Car modding/projects thread!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Hello everyone,

With the purchase of my car, the gears in my head haven't stopped turning. A friend of mine is in the beginning stages of a motor swap for his car (87 CRX, which will be powered by a D16A1 black top) and it's really influencing me, and my car.

I own an 89 Civic Si with a D16A6(non VTEC 1.6L), and while googling looking for performance parts, I found an article called "Mini Me swap". Turns out, "Mini Me" refers to putting a VTEC head on a non VTEC block. The head comes from a 92-95 Civic Si/EX. It bolts directly on, and only requires a couple little modifications to function properly.

This is the Article

I was discussing this with some fello Honda owners at work (who have performed engine swaps in there own cars) and one said he had a D16Z6 head, with a freshly machined cam, with new valves that was re-surfaced at home. He said that it would work, and all I needed to do was get it pressure tested to make sure it functions and it was mine for $200.

So, hopefully in he coming months I will have a VTEC powered Civic Si with a nice AEM Short-Ram intake (Xmas present). The exhaust needs to be re-done, but I'm going to wait for the summer months to deal with that.

I know a couple memebrs on these boards have modified Honda's (JG), and I was wondering if they'd like to share some storys about their cars.

SheepStar

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Intake/Clear Corners!

Greetings,

For Xmas I asked for money towards an AEM Short Ram intake. I picked it up and intalled it on my car today, and before that (week or 2) I installed some JDM style clear corners.

New Intake:

Clear Corners:

I'm currently working on another project with a D16A6 valve cover. It's the same one as I have, but I'm going to repaint it so it matches my intake. Once its done I'll do the same thing with my current valve cover and paint it another color. Then I can have 2 different hood themes.

After that, might do strut bars and a fuel rail. the Z6 head project was scrapped due to cost/performance ratio. $450USD for a Vtec controller so I can get an extra 25Hp is not worth it. For $600CAD I could go Forced Induction and get another 75Hp.

Anywho, if anyone else wants to share their car projects they're more then welcome to.

SheepStar

Last edited:
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
You planning on racing that when you're done? Many moons ago, I knew a guy with a CRX that did some sort of legal racing. If I remember correctly, there were a limited number of modifications you could do (and of course, everyone did them). I never got a chance to see him race but I was very curious about the whole thing.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
No, no legal racing...

What year CRX did he have? I also know a guy modding a CRX ('87), which also isn't for legal racing. He's swapped the factor Carb motor for a D16A1 (Dual cam non VTEC 89 Teg' motor) which will receive about 15 -20Psi of boost. The cams have been built up and reground, as well as a new bottom end with grand vitara pistons which are perfect for boosting.

I'll get some photo's of his motor when I get a chance.

SheepStar

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
no heat shield for the intake? does canada have something equivalent to SCCA? back when i was in school i would auto-x as much as possible during the season, and hit up the track (road course) on occasion. the auto-x was like $20 and a hell of a good time

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
This car would need A LOT of work to be Auto X capable. The tires on it don't grip for crap, and it likes to come loose around corners. Maybe once I get full coilovers and strut tower braces on every corner it will have a shot.

For now, it's a straight line car. :)

SheepStar

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Way back in the day I had my own lil' hot rod a '72 Plymouth Duster. 383 big-block w/727 auto (Mopar sticks universally sucked way back when) shoehorned into the bay, hack to hacksaw the inner fenders. It was the best color (subLime Green), and could light 'em up anytime you wanted.

BUT, eventually I realised that for all the money I sunk into the ancient heap every week, i could have easily made the payments for a brand new car and had some bucks left-over. (But good luck finding a new popsicle-green car).

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
Speaking of going in a straight line, for a while I had a hugh 1969 Buick Duce and a Quarter (225 for the younger readers) Probably weighed around two tons. Interesting thing was that the original owner had ordered it with the 455 ci 11:1 compression ratio and a four barrel carb which put out 375 HP box stock. It went damned fast for it's size, got about 12 mpg and you needed to plan stopping and making turns well in advance.

Nick

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
Sheep said:
This car would need A LOT of work to be Auto X capable. The tires on it don't grip for crap, and it likes to come loose around corners. Maybe once I get full coilovers and strut tower braces on every corner it will have a shot.
SheepStar

its more about the driver than the car. i used to "race" my '84 (Mk1) Jetta Diesel (42hp) on snow tires with stock (1984) suspension. doesnt matter if you win, just if you have a good time. learn to drive your car at its limits before you mod it, that way you will take full advantage of the upgrades. why do you want coilovers? are you planning on changing your ride height often enough to spend the extra money?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
riceaterslc said:
its more about the driver than the car. i used to "race" my '84 (Mk1) Jetta Diesel (42hp) on snow tires with stock (1984) suspension. doesnt matter if you win, just if you have a good time. learn to drive your car at its limits before you mod it, that way you will take full advantage of the upgrades. why do you want coilovers? are you planning on changing your ride height often enough to spend the extra money?
My car has been lowered already (not the right way, cut the springs[not me]) and the shocks are shot. Rear right bushing makes squeaking noises. I'm going to keep it lowered, and replace the shocks, might as well get coilovers and be able to tune it correctly. Some sway bars would be really nice too.

My valve cover is coming along nicely. All the paint is off, and now I can start preping for the new Metalic Blue paint. I'll get some pics up later tonight.

Edit: By the way, a properly setup car should not spin its tired in 3rd gear going up a hill going around a corner.

SheepStar

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Way back in the day I had my own lil' hot rod a '72 Plymouth Duster. 383 big-block w/727 auto (Mopar sticks universally sucked way back when) shoehorned into the bay, hack to hacksaw the inner fenders. It was the best color (subLime Green), and could light 'em up anytime you wanted.

BUT, eventually I realised that for all the money I sunk into the ancient heap every week, i could have easily made the payments for a brand new car and had some bucks left-over. (But good luck finding a new popsicle-green car).
Now were talkin'!:cool:

I had a '73 Duster 340.(very modified) I have to respectfully disagree with the "mopar sticks" comment though. The New Prosses A833 4 Speed transmission was one of the strongest most durable manual transmissions of that era...Now the stock style clutches sucked gutter water...They used that tranny in everything from 340's to 440's and Hemis let alone trucks. I have very rarely ever seen one fail. The 727 automatic was not as durable as a ford C6 and could not touch a GM TH400 for reliabilaty. (All IMO of course.):)

Hey, but this is what makes the car hobby go around...endless discusion about what car or setup is better than the other. Got to love it, it's all good.:D

Take care,
SBF1

Oh yea...Hey Nick, I thought I was the only one who still used "duce and a quarter":D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Valve cover photos!

The Valve cover has been stripped and the raised lettering has been buffed clean. Tomorrow or Wednesday I'll pick up the paint and gasket set and beginning painting.

SheepStar

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sheep said:
For Xmas I asked for money towards an AEM Short Ram intake.
I know very little about cars. What exactly does an AEM Short Ram intake do?

Also, isn't there a problem with claiming insurance for a modded car in the event of an accident? The (few) people that I know that've messed with their cars have been well aware that the insurance company would void their cover if they were involved in an accident.

Sheep said:
The Valve cover has been stripped and the raised lettering has been buffed clean.
Aye, you'd make a good cleaner right enough. :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
These modifications are still complient with the emission and safety laws. It's just a thicker intake with a filter that flows more air. Everything that the stock intake had connected to it connects to this.

AEM is the company that makes the intake. Short Ram is the style of intake.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sell it and get an 86 or S13 :D

I'd say new pistons while you are in there, lightened flywheel and a good clutch and you should be all done. I/H/E don't really add all that much, but on a VTEC motor they do add a little. You'll want to replace the throttle body and intake manifold too, possibly, which would be more beneficial than the intake is. I dynoed a foam filter in the stock air box and that gave +2 HP alone, but with the full Comptech intake, it didn't really make a huge difference, just gave me better throttle response.

What about SUSPENSION? Suspension is what makes my DA fun to drive.

I loved my 91 Si (red). It was an excellent car that was very fun to drive. I was sad when I sold it, but extremely happy that I bought a GSR to replace it :cool:

True old school guys don't refer to the VTEC head swap as Mini Me, we call it Frankenstein :D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
j_garcia said:

I'd say new pistons while you are in there, lightened flywheel and a good clutch and you should be all done. I/H/E don't really add all that much, but on a VTEC motor they do add a little. You'll want to replace the throttle body and intake manifold too, possibly, which would be more beneficial than the intake is. I dynoed a foam filter in the stock air box and that gave +2 HP alone, but with the full Comptech intake, it didn't really make a huge difference, just gave me better throttle response.

What about SUSPENSION? Suspension is what makes my DA fun to drive.

I loved my 91 Si (red). It was an excellent car that was very fun to drive. I was sad when I sold it, but extremely happy that I bought a GSR to replace it :cool:

True old school guys don't refer to the VTEC head swap as Mini Me, we call it Frankenstein :D
The bottom end and head were just rebuilt, new rings and bearings/journals. I wouldn't do anything else other then I/H/E to this motor. If I wanted Hp, I'd build up a dual cam non-VTEC motor and boost it.

I have some more important things to work on right now, like my thermostat, which isn't functioning properly, and my front window, which has a big crack in it. I picked up a new Fuel Filter today and thermostat. Hopefully I will install them on thursday at work.

The intake manifold is fine. It's actually really good for factory. I'd like to get a better fuel rail and some better injectors, but those can wait.

SheepStar

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
j_garcia said:
RWD FTW!!!!

you could just keep this civic stock and save up for an E36 M3 or even a 318ti if you are more about handling than power :)

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
My wife drives a nice modded C32 AMG. It had some trick pulleys and kompressor work done to boost her HP to 430hp. She has H&R coilovers and some cute rims:

I will be flying down to LA to pick up my project car in a few weeks. A 700+ hp MB rocket for commuting and highway sprints. Almost everything in the engine, suspension, frame, exterior and transmission has been custom built or modified. We sheared off a few hundred pounds but it still tips the scale at a bit above 3000lbs. A total money pit and endless delays, but a fun process and it will defintely make for an interesting commuter car. I'll post real pics of the car shortly after it goes to final paint. These are just shots of the chromaly rollcage and custom CF seats. My next project car will be a track car based on something like an Elise or Atom.

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
What kind of car is that? You can't see anything form your photo...

What are you doing to the car?

SheepStar

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Sheep said:
What kind of car is that? You can't see anything form your photo...

What are you doing to the car?

SheepStar
The body style was a W208CLK and the car was already modded and pushing 500HP before it went out for this project. The W208 is the only MB I have really ever liked b/c it looks more like a German muscle car so I decided to go a little more nuts with it.

As noted, I'll post pictures after it gets out of paint. The exterior bodywork was redone to retain the basic W208 shape, but incorporates some custom fenders, hood, rear and front end work. We had to create room for 315s on the rear (previously 275s). Front and rear brakes where changed out to 15"s up front a 14"s on the rear. Suspension was rebuilt built with custom coilovers and more rigid, but lighter swaybars. Tranny was beefed up to handle the additional power, use a more aggressive torque converter and to create quicker shifts in the "tip" slushbox. Exhaust was completley rereouted to make it a true dual exhaust setup. Rear seats were eliminated and fronts were replaced with custom CF seats, as was most interior trim. Chromaly rollcage was installed.

The engine was replaced with a custom MB 6.3 liter V8 and modified Kleemann supercharger. That included custom pistons, rods, heads, etc.
The wiring/ECU was piggybacked with a standalone engine management system. This allows my tuners to modify parameters remotely per my request.

That's most of it, but I am glossing over details. The car WON'T look like this anymore, but here's a shot BEFORE this project began:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis