Center channel speaker config

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>It looks like more and more manufacturers are using the D'Appolito array in their center channel speakers, the common layout with two midrange drivers separated by a tweeter in the middle.

This configuration was created with a vertical orientation in mind. Lobing occurs along the horizontal axis when this config is horizontally oriented. Sort of like throwing two stones in a pond a few feet apart. Where the ripples meet you will get addition and cancellation of the energy depending on the angle at which they meet.

I don't understand why we continue to see greater numbers of these speakers for center channel use.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Paul;

I agree with you on this. &nbsp;These type of center channels would sound best if vertically oriented. &nbsp;However there are tricks that can be done via the crossover and tweeter placement to some extent to minimize the lobing effects that you described.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I fully agree on this point, one of the reasons, placing center channel speaker over a large RPTV is a real nightmare and one is never satisfied with the sound.</font>

U

Ultra Nexus

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Could I use a single speaker (say like a surround speaker) as center? Or it MUST be the one described above?

I ask this cause I was wondering if I should buy a pair of surround speakers for a 4.1 config and later add another pair to use as rear center and front center in a 6.1 config for my Yamaha receiver (RX-V440)

BTW I have now a pair of Tannoy mX3 as fronts and a mX-10SUB. The speakers I mean are the mXR or mX1.

Any thoughts on this idea? Thanks!</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>I've been thinking the same, Ultra Nexus. &nbsp;A single bookshelf would make a great center, and you could use the extra on in the rear.

The main reason for the horizontal M-T-M, D'Appolito array it WAF; it's mostly for aesthetic reasons. &nbsp;Lobing is indeed a problem. &nbsp;My center is laid out the same way, but it doesn't suffer this too badly (the designer was smart enough to make it a &quot;2 &amp; 1/2 Way&quot; speaker, so the output of the woofers doesn't overlap except in the bass area).</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I can't see why not. What makes a center channel speaker suitable for the center channel is mostly the physical layout, thay are predominantly flat so they can be placed above or below TVs, screens etc.

There are some good two-ways on the market. I have a B&amp;W two way (two driver) center speaker. Or as Rob mentions, in a D'appolito array, if the two drivers that would create lobing are fed low enough frequencies, the lobing will be minimized. However most implementations use two midrange with a center tweeter. A few are 2.5/3 way with the pair of drivers handling the bass frequencies, but these are more expensive.</font>

<font color='#000080'>I had a conversation with Axiom Audio about this a few months ago. They specifically redesigned their center channel for the reasons stated above (originally the &quot;VP150&quot; had a tweeter in the center). Some time in the anechoic chamber made them realize that lobing effects needed to be addressed with the old design.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis