Y

yousmeg

Audiophyte
Im thinking about buying this guys used setup.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120533497314&fromMakeTrack=true#ht_561wt_1165

How will this be in a classic mini's boot? Too much for the battery? (all i can see on the battery is "12V L1 250")

Thanks, James.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Could be too much for the battery but it will definitely be too much for the alternator and that may be more important.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
As long as it's 12v and it has an alternator, it will work.

But for how long? Not long, and not well. Odds are, if you keep the stock battery and alt. the headlights will flicker when you're listening to music. Sometimes they'll turn off. Your gauges will go haywire at any time, and you can no longer listen to the radio when you're car is not running, as the battery will die very quickly.

I do battery upgrades and new alternators about 50% of the time when I do installs for clients. It's not incredibly hard, but on a mini, it could be a tight squeeze to get the alt. off. Battery may have to be relocated to the trunk/boot if you can't fit a bigger one.

Too bad you're not nearby, it seems you live across the pond. I do all my installs for:
Parts Cost +10% of parts, and $20 an hour labor. Pretty reasonable.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
As long as it's 12v and it has an alternator, it will work.

But for how long? Not long, and not well. Odds are, if you keep the stock battery and alt. the headlights will flicker when you're listening to music. Sometimes they'll turn off. Your gauges will go haywire at any time, and you can no longer listen to the radio when you're car is not running, as the battery will die very quickly.

I do battery upgrades and new alternators about 50% of the time when I do installs for clients. It's not incredibly hard, but on a mini, it could be a tight squeeze to get the alt. off. Battery may have to be relocated to the trunk/boot if you can't fit a bigger one.

Too bad you're not nearby, it seems you live across the pond. I do all my installs for:
Parts Cost +10% of parts, and $20 an hour labor. Pretty reasonable.
Why risk killing the alternator while he's on the road, with Murphy's Law as prevalent as it is? That's a safety concern and I wouldn't recommend running amps on a little battery and alternator, ever. I have seen battery terminals melt off of batteries because too much current was being drawn, for too long and I won't make final connections until the charging/electrical system is up to the task. I have seen many cars on flatbed trucks that burned to the ground because the electrical system was compromised by an installer who either didn't know what they were doing, or they didn't care to do it right.

British cars have a bad enough reputation for their electrical systems- why push your luck?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis