet to view this?

While I really appreciate the descriptions of how to do it, I'm an extremely visual type of person. I need to be able to see it set up.

Snap

Snap

Audioholic
I wish that MX did more required training. Like Crestron.

Aside from going to the links that the fellas posted before the only draw back to getting it online is programing help. You are more likely to get a good deal on having the custom AV shop program your remote if you buy it there, than if you just brought in your remote and asked for programing help. There are draw backs to both ways. You will pay a little more if you go into a AV shop. But you probably can swing a deal like this.....

"I buy these remotes if you give them to me programed for these ____ _____ ____ pieces of equipment."

The other good thing about MX remotes they are pretty easy to understand and program. Crestron I won't even try it. I have a buddy that has been to all the Crestron schools. So if I ever get a Crestron...he will program it for me, or I will break his legs!:D

RaT

RaT

Junior Audioholic

My experience with Dinky Link has been superb. It just always works. It seems so simple though, why shouldn't it?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis