Ceiling, soffits, and symmetry?

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
The area of my basement where I plan to build my HT room has a main HVAC duct running lengthwise a few feet off center. I'll enclose it in a soffit of course. My question is: is it acoustically necessary to make another soffit to make the ceiling symmetrical? Or is it a fairly minor problem if I leave it at one off-center soffit?

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
How about a suspended ceiling, to hide the whole thing, allow for wires, etc. Do you have the vertical space?

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
~JC~ said:
How about a suspended ceiling, to hide the whole thing, allow for wires, etc. Do you have the vertical space?
That was quick! But no, don't have the space. Well, I suppose I could if I really wanted to because I'm kinda short. ;) But I'd rather not.

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
What is great about a drop ceiling also is you can put (hide) fiberglass in the ceiling to help with acoustics.. Not a bad thing at all!

Glenn

~JC~

~JC~

Audioholic
I don't want to be ridiculous here, but if this is your house, and if the basement is not finished, you might want to look into having the floor dug a little deeper, to give you the height you desire. I know this can sound ridiculous at first blush, but it is sometimes a viable option, that folks don't think of. I'm afraid I am not qualified to answer your actual question, but I'm sure the resident sound trappers will be along, they love a challenge! :D

S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
A small soffit for a few feet is not going to radically mess up your room acoustics, unless you're unlucky and end up sitting just where it creates a direct reflection. Building a second soffit might make sense for appearance reasons, but it probably isn't acoustically necessary.

Rooms with low ceilings sound "different" than rooms with taller ceilings. A low, drop ceiling with insulation above it absorbs a lot of bass (a good thing), but can sound "cramped" and dead. While I'm normally all for this approach, if the ceiling ends up 6'6" off the floor or less, don't do it. Especially with tall, or high-mounted speakers. You can get reflections off the ceiling (even with acoustic tiles - the angle of incidence is very low) and things get jumbled.

If building soffits is no problem, you can build a shallow network of them and give them soft (cloth) sides, and put insulation inside them. It's the sort of thing you want to plan out carefully, but it helps a lot with bass control and isn't as invasive as a typical dropped ceiling. More cost and effort, though.

Soffits are nice; you can hide wiring in them, use them for sound trapping, shaped sound reflection, and they make a room more interesting.

Glenn Kuras

Glenn Kuras

Full Audioholic
> if the ceiling ends up 6'6" off the floor or less, don't do it. Especially with tall, or high-mounted speakers.<

Agreed, but if the ceiling is higher and you can put a drop ceiling, it does not mean you have to stuff the whole thing with fiberglass. Stuff to taste would be my thoughts. :D

Glenn

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Even without suspending the ceiling there's plenty of space between the joists for insulation; that's been the plan. That will give me about a 7' - 6" height.

Dig out the basement!?! Oy!!

The "soft" soffit ideas (insulation + cloth) would not give soundproofing, alas. That's a major consideration since the main bedroom is above the HT. Plan is to use QuietRock for the ceiling then treat for absorption/diffusion as needed.

I think I'll just do the one soffit based on the feedback here. I can always add a second one later if it is needed.

S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
Rip Van Woofer said:
The "soft" soffit ideas (insulation + cloth) would not give soundproofing, alas. That's a major consideration since the main bedroom is above the HT. Plan is to use QuietRock for the ceiling.
Look at the numbers for quietrock carefully before you cover a ceiling with it. It is not cheap, and bass absorption is not fantastic. It's a way to get *some* control in a very narrow amount of space, but your subwoofer is going to go right through it. Especially if you mount a soffit on it - you'll have to screw through it into the beams to support the soffit, and it's screws that carry vibration.

There's no cheap way to soundproof, and unfortunately the best ways eat space. Just keep an eye on cost and decide in advance how much sound you want to stop.

I also have a bedroom over my music room.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rip Van Woofer said:
The area of my basement where I plan to build my HT room has a main HVAC duct running lengthwise a few feet off center. I'll enclose it in a soffit of course. My question is: is it acoustically necessary to make another soffit to make the ceiling symmetrical? Or is it a fairly minor problem if I leave it at one off-center soffit?

You can always remodel, again:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis