Center Recommendations

C

CCC

Audiophyte
Looking to add a center speaker to living room HT, with size restrictions. Can I crowd source some opinions and options?

Due to current room/location restrictions, I cannot use my older center (too deep). Been phantom'ing the center for many years (setup is 2 front, 2 rear). A new center would need to have a depth appx 6" or less. Height appx 8" or less. Wide is OK. Good visual appeal needed to pass the wife test. White/grey color would be a bonus but not required. Will be on a long but shallow shelf/mantel about ear height, between TV and fireplace. Would like to stay under $1k USD.

Goal: clearer dialog for TV/movies. Listening level is usually low to medium volume, but having headroom always helps sound quality :)
Living Room: appx 2500 ft^3. Large opening to hallway. Viewing distance appx 8ft. The viewing/listening positions are challenging due to large wrap around sectional couch, many seats are off-axis by more than ideal.
AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850 (unit can do YPAO-RSC single point)
Sub: none (old crummy one sounds worse than not using it) - I eventually want to add something nice, a SVS PC-2000 Pro would fit well in my room (in back corner, behind couch only practical spot for me to place a sub). Just need to convince the wife we NEED a big sub.
Fronts: Floor speakers, Klipsch kg4. Old but have sentimental value. Still decent!
Center: None
Rears: Klipsch Icon Series XB-10. Not ideally placed, but sound good enough for surround

Thanks in advance!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is an extremely tall order. The 6" deep limitation is going to be tough. I am not aware of many/any major brands that would meet that.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Looking to add a center speaker to living room HT, with size restrictions. Can I crowd source some opinions and options?

Due to current room/location restrictions, I cannot use my older center (too deep). Been phantom'ing the center for many years (setup is 2 front, 2 rear). A new center would need to have a depth appx 6" or less. Height appx 8" or less. Wide is OK. Good visual appeal needed to pass the wife test. White/grey color would be a bonus but not required. Will be on a long but shallow shelf/mantel about ear height, between TV and fireplace. Would like to stay under $1k USD.

Goal: clearer dialog for TV/movies. Listening level is usually low to medium volume, but having headroom always helps sound quality :)
Living Room: appx 2500 ft^3. Large opening to hallway. Viewing distance appx 8ft. The viewing/listening positions are challenging due to large wrap around sectional couch, many seats are off-axis by more than ideal.
AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850 (unit can do YPAO-RSC single point)
Sub: none (old crummy one sounds worse than not using it) - I eventually want to add something nice, a SVS PC-2000 Pro would fit well in my room (in back corner, behind couch only practical spot for me to place a sub). Just need to convince the wife we NEED a big sub.
Fronts: Floor speakers, Klipsch kg4. Old but have sentimental value. Still decent!
Center: None
Rears: Klipsch Icon Series XB-10. Not ideally placed, but sound good enough for surround

Thanks in advance!
That is getting into sound bar territory. What is the height limit?

Can you send pictures of your system, and may be we can brain storm this further?

I would say you need a sub or two before worrying about the center, especially given the size limitation of the center.

H

HackMan55

Enthusiast
I believe both the Polk ES35 and S35 fit those measurements and are nice looking speakers.

C

CCC

Audiophyte
Agree about the sub comment, and it might follow shortly on the heals of any center speaker purchase. Front mains (L,R) hit reasonably low, so not a must at the moment.

Shelf a tad under 6" so anything deeper than that will stick out a bit. Not the end of the world, but starts to look bad IMHO. Height clearance is about 8" but I can probably raise the TV a few inches if needed.

My current list I'm looking at includes:
  • Polk ES35, as HackMan said (S35 is discontinued i believe).
  • Polk R500 (will stick out a little though, so maybe)
  • Definitive Technology Dymension DM20
  • Definitive Technology ProCenter 2000
  • MartinLogan Motion 8i
  • MartinLogan Motion SLM XL
  • Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-404C II l
  • Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-640D
  • GoldenEar SuperSat 60C (pushes budget a tad)
  • KEF T301C
  • Monitor Audio Apex A40 (pushes budget a tad)
  • Monitor Audio Radius 225
  • Elac Muro OW-V41L
  • Versa HTS1 (H 10", so will be a tad tall, but maybe)
I know, long list. Besides the +1 for the Polk ES35, any other opinions? Anything above to avoid?

Regarding sound bar comment, has anyone ever try wiring a passive sound bar together to use as a single center channel, and have good results? Kind of like a line array speaker? If so I can broaden my search.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I'd say the Klipsch. They aren't the same line or era but will likely be closer in timbre than most of the others. Otherwise, consider replacing all 3 fronts to match one of those centers you listed. Move the current KG4s to a second system :)

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have a Crites center (their only center model) betwixt my Heresy III's. Crites speakers are really the only, or one of very, very, very few options for a center between Klipsch Heritage. KG4's are not in the Heritage line, but close enough. Anyway, the Crites center is a monster with 8" woofers, too big for your situation, unless you change that. Here are a couple of shots of mine.

Attachments

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Actually, I obviously meant Crites is the only real option other than a Klipsch center speaker.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis