Ceiling outlet for projector question

C

carl.bloom1

Audiophyte
Hello, this is my first post here. Been reading but first post. I have a question Ive been researching and can’t find a straight answer on. I recently put an Optoma UHD60 in my garage/man cave and have it ceiling mounted. When I built my garage I put outlets in the ceiling for lights and used 14/2 wire for the outlets. I’ve only used these for lights but one of the outlets is right by my projector and would be perfect to use for it. The question is would this be ok to use for the projector or should I wire in a new outlet with the 12/2 wire normally used for electrical outlets? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
14/2 vs. 12/2 is about the rated current draw for the breaker. In watts it is 1440 for 14 gauge and 1920 for 12 gauge. If your total lighting load on the 14 gauge run is well under the 1440 watts, and the projector draw is less than what you have left, then you can use the outlet for the projector. Be aware though that a projector may have a fairly high current draw. So, your lights may flicker when the projector is powered on. Likewise, some lights on dimmers can cause interference on projectors. Neither of these should preset itself as a major issue.

In my world, and opinion, the best thing to do is to have a 20amp outlet where your equipment is and to extend power from the equipment location to the projector location and have the projector plugged into a decent surge suppressor that your equipment is also plugged into. Not sure what the feasibility of that is. That said, I have taken a ton of wall outlets and just extended them up to projector locations to use and I haven't had any issues with them not working properly.

But, 14/2 vs. 12/2 isn't going to impact a projector which only draws about 350 watts of power (348 max by their cut sheet), unless your lighting load is already pulling 1,200 watts of power off the breaker. That would be twenty, 60 watt light bulbs.

Just do the math on the lighting load, then go from there.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I would also ask how is the light turned on or off. I suppose the outlet is not on a switch?
And, doubt you would have both the lights and projector on at same time, right? ;)

C

carl.bloom1

Audiophyte
I would also ask how is the light turned on or off. I suppose the outlet is not on a switch?
And, doubt you would have both the lights and projector on at same time, right? ;)
The outlet is on a switch. I can turn off the lights on the light itself but that would get old fast. I actually just bought everything I need to add a new outlet in my ceiling by my projector. Going to be a little work, but it’s the best route for me to go I think.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Yes, you need to add an unswitched outlet up there. While you are at it, how is the HDMI wire there to feed the projector?
Fixed screen?

C

carl.bloom1

Audiophyte
Yes, you need to add an unswitched outlet up there. While you are at it, how is the HDMI wire there to feed the projector?
Fixed screen?
It’s a fixed screen. I have the hdmi wire fastened up across the ceiling, down the wall behind the screen to my receiver. Running the hdmi in the ceiling would be a lot bigger job. Where I am putting the outlet I have access to the ceiling from the attic. To run the hdmi in the ceiling would be lot more messing around with upstairs flooring or downstairs ceiling.

highfigh

highfigh

It’s a fixed screen. I have the hdmi wire fastened up across the ceiling, down the wall behind the screen to my receiver. Running the hdmi in the ceiling would be a lot bigger job. Where I am putting the outlet I have access to the ceiling from the attic. To run the hdmi in the ceiling would be lot more messing around with upstairs flooring or downstairs ceiling.

If you're hiding the HDMI, it needs to be rated for in-wall use and if you run some kind of conduit, it can't be in the same one as the 120V wiring.

highfigh

highfigh

The outlet is on a switch. I can turn off the lights on the light itself but that would get old fast. I actually just bought everything I need to add a new outlet in my ceiling by my projector. Going to be a little work, but it’s the best route for me to go I think.

The bulb in projectors needs to cool before the power is shut off.

Also, there's no guarantee the light has a neutral wire and the projector requires one.

C

carl.bloom1

Audiophyte
I ended up just running a new wire and outlet in the ceiling. Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis