CD player Fidelity Differences?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Thank you for this test.

The results speaks for itself:
"How can it be possible that a basic system with such a price difference against the "reference" one, poorly placed, using the cheapest signal cables found, couldn't be distinguished from the more expensive one? And, most of it all, how come the cheap system was chosen by so many people as the best sounding of the two? Shouldn't the differences be so evident that it'd be a child's game to pick the best? Well, we think that each can reach to its own conclusion..."

This begs the question, why are there so many CD player reviews claiming the unit sounds better than XYZ or rating it as THE best CD player? Or audiophile articles that claim you should buy the most expensive CD player you can afford.

Example:
"If you’re upgrading or changing your player, it pays to buy the best you can realistically afford. After all, if the maximum information isn't being retrieved from the disc, it's impossible to replace the lost data further down the playback chain. Spending extra money will usually buy you better build and improved sound quality."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What gear in audio doesn't claim to be better than its competitors? If the player is losing information something's wrong of course, but how did they quantify "maximum information being retrieved from the disc"? Did they do a bit by bit comparison? Whathifi I consider a poor source of information altogether myself.

Quality of construction could well be something that could be better in a player, maybe the feature/connectivity set. Many of the cd players over many years from what I've read even used the same basic Sony innards that many probably thought "different" too. I remember when Ayre came up with a $10k "better" player that was basically a repackaged Oppo.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you for this test.

The results speaks for itself:
"How can it be possible that a basic system with such a price difference against the "reference" one, poorly placed, using the cheapest signal cables found, couldn't be distinguished from the more expensive one? And, most of it all, how come the cheap system was chosen by so many people as the best sounding of the two? Shouldn't the differences be so evident that it'd be a child's game to pick the best? Well, we think that each can reach to its own conclusion..."

This begs the question, why are there so many CD player reviews claiming the unit sounds better than XYZ or rating it as THE best CD player? Or audiophile articles that claim you should buy the most expensive CD player you can afford.

Example:
"If you’re upgrading or changing your player, it pays to buy the best you can realistically afford. After all, if the maximum information isn't being retrieved from the disc, it's impossible to replace the lost data further down the playback chain. Spending extra money will usually buy you better build and improved sound quality."

Well part of the problem is reading reviews from what hifi and lending credence to them.

It's the same reason some will tell you to get the most expensive cables, separates, prepro, amp... vinyl sounds better than digital, you need a power conditioner and don't forget the ceramic cable risers!

Here, check this out. They explain the science behind it and everything!

mikro-pebbles.jpg

Brilliant Pebbles! One of my favorites!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well part of the problem is reading reviews from what hifi and lending credence to them.

It's the same reason some will tell you to get the most expensive cables, separates, prepro, amp... vinyl sounds better than digital, you need a power conditioner and don't forget the ceramic cable risers!

Here, check this out. They explain the science behind it and everything!

View attachment 38643

Brilliant Pebbles! One of my favorites!
Large Brilliant Pebbles On the floor in room corners, Large size Brilliant Pebbles reduces comb filter effects caused by very high sound pressure levels that develop in the corners when music is playing - as much as 3 or 4 times higher than the average sound pressure level in the room!! The Large size Brilliant Pebbles is also effective on tube amp Output Transformers; on top of speaker cabinets; and on armboards of turntables. Other effective locations include on top of Tube Traps; on side walls at the first reflection points; on the wall behind the listener position at points of high pressure; or anywhere in the 3 dimensional space of the room where a sharp rise in sound pressure relative to the average sound pressure in the room is measured using a test tone and sound pressure meter. Price $99 each.

Mini Brilliant Pebbles
- Comes in a small clear plastic ziplock bag. This smaller Brilliant Pebbles is effective on top of CD/DVD/SACD players above the transport. Also, on top of DAC; turntable armboard; proximity to small electron tubes; and on tube traps and room lenses. Placed on the amp power cord connector on the amp end of the cord. Minis can also taped to glass doors, windows and the glass of pictures on the wall to control resonance. $59each.

Mikro Brilliant Pebbles
- The small but powerful Mikro Brilliant Pebbles comes in a small ziplock bag and is intended for use in proximity to low level electron tubes in electronics and for all interconnects and digital cables, draped over or taped to the RCA connector at one or both ends of the cable. Also, on the power cord connector on the amp side. One or two Mikros is very effective placed on top of Quantum Electraclear & Quantum Symphony parallel line purifiers. Mikros can also be taped to glass doors and windows to control resonances. $29 each.
Large Brilliant Pebbles - aka rocks. Price $99 each.
Mini Brilliant Pebbles
- aka pea gravel. $59each.
Mikro Brilliant Pebbles
- aka sand. $29 each.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh I dunno. I'd like to think he at least uses aquarium grade gravel. :p

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Oh I dunno. I'd like to think he at least uses aquarium grade gravel. :p
Speaking of aquarium grade pebbles is anyone using a DAC between their CD player and AVR/integrated amp? Did it improve the sound quality? What brand? Thanks!

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
"Lover Man" by Billie Holiday, CD from the Complete Decca recordings.
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 660S
Marantz CD5004 vs. TASCAM CD-A580 players.
phones plugged directly in jacks on CD players.
disc cleaned of surface dust each play.
The Marantz sounded better (less harsh than the TASCAM)
I played the first 90 seconds of that song on each player.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis