Caper's TRIO12 + 2 PRs Sub Build

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Here are some SPL readings I took at 1 meter with sub located as per photo above.
  • I used a Realistic (Radio Shack) digital SPL meter model 33-2055.
  • I had re-run YPAO prior to readings, and had gain on sub's amp at 11 o'clock.
  • The sub's "EQ Level" knob was set to the ZERO mark and other EQ knobs set to min settings.(therefore removing any EQing by the amp)
  • Receiver volume was brought close to or at "0".
  • I used correction values for the meter found at HTS. No decimals used. (0.5 or higher was rounded up. 0.4 and below was dropped.
Read in 3 columns: Frequency -- Raw SPL reading -- corrected SPL value

Freq --- SPL --- Corrected
16 Hz -- 91 dB -- 104 dB
18 Hz -- 103 dB -- 114 dB
20 Hz -- 109 dB -- 118 dB
22 Hz -- 111 dB -- 119 dB
25 Hz -- 111 dB -- 118 dB
28 Hz -- 112 dB -- 117 dB
31.5Hz-- 110 dB -- 114 dB
35 Hz -- 105 dB -- 109 dB
40 Hz -- 102 dB -- 105 dB
45 Hz -- 105 dB -- 107 dB
I would consider that to be excellent performance - especially when you consider the investment.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Did you get those FQ sweeps from HTS as well? I would like to run some sweeps and use those correction values and one day work with REW but I figure I better learn to crawl before I run...:eek:.

Glad your happy with your TRIO...at one point it was on my radar...just wish I had gone with PR's vs. port on my build.

Nice job on the sub....it took awhile but well worth the effort!:D

Regards,Bill....:)

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Did you get those FQ sweeps from HTS as well?
You mean the tones? If so, Yep. I was actually frightened to keep bringing to volume up during the readings because the sub is just SO powerful sounding (and looking too, during the sweeps). Stuff around the room was shaking like crazy and my bathroom door felt like there was something trapped inside trying to escape! :) I was actually "warping".

Glad your happy with your TRIO...at one point it was on my radar...just wish I had gone with PR's vs. port on my build.
Yeah, the external tuning is a GREAT idea and feature to have.

Nice job on the sub....it took awhile but well worth the effort!:D
Thanks man. More like it took a while to get it started! :D I knew it would, with summer and all, but I knew if I didn't buy the kit when I did, I would end up spending the money on something else...

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Added some wheels because it is just too heavy to move about with floor spikes:

caper26

caper26

Full Audioholic
Started sub #2 already. It is also a TRIO12, but with a single 15" PR. Router & circle jig makes that part actually fun. The only not-so-fun-part is the interior brace. I haven't figured out an "easy" way of doing it. I am doing it the same way as in this build, except it is oriented differently, and I have to offset it from the edges of the panels, and will use a wasted piece of MDF for proper spacing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis