Celestion SL600 speakers w/ Sony X559ES CD-player... Amplifier?

N

nAAn

Audiophyte
Hey there,

First of all, I have no clue if this is the correct place to post a question such as this. I figured posting it here in the beginner-subforum would be suitable, as I am, obviously, a newbie to the world of high-end sound systems, etc.

My father happened to be an audiophile, being able to enjoy his last years with some beautiful Sonus Faber Cremona speakers on a pretty decent (!) Electrocompaniet Classic Line-set consisting of an EMC 1 UP CD-player, a pre-amp and two power-amps (at least, that's what I believe they are..), until he passed away a couple of years ago.

I am now about to start studying abroad, and I've dug out his pair of Celestion SL600-speakers from the mid-eighties, and his Sony X559ES CD-player, which I figured I'd attempt to resurrect. I've figured they'd be a decent setup (from what I've read online about them, separately), though I assume new, better technology has brought new, better speakers/players..

Having little experience with setting up any kind of sound system/stereos, I was wondering if there is any special requirements an amplifier would need in order to support this setup? The amplifier he used to have I assume he sold/threw out (at least I can't find it!).

Any help or advice? Specific examples of amplifiers suitable would be great, preferably within a reasonable price-range... And please forgive me for having nearly no clue about these things. I know good sound when I hear it, but I have no clue what's behind it. I am eager to learn, though!

(And no. I won't be able to "borrow" some amps from the other setup :cool: )

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis