Center Channel Opinions................none vs worthwhile hidden gems

H

Hamm-sammich-guy

Audiophyte
Hey,
New here and new to surround sound imagery.
I am so used to 2 channel and listen to all my music in 2.0 or 2.1 depending on system setup that includes conventional analog stereo from 60's, 70's and some 80's and some Class D Amps recently acquired.
My question is almost complete from the headline (LOL) but since I rarely watch videos I'm wondering if it would even be necessary for a center channel at all. I recently bought a used pair of Bowers and Wilkins and the seller gave me a Yamaha RX-V1300 for free that, so far, has decent sound in stereo for a "newer" receiver.
I have all the speakers I'd need to do a surround setup with it from Boston A400's to some concentric style B & W Uni Q's (2 pair) 20+ speakers in all........refurbished and in great working condition with new surrounds and x over components upgraded in most that needed it. So.......... I'm speaker poor and don't really want to buy something I may not ever need or rarely use that I just couldn't replace with one other speaker to match the outputs (ie; db or spl ratings) closely.
Just looking to see if there is anyone else that has found good combos that work well with music on a surround receiver that is an older one like mine.
I've not heard anyone's surround system that they eventually turn off the center channel with music because it didn't sound "natural" to them.

Only in Black.......I wouldn't have ever considered buying one but since it was free.....................yep, I'll try it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you sit in the sweet spot could be of minimal value, perhaps more if you have more people spread across the listening area. Even then probably an identical speaker to L/R is a consideration, or at least a 3-way. I have a lot of multich content, if you have mostly 2ch, could be of less importance (upmixing is only so helpful)

H

Hamm-sammich-guy

Audiophyte
If you sit in the sweet spot could be of minimal value, perhaps more if you have more people spread across the listening area. Even then probably an identical speaker to L/R is a consideration, or at least a 3-way. I have a lot of multich content, if you have mostly 2ch, could be of less importance (upmixing is only so helpful)
Thanks lovinthehd
Almost all my music is analog and digital.......about 50/50.....Cassette, LP's, CD's and downloaded MP3 and MP4 datas streamed from my laptops of which none are greater than 2.0.....Dell Precisions with some impressive software and sound card capabilities........although Dolby does come in one of my Flex 3 units. I do have a slight advantage over most in that I am in earshot of an electronics "graveyard" company that has many laptops, etc. that more than 50% just need new HDD's or passwords wiped, LOL. I usually can buy 10 to 20 units for $50 and keep the best......sell the rest. Fun!!!
I have a dedicated music room filled with stereo equipment, guitars and amps, TV and many assorted analog players like, Cassette, TT, CD, CD recorders and assorted guitar equipment so I'm usually the only one in it since there is just about 4' square around me after I sit in my chair.
It's a great place for my music needs, in other words and it seems to get smaller every week lately. I'm not buying more, just getting more........if that makes any sense. I don't mind it but my wife yells from the other side of the door when the music gets too clear over her TV shows. I told her to just turn up the TV, but after I woke up from her answer she just said "we'll see who turns down what?"......I'm used to it.
After a few thoughts about it I'm just going to see if I can get by with just the A-B speakers or try listening to a friend's center on this Yammer Hammer and see if there's anything worth investing. I like the soundstages from some of my speakers enough that this may just be something I'm over thinking.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks lovinthehd
Almost all my music is analog and digital.......about 50/50.....Cassette, LP's, CD's and downloaded MP3 and MP4 datas streamed from my laptops of which none are greater than 2.0.....Dell Precisions with some impressive software and sound card capabilities........although Dolby does come in one of my Flex 3 units. I do have a slight advantage over most in that I am in earshot of an electronics "graveyard" company that has many laptops, etc. that more than 50% just need new HDD's or passwords wiped, LOL. I usually can buy 10 to 20 units for $50 and keep the best......sell the rest. Fun!!!
I have a dedicated music room filled with stereo equipment, guitars and amps, TV and many assorted analog players like, Cassette, TT, CD, CD recorders and assorted guitar equipment so I'm usually the only one in it since there is just about 4' square around me after I sit in my chair.
It's a great place for my music needs, in other words and it seems to get smaller every week lately. I'm not buying more, just getting more........if that makes any sense. I don't mind it but my wife yells from the other side of the door when the music gets too clear over her TV shows. I told her to just turn up the TV, but after I woke up from her answer she just said "we'll see who turns down what?"......I'm used to it.
After a few thoughts about it I'm just going to see if I can get by with just the A-B speakers or try listening to a friend's center on this Yammer Hammer and see if there's anything worth investing. I like the soundstages from some of my speakers enough that this may just be something I'm over thinking.
I don't think you understand "soundstage" even after all that whatever it is in that mishmash of gear/situations.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
He has all the speakers he wants and can just experiment with placement and which ones sound the best. Center speaker is mainly for movie dialog, in a surround system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis