CD player under 100 dollars that is okay?

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
I recently got a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s and listened to a few records on them before switching over to my old 7 dollar CD player I got at a flea market a year ago. The records sounded great even though I was using probably the cheapest record player available (Audio Technica APLT60). On the other hand, my CD's sounded awful, which I should've expected. Are there any decent CD players under 100 dollars that I could find or should I start frequenting yard sales? Alternatively, would it be better to possibly skip CD's for now at least and just get a good MP3 player? I know that as long as the MP3's have a high bit rate, most people (if anyone) can tell a difference. Here is the MP3 player that I'm looking at getting, https://www.amazon.com/Guaranty-Hi-res-Lossless-Interface-Supports/dp/B01N7MU0SS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1512241443&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hifi+mp3+player&psc=1

B

bobdehunt

Audioholic Intern
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Craigslist is a good option if you have more time than money.
Generally any mainstream home audio CD player will be a good option, just be sure to test it before you buy. also listen to the mechanism. Some get pretty noisy (just like the ones on your desktop/laptop can).
I returned a Samsung DVD player because of teh noise it made spinning up and indexing between "chapters".
On paper it was a great deal, but having a player that calls so much attention to itself is not something I could live with.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I recently got a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s and listened to a few records on them before switching over to my old 7 dollar CD player I got at a flea market a year ago. The records sounded great even though I was using probably the cheapest record player available (Audio Technica APLT60). On the other hand, my CD's sounded awful, which I should've expected. Are there any decent CD players under 100 dollars that I could find or should I start frequenting yard sales? Alternatively, would it be better to possibly skip CD's for now at least and just get a good MP3 player? I know that as long as the MP3's have a high bit rate, most people (if anyone) can tell a difference. Here is the MP3 player that I'm looking at getting, https://www.amazon.com/Guaranty-Hi-res-Lossless-Interface-Supports/dp/B01N7MU0SS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1512241443&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=hifi+mp3+player&psc=1
Congrats...the Diamond 10 is a well respected speaker...in a small room, you're well on your way to a great sounding system.

"records sounded great"...for now, I rather see you listen to your records.

You can buy a quality DAC for relatively cheap and pair it with your CD player and just use it as a transport. Aside from that my experience with cheap CD players is a short life span...I'd wait until I had about $200-$250 and you can get a nice CD player.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I got lucky and scored a Sony 300 CD changer a year ago at a thrift store for super cheap. It's the ultimate in laziness, and has excellent sound quality. There are some 200 disc changers on fleabay within your price range, though none are quite the steal I achieved at a thrift store. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&rmvSB=true&_sop=15&_nkw=sony+200+disc+cd+changer&rt=nc
I like my old Pio even better!

Why?

B/c the discs go in fold-out trays, 4x trays that hold 25 discs each. You can swap up to 75 discs while a disc in 1 of the trays is playing.

Adding discs, just "roll them in". Removing discs, just stick a finger through the row of holes in the CDs.

I used to have one of those Sony models, but I sold it and kept the Pio.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-PD-F100-101-100-Disc-CD-Changer-Mega-Storage-Jukebox-Vintage/263175187773?epid=2254350216&hash=item3d4676ad3d:g:QQgAAOSwU2VZpcTz

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I like my old Pio even better!

Why?

B/c the discs go in fold-out trays, 4x trays that hold 25 discs each. You can swap up to 75 discs while a disc in 1 of the trays is playing.

Adding discs, just "roll them in". Removing discs, just stick a finger through the row of holes in the CDs.

I used to have one of those Sony models, but I sold it and kept the Pio.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-PD-F100-101-100-Disc-CD-Changer-Mega-Storage-Jukebox-Vintage/263175187773?epid=2254350216&hash=item3d4676ad3d:g:QQgAAOSwU2VZpcTz
Sorry, what? I couldn't hear you over my 300 CDs. Three. Hundred.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Craigslist is a good option if you have more time than money.
Generally any mainstream home audio CD player will be a good option, just be sure to test it before you buy. also listen to the mechanism. Some get pretty noisy (just like the ones on your desktop/laptop can).
I returned a Samsung DVD player because of teh noise it made spinning up and indexing between "chapters".
On paper it was a great deal, but having a player that calls so much attention to itself is not something I could live with.
I agree. You could also try Thrift stores in your area. Just make sure you test the player by putting a CD in it and making sure it plays. Ebay is another option, though you might want to restrict your searches for units that are near you and allow for local pickup instead of shipping (shipping costs you more, and can endanger the unit, if someone packs it improperly).

I am currently using a used Integra CDC-3.1 in my main 2-channel system. I probably paid about $50 for it a few years ago. Other mainstream brands are fine, and which is most suitable depends in part on what features you like.

Oh yeah, and it sounds good. I listen to it through these speakers:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150910160459fw_/http://www.apogeespeakers.com/stage.htm

I do not use it simply because it was cheap. I use it because it is good and has features I like.

And your idea of yard sales is also a good one. Again, just make sure you test it by playing a CD in it before you buy it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Another option would be to get a DVD player which will also play all CDs. The OP just has to make sure that it has analog stereo RCA outputs.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Another option would be to get a DVD player which will also play all CDs. The OP just has to make sure that it has analog stereo RCA outputs.
That depends on his pre. I use the TosLink optical connector for CD's on my DVD player (and HDMI for BD/DVD).

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I would stay with a cheap or used CD player until you have the time to rip your CDs to a lossless format (FLAC or Apple Lossless) that you can store on hard drives and stream to your music system. Fancy CD players are just soooooo 2005. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis