Ceiling atmos speakers: Straight down or angled?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
They aren't Klipsch. They are Elac Debut's. I actually already have them. They just aren't being used for anything.
But I don't just want to use them for atmos because I already have them. I can always install them in the garage instead and get a better atmos speaker.
Oh yeah, duh... I don’t know why I typed klipsch. Sorry.

I get it, don’t use em just cause they’re there. I’m sure they’d work great though, if you did use em. Are you thinking of 4 or 2?

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
Oh yeah, duh... I don’t know why I typed klipsch. Sorry.

I get it, don’t use em just cause they’re there. I’m sure they’d work great though, if you did use em. Are you thinking of 4 or 2?
my Onkyo RZ900 only does 2 height speakers. So I figured I’d put them between my mains and seating position.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
When surround sound started being a thing, it was originally intended and mixed for "ambiance", hence it didn't really matter if they were higher/farther/dipole/diffused etc. However, modern movies use aggressive discrete mixes that treat all channels as full range so you want to consider them as real equal speakers like your front stage (toed in, ear height etc).

Same thing with Atmos. The spec is actually for full range for all channels and 90hz if bass managed, including ceilings/heights. Common misconception is that they get small effects for ambiance and people stick little speakers crossed at 150hz or whatever. The downward vs aimed is more for your room coverage. If you have a large room with multiple seats, you want to just fire them straight down and use high dispersion. But if you have a normal living room or small room setup with a money seat, you want to AIM them towards MLP, no different than toeing in the front L and R etc.

M

Mark M

Junior Audioholic
I’m going to go angled so that the listening is more in axis. Makes sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis