Ceiling Speaker Mystery

• Thread starter SlightDisturbance
  • Start date
S

SlightDisturbance

Audiophyte
I recently purchased my home and it has 3 existing ceiling speakers. The home is an open concept so there is a single speaker in each zone moving in a straight line (living area, dining area, kitchen area). What's puzzling the hell out of me is that it appears they are all wired to a banana plug plate that only accommodates a single channel (2 plugs - 1 wire each). What type of system do i need to make use of these speakers??

I haven't pulled the speakers down so I can't answer what brand/type they are.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I foresee a multimeter in your future. Check the DC resistance of the banana plug pair. That should help you figure out that your amp needs to be n-ohms stable.

S

SlightDisturbance

Audiophyte
OK - Fluke says I need a 2 ohm amp. Does this mean a 2 channel 4 ohm amp will work? Not entirely sure how the amp does the magic of splitting up the load per channel.

BTW: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, was completely clueless as to where to begin.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
OK - Fluke says I need a 2 ohm amp. Does this mean a 2 channel 4 ohm amp will work? Not entirely sure how the amp does the magic of splitting up the load per channel.

BTW: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, was completely clueless as to where to begin.
Clearly those speakers are wired for mono. From the DC resistance you got, which will be lower than the impedance, you may have three 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel. However it is entirely possible that the system is a 70 volt mono PA system, with a transformer at each speaker. In fact I think this is most likely what you have. You need to pull a speaker and see if there is an associated transformer.

If there is no transformer you need a mono amp capable of driving a load of 2.7 ohms, so 3 ohm stable. That may be a tough find.

If as I suspect there is a transformer at each speaker then you need a 70 volt line amp. These are plentiful and relatively inexpensive and have mixer preamps included for mic, CD and other inputs.

If you can contact the previous owner he may be able to shed some light on how this system was powered and used.

As I said, since it is clearly mono and a parallel system my money is on this being a 70 volt system. You will have to pull a speaker to find out.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Great explanation - and I'm hoping you are correct with the transformer suspicion. So I've identified the speakers as Moderno M6R, here's a link to the rear of the speaker, I'm guessing the two resistors, coil, and what appears to be a capacitor are the makings of a transformer. Can you ascertain that from this photo? This is all the specs they manufacturer offers.

I'm entirely grateful for all the help!
No that is not a 70 volt system. You have three 8 ohm speakers in parallel giving you 2.7 ohms. That is too low.

The components you see are the crossover for the coaxial unit. It is second order 12db per octave low pass and fist order 6 db per octave high pass and an L-Pad.

You have two options here.

1). Install impedance matching volume controlsl in each room.

2). Install 70 volt transformers by each speaker and convert it to a 70 volt system. Then you can get a mono PA amp. Since this is already mono this is probably your best and most reliable long term solution.

Those speakers were not sensibly installed in the first place.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

However it is entirely possible that the system is a 70 volt mono PA system, with a transformer at each speaker.
Can’t say I’ve ever checked a 70-volt line with a meter. Will it really get you an ohm reading?

I’m voting that it’s a standard voice coil parallel set up, as 70-volt is uncommon in home installations, as far as I know...

It's not hard to find a pro-audio amp that's rated for 2-ohms, so that might be an option.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

S

SlightDisturbance

Audiophyte
OK - At least I have options. I'll let you know which way I went.

Thank you very much for all the information.

S

SlightDisturbance

Audiophyte
Well good news for me! I pulled the banana plug plate off the wall and there were three pairs of wires twisted together! I think I'm going with a simple 8 ohm setup with Bluetooth. We aren't putting surround in that room so this works out perfect for me!

Thanks again for the help! -Cheers

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis