mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Okay, the 5.1 DVD-A or SACD was meant to put the listener right in the middle of the action, right?
Don't think that was their intent until some producers came out with some of those recordings.

I read one review about a Vivaldi Four Seasons DVD-A in which the author said that he felt he was sandwiched between the 1st and 2nd orchestra.

And I'm thinking, that's cool and all, but in real life I wouldn't be right in the middle of two orchestras. The sound would just be coming from the front.
Yep, that is exactly correct. not even the director of an orchestra is in the middle of his musicians, not the ones I have seen performing. They are in front of them. And, the audience is even further back.

So I guess 5.1 Audio is just not for everyone.
Discrete 5.1 music is cool, though. At least it's good for demonstration.
Not those circle-sound recording, not for me. But, certainly the ambiance if 5.1 is much more to my liking that the flat 2 ch recording.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
stereos=solid......not two.....

The two channelers have been sticking to that for years......that music isn't supposed to surround us, but come from just in two channels.......when in fact, the early research at Bell Labs in the 1930's concluded that Three channels were the best at reproducing the live sound.....I first found this out after a classical concert at the CSO. I came home and ordered a sacd of the same programme from 1951. Upon getting it, I found it was in three channels! The liner notes explained that the sound pioneers believed tri channel was optimal........
"The term stereo came to describe the delivery of music over multiple channels. The term was adopted from the Greek word stereos ("solid"), implying that music took on a certain qualitative level of tangibility when multiple audio channels were employed.
Tests were made comparing the number of stereo channels and the frequency range of the recordings. Listeners were found to prefer stereophonic broadcasts with frequencies extending to only 3740 Hz to monophonic broadcasts with frequencies extending to 15 kHz. Leopold Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra participated in the experiments, producing 128 recordings during the 1931-32 season at Bell Labs. Researchers ultimately concluded that three channels were optimal for increased spaciousness and localization, but that two channels were sufficient."

The above is quoted from an article found HERE

UFObuster

UFObuster

Audioholic
The two channelers have been sticking to that for years......that music isn't supposed to surround us, but come from just in two channels.......when in fact, the early research at Bell Labs in the 1930's concluded that Three channels were the best at reproducing the live sound.....I first found this out after a classical concert at the CSO. I came home and ordered a sacd of the same programme from 1951. Upon getting it, I found it was in three channels! The liner notes explained that the sound pioneers believed tri channel was optimal........
"The term stereo came to describe the delivery of music over multiple channels. The term was adopted from the Greek word stereos ("solid"), implying that music took on a certain qualitative level of tangibility when multiple audio channels were employed.
Tests were made comparing the number of stereo channels and the frequency range of the recordings. Listeners were found to prefer stereophonic broadcasts with frequencies extending to only 3740 Hz to monophonic broadcasts with frequencies extending to 15 kHz. Leopold Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra participated in the experiments, producing 128 recordings during the 1931-32 season at Bell Labs. Researchers ultimately concluded that three channels were optimal for increased spaciousness and localization, but that two channels were sufficient."

...great stuff.
and Mtrycrafts...so right.
The multichannel business is driven by the movie industry. It's all about sound effects....car crashes, light swords, bullets whizzing, explosions, debris falling. Why one would spend hugh $$ on amplifiers and speakers for this is amazing. That said, 5.1 is EXCELLENT for enhancing a live music experience. I still like my 5 channel live recordings over 2 channel if produced correctly...that is, with me, a listener, in front of the performers. There are unique situations where the sound can range further than just the fronts. Use, for example, Eric Clapton's Sessions for Robert J. It has full and active use of all channels to great effect but not in a gimmicky way...it's quite natural and would be missed in 2 channel. I still love both. I use a dedicated two channel amp and player for CDs and apply another amp for surrounds when the program is good. But, the production must be HONEST in its presentation. Another good example: Roger Water's "In the Flesh" using practically nothing but the front two channels except for sound effects and room ambience. A bad example (sad to say it): Steely Dan's "Two against Nauture"...as good as it is, it's hard to accept the horn section (with the great deceased Cornelias Bumpas) coming from the left and behind and vocals from the surround right!! Why?? I'm almost jerking around looking for it! I guess it's done this way for the 'Home theater in a box' crowd to impress their friends....Hey, LOOK, Mon, I can afford 5 speakers!!

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

That is a good reference article. I read about those experiments also in the past. The paper I read indicated that those 3 channels were for the front sound stage as at the time they didn't experiment with surround sound as best I know. And, that 3 was it. The problem early on was how to master, stamp and reproduce more than 1 ch. 2ch didn't come to reality until the 50s if I remember correctly.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

UFObuster;322022...The multichannel business is driven by the movie industry. It's all about sound effects....car crashes said:
Yes, that is where 5.1+ really took off. After all, what movies try to convey is what one would see and hear in the world out there sound from 360 degrees and 180 degrees overhead, not like a symphony presentation where the action is up front but the concert hall adds with its soundfield that two speakers just cannot reproduce and in a small room at that.
:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I guess I can't generalize SACD & DVD-A. Some recordings may not be as good as others.
So which is better? DVD-A or SACD?:)
I can't tell the difference. But theoretically, shouldn't DVD-A have the advantage since DVD-A can hold up to 4 GB+ and SACD is less than 1 GB?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I can't tell the difference. But theoretically, shouldn't DVD-A have the advantage since DVD-A can hold up to 4 GB+ and SACD is less than 1 GB?
Well, if a music concert or series needs the 4gig space, that is better, if they put it all on one disc:D and is in multi channel.
Otherwise it doesn't matter if you like them equally, get the less expensive so you can buy more of them:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis