Car Audio Custom 3 way A pillar build SCANSPEAK drivers

T

Thegenuinearticle

Enthusiast
Hello gentlemen! Yes I know the forum is generally for home A/V but I thought you might like to see my madness which also carries over onto four wheels. I get bored from time to time and tell myself "it's possible to get things to sound good in the car" and before I know it a project is set in place. I've been involved with fabrication voodoo for twenty years now. The pillars are constructed by all manner of demonic alchemy including epoxies, fiberglass/ reinforced filler, expanding urethane foam, glazing putty, texture spray, spray paint, and a little wood for good measure. Enjoy the build pics!

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Going to do a bit of a write-up with more details? Looks good.

T

Thegenuinearticle

Enthusiast
It is all actively filtered. All drivers are Scanspeak. Tweeters are the small format illuminator beryllium domes, midrange is the 3 inch 10f, doors are the revelator 7 inch, and the subwoofer is the Discovery 12 inch. The crossover points are all 24 Db @ 3kh HP for tweeters, mids are high passed @ 315 HZ / low passed to 3 kh, doors are low passed to 315 HZ / high passed to 65 HZ, and subwoofer is low passed @ 65 HZ 24db as well.

Sounds pretty good...Not a super loud setup but I never was going for that. I wanted to keep the setup lightweight hence the use of so much plywood rather than MDF( not really bonkers for the stuff anyway). Roughly 65 watts allocated to each of the tweeters/mids, 200 watts per door, and roughly 550 watts for the subwoofer....

Here is a little sample of the setup with some electronic music on youtube...Bass is a little heavy but its car audio and for this type of music its fun... Mids and highs are pretty impressive and even from this little clip with the phone mic you can get a sense of what kind of quality they have.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
No grills? :D

That's some serious bodywork skill there. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I had an old Zapco mono amp for the sub I built into my li'l Nissan pickup truck. They make great amps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis