Center Channel Amplification Question

C

classic_erik

Enthusiast
Hey guys, looking for some feedback on my current set up and what I'm considering for amplification of my center channel.

I currently have a 5.1.4 setup, powered by an Anthem MCA 325 Gen 2 for my LCR and Marantz SR7015 AVR for surrounds and heights. In my goal to eventually transition to separates I just purchased a NAD M27 7 Channel amp to take over the 6 channels from my AVR as a start. While I'm not completely ready to move to a pre-pro, I'll at least move to a full pre-out mode on the Marantz.

My question, should I leave the center channel on the MCA 325 or put it on the NAD M27? I was thinking I'd try to sell the MCA 325 and pivot to a stereo amp since I have that extra channel available on the M27. Both of them amps would be fine but was wondering if I should be thinking about this another way? Thoughts?

Current Equipment:

Marantz SR7015 AVR
MCA 325 Gen 2 3 Channel Power Amp (Class A/B, 225W per channel @ 8ohm)
NAD M27 7 Channel Power Amp (Class D, 180W per channel @ 8ohm)
Front L/R - Dynaudio Evoke 20 (6 ohms, sens 86dB, RMS 180W)
Center - Dynaudio Evoke 25C (4 ohms, sens 88dB, RMS 200W)
Surrounds - Monitor Audio W280-IDC (6 ohms, sens 90dB, RMS 150W)
Heights - Monitor Audio C265-IDC (6 ohms, sens 88.5dB, RMS 85W)
Sub - Rythmik E15HP2

Thanks,
Erik

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since you now have the amps may as well use the more powerful amp on the mains, the other for surrounds. I would have just continued with the original 3ch amp and using the avr for surrounds myself....the difference in power for the NAD vs Anthem is negligible at 1 dB....and the Anthem isn't rated quite the same way as the NAD, so might be a bit less at equivalent spec. The wattage ratings for the speakers are more a guideline of its limits, but shouldn't be an issue in any case.

C

classic_erik

Enthusiast
Since you now have the amps may as well use the more powerful amp on the mains, the other for surrounds. I would have just continued with the original 3ch amp and using the avr for surrounds myself....the difference in power for the NAD vs Anthem is negligible at 1 dB....and the Anthem isn't rated quite the same way as the NAD, so might be a bit less at equivalent spec. The wattage ratings for the speakers are more a guideline of its limits, but shouldn't be an issue in any case.
Thanks. Figured I would leave the center on the Anthem for now. I actually got the NAD M27 because I’m trying to convert to a pre-pro in the coming months.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. Figured I would leave the center on the Anthem for now. I actually got the NAD M27 because I’m trying to convert to a pre-pro in the coming months.
Why a pre-pro when your avr is just as good?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Agreed with HD but if you have other reasons for switching to a real prepro then a cleaner way to do it is to sell the MCA325 and add a 4 channel buckeye amp or vtv amp. Either way there will most likely be no gain or loss in sound quality as all those amps, including the 7015 are practically transparent.

C

classic_erik

Enthusiast
Agreed with HD but if you have other reasons for switching to a real prepro then a cleaner way to do it is to sell the MCA325 and add a 4 channel buckeye amp or vtv amp. Either way there will most likely be no gain or loss in sound quality as all those amps, including the 7015 are practically transparent.
I like that idea. Do you think the M27 has enough power for my LCR?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I like that idea. Do you think the M27 has enough power for my LCR?
For most people, yes but you should check it with a calculator. If not, as HD said, the MCA325 can give you less than 1 dB more, that will be hardly noticeable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis