J

johnny33

Audiophyte
whats the difference between a cd player and a cd transport?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The player includes a DAC, the transport does not.

edit: there are machines with a dac that can be bypassed and used as a transport; these will usually be described using both terms in the description somewhere.

J

johnny33

Audiophyte
so if you were looking at a preamp with dac.streaming on them it could be wiser to look at a transport?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
;)
Could? Yes.

What’s your upgrade goal here?
Many seem to be in agreement that using a good Blu-ray player solves for any disc-based needs. I agree; using Sony x700 myself. No issues, though sometimes I’d like to not have my tv on while listening to music. But the flip side is most transports are $$$, and do only one thing.
:)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
;)
Could? Yes.

What’s your upgrade goal here?
Many seem to be in agreement that using a good Blu-ray player solves for any disc-based needs. I agree; using Sony x700 myself. No issues, though sometimes I’d like to not have my tv on while listening to music. But the flip side is most transports are $$$, and do only one thing.
:)
So just own multiple players. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep. Mostly your question boils down to does it have an analog output only or digital only? My oldest cd players had no digital output options. All my current optical disc players have digital outputs and I use them that way even if they have a dac on board (unless using with old analog gear not capable of digital audio).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Then again you could consider not playing the cd itself but rather rip it to your hard drive and simply play the files a lot more conveniently....

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Sony UBD-X800II is an example of a Universal Player without a DAC. In regard to its use for CD and stereo/multi-channel SACD pleasure the digital conversion will occur within the AVR or Pre-Pro connected to the Sony via an HDMI connection between the components. CD and stereo SACD digital conversion also occurs within the AVR or Pre-Pro connected to the Sony via an IEC 958 connection between the components, although stereo SACDs are I believe sent from the Sony at 24/176 not full SACD quality.

S

soltzt

Audiophyte
The Sony UBD-X800II is an example of a Universal Player without a DAC. In regard to its use for CD and stereo/multi-channel SACD pleasure the digital conversion will occur within the AVR or Pre-Pro connected to the Sony via an HDMI connection between the components. CD and stereo SACD digital conversion also occurs within the AVR or Pre-Pro connected to the Sony via an IEC 958 connection between the components, although stereo SACDs are I believe sent from the Sony at 24/176 not full SACD quality.
I think this answers the question I was about to ask: If I'm already using the digital out from a CD player into an all-digital pre/pro, could I replace the CD player with a transport, or do I need some type of controller to go with the transport?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think this answers the question I was about to ask: If I'm already using the digital out from a CD player into an all-digital pre/pro, could I replace the CD player with a transport, or do I need some type of controller to go with the transport?
Any time you use the digital output from an optical disc player it is essentially a transport. If you use the analog outs (if it has such) then you're using the dac onboard in the player. If you use traditional optical disc players they'll have any necessary controls.....if you use a dedicated cd drive like for a computer that would be different.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yes you can replace a CD Player with a DAC less Player, like the Sony mentioned. I would not buy a CD transport however. Instead I would buy a UBP Player to have the capability to enjoy all disc formats. This of course assumes having a Pre-Pro which has an HDMI input and a DAC that will convert DSD to analog.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis