Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
WRT tyhe keys, it didn't really matter since the locks would have been pretty worn by then and if it was like the '66 Fairlane a friend owned, almost any key would work. He was getting ready to leave work during a cold snap and started his engine, so it would be warm inside and inadvertently locked the door. He came back inside and wasn't happy, so I offered to try my key to open the door lock and it worked- I had a '67 LTD.
This was a spare set of keys, so the purchaser had one set of originals. I found these later after the car was gone. I keep hoping he contact's my brother-in-law so that I can return them to their rightful owner. If you're right then I suppose I could go to a local car rally and if the keys work in someone's Vic' I could donate them. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
This was a spare set of keys, so the purchaser had one set of originals. I found these later after the car was gone. I keep hoping he contact's my brother-in-law so that I can return them to their rightful owner. If you're right then I suppose I could go to a local car rally and if the keys work in someone's Vic' I could donate them. :)
While my LTD wasn't in great condition, I think I would buy another one. It never failed to start in the worst Winter weather (it was WAYYYY too loose to not crank) and was pretty comfy. Not a bad looking car when they were in good shape, was fairly zippy with the 289, too.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
From the link, Ford used injection on all of their V6 and V8 engines, starting in 1986. Drag racers were using mechanical injection systems in the '50s and Chrysler offered a Chrysler/Bendix system as an option in 1958.

It also shows that a crude injection system was included in a motorcycle patent from 1896.

Yeah cars not real well known till the 90s.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I think it was a dodge charger truck from the 80s. Can't remember. Looked kinda like a Bronco. Best starter I had till my current 97 camey. For a big vehicle superb starter. All my others needed a plug in but the Dodge started up with barely a crank.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
From the link, Ford used injection on all of their V6 and V8 engines, starting in 1986. Drag racers were using mechanical injection systems in the '50s and Chrysler offered a Chrysler/Bendix system as an option in 1958.

It also shows that a crude injection system was included in a motorcycle patent from 1896.

GM under their Rochester Products Div introduced fuel injection (mechanical) in 1957

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I think it was a dodge charger truck from the 80s. Can't remember. Looked kinda like a Bronco. Best starter I had till my current 97 camey. For a big vehicle superb starter. All my others needed a plug in but the Dodge started up with barely a crank.
you're close, it was called the 'Ramcharger'

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
you're close, it was called the 'Ramcharger'
Haha! My sons friend bought and restored one this summer. It’s his “first car”. Gutless emissions based turd, but came out nice and clean.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Haha! My sons friend bought and restored one this summer. It’s his “first car”. Gutless emissions based turd, but came out nice and clean.
It's amazing what these old relics (Ramchargers, K-Blazers, Broncos, Scoutmasters) will fetch $$ wise out in Colorado. They have become cult classics for the off road crowd out there.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's amazing what these old relics (Ramchargers, K-Blazers, Broncos, Scoutmasters) will fetch $$ wise out in Colorado. They have become cult classics for the off road crowd out there.
Those are expensive everywhere. Any of the K-Blazer/Jimmy are still going for $15k everywhere I've looked. Broncos are close, but Ramchargers and Scouts are very rare around here.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Didn't see a price attached to the video I saw or that article at first, altho this article calls it $1M...later was checking out a video of the latest KTM car and it was 280,000 euro. The basic Ariel/KTM track cars were more reasonable priced before....
20k ;). I've seen a couple 3-wheelers in my area.
1664289178016.png

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
While my LTD wasn't in great condition, I think I would buy another one. It never failed to start in the worst Winter weather (it was WAYYYY too loose to not crank) and was pretty comfy. Not a bad looking car when they were in good shape, was fairly zippy with the 289, too.
I was surprised that the 292 was ok on the highway with just a 2-barrel and 2-speed transmission. No power steering so it had a steering wheel like a bus but the big bench seats were comfy. I was going to get a '56 6-pack for the car to up the performance and keep it original but that vision never materialized. Gas was much cheaper back then. ;)

highfigh

highfigh

GM under their Rochester Products Div introduced fuel injection (mechanical) in 1957
I think Borg Warner and a few others did, too- drag racers and hobbyists started experimenting with them, just after WWII, when they became available as military surplus.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I was surprised that the 292 was ok on the highway with just a 2-barrel and 2-speed transmission. No power steering so it had a steering wheel like a bus but the big bench seats were comfy. I was going to get a '56 6-pack for the car to up the performance and keep it original but that vision never materialized. Gas was much cheaper back then. ;)
I don't remember the actual price of gas at the time, but 29.9 cents/gal seems about right. I don't remember spending more than five bucks at a time. That comes to almost 17 gallons for $5.

I miss those days- I'm thinking of meeting a friend in central Missouri next month and with the current price, it looks like ~$250 just for gas. At 29.9 cents and 15 MPG, it would be about $29.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I htink Borg Warner and a few others did, too- drag racers and hobbyists started experimenting with them, just after WWII, when they became available as military surplus.
I meant with regards to use in GM products. a '57 fuelie BelAir or Corvette will fetch big bucks today as would a '63 SWC Corvette

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I meant with regards to use in GM products. a '57 fuelie BelAir or Corvette will fetch big bucks today as would a '63 SWC Corvette
Yep. You don't see too many C1 Corvettes running around.

I've seen 3 C8s in town though. Neat car. Feel bad for my friend though. GM told him it'd be 3+ years before he'd be able to buy the C8 Z06.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I don't remember the actual price of gas at the time, but 29.9 cents/gal seems about right. I don't remember spending more than five bucks at a time. That comes to almost 17 gallons for $5.

I miss those days- I'm thinking of meeting a friend in central Missouri next month and with the current price, it looks like ~$250 just for gas. At 29.9 cents and 15 MPG, it would be about $29.
I have a 9 hour drive to DC in October and back again. Gasoline is going to be a major component of the expenses. At least it's cheaper in the U.S. than Canada.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
A buddy built the Exocet, a kit from Flyin Mita that is an Ariel Atom chassis with Miata parts grafted on. His has the full cage, roof and lights and is street legal.
I love the Ariel Atom videos from the Nürburgring. They can easily keep up with the 'vettes and Porsches.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I love the Ariel Atom videos from the Nürburgring. They can easily keep up with the 'vettes and Porsches.
the v8 variant could more than keep up with them :) 500hp and 1400lbs. Only 25 official variants built, but the chassis accepts most LS V8s.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis