car audio woofer, box, and behringer amp?

S

Sounds Good

Senior Audioholic
Is it really that easy?.... some of you guys are following my other thread about a less then $700 store bought sub. Of which hsu and svs top my list.

Anyhow on to the DIY portion.

Being the tech nerd that I am I have an app on my phone that will search Craigslist for me and also notify me of postings meeting a specified critera.

One of the things I watch is subwoofers. I've noticed a JL W7 can be picked up in a ported box for a song.... pair that up with a behringer amp and I might have something for a fraction of store bought. Is this an option I should consider? Or am I wasting my time and more importantly my money?

L

lennon_68

Enthusiast
Depending on the price for the W7 (which one anyway - 13", 12", 10"?) I think it would be worth pursuing. Any details on the enclosure? Is building a new enclosure for it a possibility? Since it's designed for car use it's likely either ported and tuned high (somewhere around 40hz) or undersized sealed. Both will very likely sound like poo in an HT and will likely require a new enclosure (the sealed will roll off way too early and the ported will have an ugly hump in the FR with not much output above or below the tuning frequency). The W7 is the same driver used in the JL F112/F113 (12"/13") so they're definitely an option for an HT sub :)

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Car audio boxes are not going to work in a home audio box... pretty much never.

There are some excellent car audio woofers out there, of which JL W7s, Soundsplinter, and Infinity Kappas are some popular examples.

You will need to make a box yourself, properly modeled for a room application, not a car application. It will need to be more well-braced than what you get from car audio prefab.

Additionally, to ensure proper power handling and driver protection, you will need a high pass filter for most ported speakers.

If you're interested in DIY, I recommend it. But it actually needs to be DIY... pre fab will likely be a waste of time.

skyline_123

skyline_123

Audioholic
FWIW, I am currently demoing a friends JL 13w7 in a ~3 ft^3 sealed enclosure powered by the Behringer EP4000. All I can say is "WOW"! It's a beast!

As far as being enjoyable when watching movies like Iron Man II, I would easily consider it the winner against my Simple 12" Kappa Perfect sub, which is ported btw.

I'd raise your budget and get two 13w7's with an EP4000 and never look back! :D

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
If you're interested in DIY, I recommend it. But it actually needs to be DIY... pre fab will likely be a waste of time.
Well, personally I'd keep tabs on the Flat Pack thread at AVS, particularly for when lilmike finishes his horn design. I am already keeping somewhat decent tabs, waiting any day for someone to say, "Ok we have designed the cutouts for Statements!". :D My sub was a flatpack kit.

Um, btw, what would you consider the minimum amount of space between front and sidewalls and either Statements/MiniStatements? For bonis points!

annunaki

annunaki

The W7 series drivers are not your average "car" sub. They are a stellar performer in a home environment either sealed or vented.

Let me know if you need any assistance with an enclosure design should you pursue this route.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis