Carada Criterion Projector Screen Review

I was somewhat surprised the other day when my FedEx delivery man struck up a conversation with me about front projection systems. It seems that the incredible value they offer in terms of price per square inch has started to catch on with the mainstream. Add to that projector/screen deals from the likes of QVC and Costco/SAMs Club and you've got a recipe for rapid wide adoption of the technology. This was made even further evident when the <EM>UPS guy</EM> struck up a similar conversation with me and even offered to buy my old high-power pull down screen. The world, it seems it getting into front projectors. The question is will they realize that in order to get the best possible picture from their investment, they will need to project the image onto something a little better than an off-white wall. Carada's new Criterion Series projector screens provide a professional fixed screen system for a surprising&nbsp;value.

[Read the Review]

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the review Clint. I am looking for a fixed screen as my Da-Lite pull-down just isn't up to par with the rest of the system. David was awesome to deal with. I'm not sure what screen material I want to go with so he is sending me a sample of each. It's great when a company goes above and beyond.

G

Grump

Audiophyte
Carada Screens

So would you say the Carada screens are still a good buy for the money? I have a Panasonic PT-AE900U I haven't opened until I get back to the states in June and I'm lookin to buy a 100 - 140 inch screen depending on how big my wall is.

Should I go with the Criterion or the Precision and should I get the classic cinema white, brilliant white, or the high contrast grey?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Grump

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have installed these and while I haven't used the classic white, I have used the brilliant white and have found it to be a fairly robust material and the build quality to be excellent. For the difference in price, I view the Criterion as a better choice overall - the frame is just a lot more stable and the beveled edge enhances the look of the screen as well as provides less chance for shadowing.

Bottom line, the difference in price between the Precision and Criterion screens is all about the frame cost and design change and the price difference is 'fair'. If it were a lot more expensive, then it wouldn't be cool and if it were much cheaper, then it would likely need to compromise build quality... or just be called one heck of a bargain.

As for the screens themselves: For the money, there is nothing out there that I would consider better for your money. You get a build quality that is similar to Stewart for a price that is far less than DaLite or Draper... That sounds EXACTLY like a great deal to me. There are do-it-yourself techniques that are very good as well, but I think my money would go towards a nice Criterion brilliant white screen most days of the week.

G

Grump

Audiophyte
Carada

So you wouldn't recommend the high contrast grey? I thought that would be better to get deeper blacks. And these screens, I would have to put it together myself right, how easy is it to assemble?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
So you wouldn't recommend the high contrast grey? I thought that would be better to get deeper blacks. And these screens, I would have to put it together myself right, how easy is it to assemble?
Most people view front projection in a light controlled room, in those cases high contrast grey does nothing to help. If you have a new projector, then it is rarely necessary to go with grey screens. I have a grey screen with my fairly low contrast Panasonic PT-L300U and I have compared it to a white 1.1 gain screen - if I had my way (I don't) I would use a 1.4 gain screen instead of grey. I think brilliant white is appropriate for about 90% of installations... or more.

As for assembly, it takes about 2 hours to assemble and hang. Just go to the hardware store and pick up a stud finder and some EZ wall anchors.

I hung a 160" screen last Saturday and it took a little over 2 hours to do it myself. That's one big ol' screen I was hangin'!

G

Grump

Audiophyte
I have the PT-AE900U (wish I new the PT-AE100U was coming out) and I haven't ordered a screen yet. So you think the brilliant white would be the best option for me?

Grump

:mad:

flavor30

flavor30

Audiophyte
To the OP, I know this is a super-old thread, but it was the only one I could find regarding a used 92 inch Carada projector screen! I found one for $80. Is it a good deal? Or would it be better to get a new Silver Ticket or Elite from Amazon?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If the screen surface is unblemished, the quality of Carada screens is a good deal better than Silver Ticket or the Elite entry level screens can offer. The size sounds a bit small, but if your viewing from about 9' away, then it may be appropriate. I've sold used screens before and they can be tough to sell, so the price is reflective of the market, not of the quality of the screen.

You can't get replacement fabric anymore, so be sure to check it out first.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH.

Well, the OP is no longer here. BMX has a good point, of course.
If you can have an in person look of the condition, $80 is not a lot to gamble with. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis