Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Which Yamaha models did you have issues with? My BD-S681 BluRay player is going strong without any problems at all. If you don't like Yamaha, one can pick up a SonyUBP-X800 4K player that also plays SACD for under $200 and will sound every bit as good as the Oppo. As far as CD playback goes, the Oppo holds no advantage over any other CD player.
my night mare with Yammie was with two AVR's in the past, both crapped out under warranty only to be repaired and die again a short time later. I moved on (Denon), never to go back.

Now, over the years I've had several Yamaha snowmobiles and loved every one of them !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Before getting my OPPO I used a Panasonic Bluray Player with 5.1 analog output which allowed enjoyment of multi-channel Bluray Music. I would in fact not have purchased an OPPO if there was a large catalog of Blueray music out there, but there isn't, unless rock concert videos are your thing. At any rate, the OPPO plays 'em all: CDs, Bluray Music, and SACDs (stereo or multi-channel). And, for less than $600 for the 203 how can you go wrong, even if CDs are all that you have an interested in? Bottom-line is the OPPO is a top notch CD player, costing no more than equivalent CD players, which allows for expansion of means to enjoy music should interest in other means develop.
FWIW I don't find the catalog of multich SACDs all that great for what I'm interested in either, and multi-ch audio on bluray is definitely limited too (as was dvd). My little inexpensive Sony bluray players do just fine with either format, tho. I only use the player as transport so investing a lot for the analog section isn't something that appeals a lot to me, and the $600 level appeals a lot more than the $1500 level accordingly.

The OP has to rely on the player in the way of an analog section and imagine his current player for 2ch playback is going to do just fine until it stops working compared to buying a new unit....IMO.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I don't find the catalog of multich SACDs all that great for what I'm interested in either, and multi-ch audio on bluray is definitely limited too (as was dvd). My little inexpensive Sony bluray players do just fine with either format, tho. I only use the player as transport so investing a lot for the analog section isn't something that appeals a lot to me, and the $600 level appeals a lot more than the $1500 level accordingly.

The OP has to rely on the player in the way of an analog section and imagine his current player for 2ch playback is going to do just fine until it stops working compared to buying a new unit....IMO.

I ended up expanding my listening as a result of SACD / DVD-A though. You start to hear about the best recorded titles and give them a shot and now you have new music. This is how I discovered Porcupine Tree - In Absentia was the first time I had heard of them and it was because of the insanely good 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson on the DVD-A.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I ended up expanding my listening as a result of SACD / DVD-A though. You start to hear about the best recorded titles and give them a shot and now you have new music. This is how I discovered Porcupine Tree - In Absentia was the first time I had heard of them and it was because of the insanely good 5.1 mix by Steven Wilson on the DVD-A.
LOL wish we could clone Steven and get him remixing even more stuff! I was turned on to Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson before I knew about their multich stuff (but didn't take me long to find out), and accounts for a great deal of what I've got so far. I'm just running into not much more in multich SACD that appeals lately....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The good titles tend to be much harder to find these days on both DVD-A and SACD. I haven't bought many recently.

Steven is basically releasing everything on Blu-ray in DTS-HD MA instead now too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis